Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
Justin Hancock
CF Newbie

'95 Eclipse GS - Replacing shifting column

Hello,

I recently acquired my first car, a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. It is in excellent condition; 73K miles, clutch is in great condition, very well taken care of.

The leather that covers the space between the shifter and the console/column is slightly torn in one place; what would it take to replace the shifter and leather? I'd like to go for something that is seen in the newer Eclipses; shorter shifter.

What are some good websites that I can start reading up about this? Some direction would be much appreciated.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 01:00 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

Quote:
The leather that covers the space between the shifter and the console/column is slightly torn in one place

il assume you mean the shift boot, and thats a pretty easy thing to come upon... you can get one at schucks, or even ebay, and it shouldnt be to expensive. as for a shorter shifter, id just look at ebay or something as well, youle find one
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
itslow
CF Newbie

Hey if it helps B&M makes a short throw shifter for your car, it's around a 170 dollars from summitt. The parts number is BMM-45077. A new shifter is one of the best mods you can make, it was the first thing I did to my mustang and it just makes the car much funner to drive.
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #4
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Still nobody's explained how to remove the (well I call it a 'gaiter' but when in Rome...) shift boot.
Here's what you could do: -
1. Take off the gear knob. It'll either unscrew or it'll have a screw in its neck.
2. Take off the shift boot somehow.
3. Saw some length off the gearlever. Be aware that the more you shorten the lever, the heavier the gear change will be due to less leverage.
4. Put a new shift boot back on. If the original gear knob was screwed on then you'd need an aftermarket gear knob with a grub screw. That's because you'd have sawn off the thread at the top of the lever for the gear knob to screw onto.

If you don't like the look of those directions then mazda6man and itslow have already recommended a short throw kit. What they didn't explain is that these kits include a replacement linkage for a quicker gear change as well as a shorter lever and a sporty gear knob.

An alternative to what mazda6man and itslow have suggested is to buy a car magazine for the adverts from companies that sell the items that have been mentioned in this thread.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
itslow
CF Newbie

Snoop gave some good advice but most of your shifters don't come with knobs, no biggie, I used the stock shifter knob on mine till I found a billet one that I liked.
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

That's fair enough itslow. I shouldn't have assumed that all short throw kits include gear knobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
2. Take off the shift boot somehow.

I had a look in my Toyota and saw the screws in the entire panel that surrounds my automatic stick. That answers how you would take off the shift boot. You take the screws out of the panel, remove it and then you can get to the bottom of the shift boot. You then leave the panel off until you've reattached the new shift boot.
I can't see any screws in this photograph of the interior of a Mitsubishi Eclipse but they should be there somewhere.

I'm still wondering though if there's any point to a shift boot frame.

Justin Hancock, are you there?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote