Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
newdude
CF Newbie

help me with a dilema if you will.

OK so Ive introduced myself and eerything but here it goes.

Ok so I have a 1961 Alfa Romeo Gullieta. Its is in pretty good conditions. I mean the chasis rolls except for 1 wheel, it is clean it is complete and the engine appears to be in good conditions but I havent started it out of fear of harming it. It has not been run in probably 10 years. There seems to be a very thick coat of rust on the underside of the pan but i dont see any wholes to the other side. So yeah I think that about sums it up.

So heres the issue. I have decided to start working on it. The question is should I restore it to its original grlory or take the Hot Rod aproach. What do you guys think.

So yeah let me know if you need more info or what not and thanks for your input.

Andrea
newdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude

Ok so I have a 1961 Alfa Romeo Gullieta. Its is in pretty good conditions. I mean the chasis rolls except for 1 wheel, it is clean it is complete and the engine appears to be in good conditions but I havent started it out of fear of harming it. It has not been run in probably 10 years. There seems to be a very thick coat of rust on the underside of the pan but i dont see any wholes to the other side. So yeah I think that about sums it up.

So heres the issue. I have decided to start working on it. The question is should I restore it to its original grlory or take the Hot Rod aproach. What do you guys think.

So yeah let me know if you need more info or what not and thanks for your input.

Andrea
I dont know anything about these cars (never heard of it), but is it a 4 door, hard top or convertible?

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
newdude
CF Newbie

Its a 2 door hard top.

Heres a pic

Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I would just restore it and not go hotrod on it
Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

It looks like a sweet car, but i dont know really what you can do to 'hot rod' it. Maybe add some cool wheels and a cool paint color but i havent seen much else really done to them (checked on Google images).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
newdude
CF Newbie

Thats the thing it would sort of be a new thig. plus I kinda misused the word hot rod. what i meant is to pretty much leave the outside as is, add a big powerfull engine automatic gearbox etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
corbett_auto
CF Addict

It is always good to get other peoples ideas. But remember this it is your car, and in the end do what will make you appy, even if it goes against the main stream. To many times i see guys try to follow the crowd only to not be truely happy with what they have. The biggest factors other than what you want are:
  1. Budget
  2. Time frame
  3. Mechanical ability

Nice looking car, should be a cool project.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 AM   #8
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude

Andrea

Original would be MUCH more cool than hot rodding it...it takes lots of patience and care to restore...more so than to hot rod it. IMHO.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

If you were to "hot rod" it, a fun choice would be teh later V6 from an Alfa GTV6.

But you can easily make good power from a later Alfa 4 cyl DOHC, too.

The successor to your car was and is a pretty popular race car:

To be honest, I'd take the Giulietta, drop the later 2.5 liter V6 with aftermarket cams, dual exhaust, flare the fenders over some fat Panasports, and make a dual purpose street/track day car. The Alfa guys would love it. There are enough stock examples around... Make it kind of like an Abarth race car had the V6 been avaialble to them back then.

The convertible versions are turned into race cars all the time:

http://www.autoextremist.com/roadame...g/DSCN7957.jpg

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote