Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
tcrow
CF Newbie

93 Olds Cutlas Ciera 3.3 V6

Hello:

I have a 1993 Olds Cutlas Ciera with a 3.3 v6. The car wouldn’t start and was turning over very erratically, so I changed the crankshaft sensor. The manual says to adjust the sensor but there doesn’t seem to be any way to adjust, slides onto a center post and then bolts on upper and lower part of bracket to the engine block.

The car turns over more smoothly but still won’t start, no spark. Fires slightly every once in awhile. Fuel pressure is ok, even sprayed with starter fluid to no avail. I changed the plugs and cleaned the c3i connections and made sure they were seated properly. I jumped pins A and B on the diagnostic connector but only get the service engine soon Light blinking very quickly, no code 12 to start diags or codes to decipher. Any suggestions.

Thanks
tcrow
tcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

your problem suggests that you ignition module is bad. very common problem among all DIS systems. can be bought at any parts store.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
tcrow
CF Newbie

Ignition Module

Hi Again:

Any idea if the Ignition module would have any bearing on the diagnostic scan not working properly?

Thanks
tcrow
Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
glagon1979
daddy x3

i must have over read the part about the diagnostic scan. it should read a code 12 if everything is fine. im leaning more towards the ecm being bad, rather than the ignition mod. you should be able to pick up a used computer at your local salvage yard fro no more than $50. try that and let us know
Old 09-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
tcrow
CF Newbie

Error Code 42

Well ....

After fuddling around near the ecm I somehow got my diagnostic check to operate properly, possible bad connection or short. Anyway I was able to retrieve an error 42 (EST sensor), my Haynes manual says to bypass or disconnect the sensor connector to let the ecm control the cranking timing. The problem is I can't seem to find the sensor. I called Autozone, Napa and checked the net but still haven't found it. I know it's a 4 conductor connector, I'll continue my search in the morning. Autozone doesn't have one in stock. Anyone know where it is on my engine or know where there is a picture of it?

Thanks
tcrow
Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
tcrow
CF Newbie

Well, I found my problem. After exhausting all my troubleshooting skills, I decided to reinstall my original CPS and voila, the engine started immediately. Beware of new parts from autozone! In my zest to ohm every line, clean every connector and ground I must have inadvertently fixed my original problem without even knowing it. If I had been thinking clearly I would have changed the CPS much sooner seeing everything pointed to a retarded spark. Still don't understand why my injectors would fire constantly with the inadequate CPS but then, ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for your help....