Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Nataku
CF Newbie

Checking Transmission Fluid Level

I have a 1988 Mazda 323 with an automatic transmission. I am wondering what the proper way to check the transmission fluid level in this car is? I know that in some older cars the car had to be in neutral and running to be checked, some have to be in park and running to check or if it has to be off to check. I did not recieve an owner's manual of any sort when i bought this car so i dont know the proper way to do it. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku
I have a 1988 Mazda 323 with an automatic transmission. I am wondering what the proper way to check the transmission fluid level in this car is? I know that in some older cars the car had to be in neutral and running to be checked, some have to be in park and running to check or if it has to be off to check. I did not recieve an owner's manual of any sort when i bought this car so i dont know the proper way to do it. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
It should say on the dipstick that you check the tranny fluid with. Im pretty sure it has to be in park and up to operrating tempreture though.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
6000LE
Banned

start the car, let it idle and warm up, and then drive around a bit to get it up to standard temp. then park it and keep it running and check the stick.
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Nataku
CF Newbie

Thanks for the info, the stick was the first place that i checked and it said nothing. I just did as you said and idled it at operating temp in park, filled her up, added some lucas oil transmission fix, and its better than ever. Thank you very much for the input.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote