Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Sorry to have wasted your time.

I don't know why I even give a sh*t about making sure people actually know anything. Maybe I'm just looking for people worthy of respect.

But I concede the point. Forming and holding tightly to closed up opinions that are based on little or no knowledge and experience, is so much more a valuable goal than anything else an automotive enthusiast can aspire to. In fact, the best goal would be to learn and experience the least, but form and hold tight to as many opinions as you can invent.

I won't bother trying to change anyone's mind, or give the benfit of decades of experience, as your opinions are so much more valuable than any actual knowledge might be.

Sorry to waste your valuable time with anything approaching facts.

Oombah, youre right. Changing a car that the gods originally made in any way shape or form other than to make it faster (especially if you can't use any of that speed on the street) is stupid. And making a car faster is only worthwhile if it's already too fast to start with. Art, artistic expresssion, and kinetic sculpture is pointless. Youre lack of creativity and artistic ability, and hatreed of anyone who shows an aptitude for it as it relates to cars is indeed the way of the light.

importluver, youre right, too. When it comes to cars, rotaries were built by the hand of God, himself, and anyone who changes one out for an inferior piston engine is a heathen and should be shot. Just because it costs less to go faster and still work better in the chassis is no excuse for destroying utterly the work of the Lord.

I will strive to follow your shining examples from here on out. And if I happen to give any advice based at all on factual information or real experience, remind me to stop, so I won't offend anyone's tightly held, but unsubstantiated, opinions. Because those are the most bestest things anyone can have.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
relicensed
CF Enthusiast

well I gotta say, the camel has finally broken his back and it took many a straw from what I have witnessed.

Is this forum doomed to lose all actual knowledgeable (obviously not me from my spelling as you can see) members? I arrived here soon after the famous vbhobo disapeered. He seemed to have some facts behind his words from the little I've read, I also arrived around the same time as the infamous "What".
Just from that I'd say your right in your theory chrisv.

I better not stick my nose in too much though for fear of a flaming I can't be bothered with.

Just one thing chris, you must remember that you thought you knew it all when you were a kid!? just have the knowledge (?) that eventually others will realise their limitations. They wont ever admit them! but they will realise them at the very least.
relicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicensed
Just one thing chris, you must remember that you thought you knew it all when you were a kid!?

No, actually. My dad was a teacher, and he taught me to listen to people who had experience and knowledge. I wound't go to a car event and start acting like I knew more than the people building or racing the cars there, and I listened to them.

This whole lack of respect for knowledge, and the worship of the almighty opinion is a relatively new phenomenon, brought about by schools going to a kinder, gentler system of teachers being taught to not hurt anyone's feelings by telling them they are wrong.

When was the last time you saw a hack paddle in school for use when a kid was misbehaving?

But that's all beside the point. it's very obviuous that forming opinions based on the slimmest of evidence is the trend of the future. And it's best if that opinion is only backed up by the phrase "I have a right to my opinion." Ignorance is the new intelligensia, and I'm conceding its victory, here and on any board where it is present.

I'm going to just work on my own cars myself, and keep in mind that my car, like anything Chip Foose has done, is in fact stupid (thanks, Oomba, for opening my eyes to the fact that the gratest names in the automotive world are stupid ricers). And in the boards, I will make sure that the most unfounded and ignorant opinions are championed, as that's the goal of the modern automotive enthusiast.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well hell ChrisV...it sucks that a few ignorant SOBs give you the impression that no one listens...because believe me, there are many of us here who do listen, are here to learn, and are willing to give anything a chance if it has 4 wheels and an engine.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I'm just tired of it. They win. Yay for them. Every forum I know of is being overrun by people just like them, so majority rules. They are right by default. We are not.

I'm not leaving. I'm just going to remember that opinions are worth more than knowledge, and opinions based on nothing are more valuable than opinions based on knowledge.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. It seems like a lot of the newer members here...and even a few old ones...will not concede to a point even when the cold hard facts are punching them in the side of the head. I know I haven't been around that long...and I certainly don't know everything. But what I do know comes mostly from the times when I was wrong, and someone corrected me. Knowledge is power, and the more knowledge you have about something, particularly for us here cars and motorsports...the more enjoyable it is.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

What the hell, i dont blame you Chris cause of how some of these 'know-it-alls' but you can still give factual information (to those who may ask you personally). We are losing alot of members, some that help alot and some not so much and this is almost like losing you. Without you Chris (and a few others) this forum would go to shit and there really would be all 'almighty opinions' going around and no more actual facts. Maybe Bav or Satty can setup sopme more and ban some of these , i think your more valuable then most/all of the people who go against the facts . Hope you dont totally give up helping. I love this place (maybe not quite as much lately) cause i can come here and read some of the problems/solutions.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky

I'm going to just work on my own cars myself, and keep in mind that my car, like anything Chip Foose has done, is in fact stupid (thanks, Oomba, for opening my eyes to the fact that the gratest names in the automotive world are stupid ricers). And in the boards, I will make sure that the most unfounded and ignorant opinions are championed, as that's the goal of the modern automotive enthusiast.

That's very selfish of you Chris, who am I going to argue with?

Took you long enough though, I realised ten posts into membership there was no place for facts to get in the way of a good story.

It's a rite of passage though and evolves something like this:

primary school:- "My Dad has the bestest car ever"
secondary school:- "My Dad's an arsehole coz he won't buy that car with lottsa bling"
post school:- "My car is beastie and has lots of stickers and is a freak; much more faster than others from the production line. My idiot Dad thinks he knows about modern engines, but Fastest Fours knows much more and recommends lottsa billet everything rather than forged like my Dad uses in his handbuilt POS 650kW 3.8litre"
early professional:- "Sure my 2.4 litre 110kW, 180 Nm is all european, but it is better than your POS and costs more"
professional:- "I love to tinker with my car just ask my mechanic and my tuner."
Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

My problem is I missed out on all those steps. I had to actually learn at an early age, so I have no abilioty to just form quick opinions of hatred for everything that isn't my favorite.

I'll cheerily listen to what you're doing with your Falcon, and ask questions about what's going on in Oz. You can play with the others, but I'm going to work hard to continue to remember that even if they don't actually know anything, they are right no matter how much they insult something that isn't their favorite.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

While you were out playing on your swing dreaming of being know it all I was probably repairing a Case header or International tractor in my early teens, realising I was a know it all.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
importluver, youre right, too. When it comes to cars, rotaries were built by the hand of God, himself, and anyone who changes one out for an inferior piston engine is a heathen and should be shot. Just because it costs less to go faster and still work better in the chassis is no excuse for destroying utterly the work of the Lord.

I will say this only once. Nearly everything you typed in the above quote is coming from your perception of what i said. Never have i spoken about god or religion (i don't like how you give God a gender), never did i comment on rotaries vs pistons, never did i say anyone should be shot. Perhaps you are making too many assumptions? You figure it out.

Without arguing there is little purpose for this website, as you well know. The choice is yours, do as you wish.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
I will say this only once. Nearly everything you typed in the above quote is coming from your perception of what i said. Never have i spoken about god or religion (i don't like how you give God a gender), never did i comment on rotaries vs pistons, never did i say anyone should be shot. Perhaps you are making too many assumptions? You figure it out.

Without arguing there is little purpose for this website, as you well know. The choice is yours, do as you wish.

It's all cool. It's your opinion, man. And you and Oomba can insult my cars all you want, too, as your opinions as valid as anyones (I mean, wouldn't want any actual thought to intrude on an opinion). It was completely stupid of me to have replaced my dead rotary with a V8, 'cause, even though I'd built and raced many, many rotary powered cars, I must not be capable of working on that God given engine. And what a tool I was for putting a built AOD automatic in it. I had no control and it was no fun to drive. I've been laboring under the false impression that I've actually been learning things all these years.

And I'm so sorry to have offended you by inadvertantly giving God a gender. And I must have offended some by anthropomorphisising and talking about God's "hand" when God has no use for such human appendages. I was only referring to your idolizing the rotary so much that any change is heresy, because that engine is perfect in every way, and any car that originally came with one is totally and utterly ruined by swapping it out with some inferior piston powerplant. Your opinion on my V8 swap is completely the way it should be.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
And you and Oomba can insult my cars all you want, too, as your opinions as valid as anyones (I mean, wouldn't want any actual thought to intrude on an opinion). It was completely stupid of me to have replaced my dead rotary with a V8, 'cause, even though I'd built and raced many, many rotary powered cars, I must not be capable of working on that God given engine. I've been laboring under the false impression that I've actually been learning things all these years.

Chris, get a hold of yourself. I don't think anyone on this board doubts your accomplishments or experience. You are also misrepresenting my words.

I never said your cars are stupid. You are assuming what i am thinking and going on and on. Consider that i am new to the rotary scene, i know nothing of rotaries, yet the wankel rotary is a radical departure from traditional rods and pistons. I wish to explore this new phenomenon. I have considered your advice, that a v8 is a very good alternative should i ultimately fail to achieve what i want with the 13b.

The bottom line is that you've gone a route that i would like to avoid. Thats not to say what you have done is useless, shameful, or nasty. I appreciate what you have done, but i respectfully disagree. End of story.

Quote:
I was only referring to your idolizing the rotary so much that any change is heresy, because that engine is perfect in every way, and any car that originally came with one is totally and utterly ruined by swapping it out with some inferior piston powerplant. Your opinion on my V8 swap is completely the way it should be.

My opinion on your v8 swap does not take away from the fact that you've done it successfully and it satisfies you. I do not agree with your method but that doesn't mean i don't respect your thoughts, abilities, or accomplishments. And here i would like to apologize for insulting you and your car.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
72firebird
Banned

that was polite
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
72firebird
Banned

import should get a brownie button
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote