Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Beginning to hate honda people

I don't know if its just me but honda owners are getting on my nerves lately.

1. I can't go 5min driving either of my cars w/o someone revving their engine. Just the other day i had the a/c on in my 7, stopped at a light, had to keep revs up to 800 so that the car won't die on me. Some middle-aged guy in a accord began revving his engine and looking over at me. Then there are the civics...

2. Everywhere i look there are hondas. Civics and integras are just about everywhere, thankfully i see only a handful of the 5th gen preludes, and no other Eucalyptus preludes in my area. Now i see accords everywhere, new or old, they are just everywhere.

3. I hate the fact that everyone and their mom wants to turbo their civic or accord. I hate even more that people want to swap in the h22 into their civics. For the love of god, they are econo cars! Drive them like they were supposed to be driven. If you are going to make drastic modifications to a car, atleast start with a good platform.

4. I hate how many people think honda technology is the best thing since sliced bread. Honda R&D is good but it ain't that good. VTEC is so hyped its gone well beyond overkill. There are plenty of good alternatives but none of those get this kind of press. I've seen enough dxx/b16/b18 swaps to last a lifetime...

5. I just can't bear to associate myself with these kinds of people.

Bah, the more i think about it the closer i get to insanity. Sometimes i get tempted to sell my prelude and go with something a lot less mainstream.

/rant
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:52 AM   #2
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Ever thought of investing some money in a good ol 350 V8 chevy big block? join the dark side....MUAHAHAHAHAAA!
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 AM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I sense this thread is going to be filled with many an ignorant post...

And I disagree with your platform argument. They are cheap, and so are parts. Maybe not the best racer for a real, well budgeted professional, but for someone who wants a cheap, tuneable ride, they do well. Keep in mind many other cars were intended to be economy cars, but yet people have modified them into something quite fast on the track.

It's the attitude that's the problem. Not the cars.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #4
importluva
Obsessed with imports

The following is an interesting article, presents some interesting arguments:

http://seductiveautosports.tripod.co...a%20haters.htm

I apologize if this is considered advertising.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
I sense this thread is going to be filled with many an ignorant post...

And I disagree with your platform argument. They are cheap, and so are parts. Maybe not the best racer for a real, well budgeted professional, but for someone who wants a cheap, tuneable ride, they do well. Keep in mind many other cars were intended to be economy cars, but yet people have modified them into something quite fast on the track.

It's the attitude that's the problem. Not the cars.

I can think of several domestics that are incredibly cheap to modify, repair, service, search and buy, etc. Cheap tunable rides don't have to be civics, and imo, shouldn't be.

A good platform is very important, for the reasons i underlined in one of my posts above. Far fewer essential modifications need to be made in a platform built for turbo applications or 'go fast'. Take for example the Lancer Evolution. It was designed to go fast, handle rough terrain, handle inclement weather, handle high power levels. The engine, brakes, suspension, transmission, aerodynamics, etc. have all been designed and put in the car specifically with those purposes in mind.

In concise terms, a turbo application has to be done correctly in order to make high hp cars even reasonably controllable. What does this say about your everyday civics?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
I can think of several domestics that are incredibly cheap to modify, repair, service, search and buy, etc. Cheap tunable rides don't have to be civics, and imo, shouldn't be.

A good platform is very important, for the reasons i underlined in one of my posts above. Far fewer essential modifications need to be made in a platform built for turbo applications or 'go fast'. Take for example the Lancer Evolution. It was designed to go fast, handle rough terrain, handle inclement weather, handle high power levels. The engine, brakes, suspension, transmission, aerodynamics, etc. have all been designed and put in the car specifically with those purposes in mind.

In concise terms, a turbo application has to be done correctly in order to make high hp cars even reasonably controllable. What does this say about your everyday civics?
I can't get this piece of shit to let me type in my full post, so I will respond to each paragraph in a separate post. First:

So can I, but it's a matter of personal preference, and at the moment, this is what people are choosing.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Second: How many "modders" can afford a good Lancer? Not too many. I don't know if they are really as available as you seem to think they are either, at least here they aren't. I rarely see one. "Rough Terrain"? WTF? I don't think many Civic drivers intend to take their cars offroading. As far as the brakes, suspension, etc...most people who slap a turbo on a Civic do so only intending to increase acceleration in a straight line, not to cruise the interstate at 130 or win road races. If they think they can, or try to, then they are simply foolish and uneducated. Now, should someone choose to do so, installing stiffer suspension components and proper brakes would not be that expensive or difficult of a task. Now as far as the aerodynamics...if they are going fast enough for that to be a factor then they are either being foolish or playing on a completely different field (racing). A stock Civic can handle 80 mph on the interstate perfectly well, why would a turbocharged Civic be any different? Like I said, if someone attempts to go greatly faster than that without the proper equipment, they are simply being foolish.

Last edited by hondaman : 08-24-2005 at 04:58 AM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:11 AM   #8
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlercd_22
Ever thought of investing some money in a good ol 350 V8 chevy big block? join the dark side....MUAHAHAHAHAAA!

I would do it in a heartbeat but current gas prices are killing that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman

This has been argued before. Read the article i posted.

If you come across a similar piece on supras and skylines please post it here. Also note that the purpose of this thread is not to start a pissing match. I will cease arguing the instant senseless fingerpointing, unnecessary cursing, and 5 page essay-arguments are posted. Keep your responses concise and get to the point.

Last edited by importluva : 08-23-2005 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 AM   #9
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
This has been argued before. Read the article i posted.
I'm sorry...but most of that thread is completely biased bullshit. Please don't say that I'm only saying that because I like Hondas, because anyone who knows me knows that I do, but I also like all other cars. But that entire article, while it does point out a few valid points (such as the VTEC system not being unique to Honda) is completely biased and has still not disproven my comment.

The comment "There is no replacement for displacement" is complete bullshit...very ignorant and incorrect.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Yeh my cars practically a tank....burns gas like one too. I put 20$ into my car with a quarter left before i put it in and it got me up to 3 quarters. Gas is not cheap these days. I hope it ends soon. Im not given up my 73 nova for anything. I think its gonna be like Mad Max soon.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #11
mx3_monster
im completely sane

i dont mind done up hondas. Nut what i reall hate is the ones that pull up next to you with a primered bodykit and a fartcan and thats it
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 AM   #12
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

dont forget cheap wal-mart spinners.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlercd_22

WTF? Since when was there a big block 350? 350's like the LS1, LT1, and all previous 350's since the 60's when Nova's, Chevelle's, and Camaro's had them, have always been called "small" block Chevys. Big blocks usually start with the number 4, as in 427, 429, and 409, not 318, 327, and 350. Even the new Z06 is a small block and it displaces 427 cubes. In comparison to Civic's and other sub 2 liter cars, that engine is very big, but it certainly not a Chevy big block.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #14
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Ya'll need to realize that me and her were just ****in around
Old 08-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #15
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
I don't know if its just me but honda owners are getting on my nerves lately.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote