Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
zinger54
CF Newbie

Master or slave?

I have an '86 Ford Ranger. 2.9L , Fuel injected , 5 spd. My clutch pedel is leaking down while sitting at a red light with the pedel depressed, but I am not using any hydrolic fluid. ( I do not have to add hydrolic fluid to the clutch master cylinder). Correct me if I am wrong, but it would seem to me that if it were the clutch slave cylinder that was the problem it would be leaking. And if it was the clutch master cylinder being the problem , the plunger (or piston) could be letting fluid passby. Therefor no leaking fluid. Right?
zinger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
yeah your right the seals in your master could be letting fluid by, ive seen it a few times but usually because someone put tranni fluid or motor oil in the master, which swelled the seals and rotted them very quickly, i think yours has an external; slave if i were you id throw on a new master and bleed the line, make sure you bench bnleed it first cuz the angle that they put those masters in is absolutely retarded and hard to bleed once it's in, or was that the s-10 ahh shit i can't remember, anyway goodluck, i would use factory parts cuz ive run into wierd shite with aftermarket pushrods not being long enough and slave cylinder bore sizes being different which will change the length of stroke on the slave
Old 07-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
yeah your right the seals in your master could be letting fluid by, ive seen it a few times but usually because someone put tranni fluid or motor oil in the master, which swelled the seals and rotted them very quickly, i think yours has an external; slave if i were you id throw on a new master and bleed the line, make sure you bench bnleed it first cuz the angle that they put those masters in is absolutely retarded and hard to bleed once it's in, or was that the s-10 ahh shit i can't remember, anyway goodluck, i would use factory parts cuz ive run into wierd shite with aftermarket pushrods not being long enough and slave cylinder bore sizes being different which will change the length of stroke on the slave

he's right--ranger clutch master cylinders suck ass!

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger54
I have an '86 Ford Ranger. 2.9L , Fuel injected , 5 spd. My clutch pedel is leaking down while sitting at a red light with the pedel depressed, but I am not using any hydrolic fluid. ( I do not have to add hydrolic fluid to the clutch master cylinder). Correct me if I am wrong, but it would seem to me that if it were the clutch slave cylinder that was the problem it would be leaking. And if it was the clutch master cylinder being the problem , the plunger (or piston) could be letting fluid passby. Therefor no leaking fluid. Right?
As I understand it, a Slave cylinder and a Master cylinder, are the same thing.....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote