Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
SR20DET 33 67.35%
KA24DET 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2004, 02:21 AM   #1
Z-man_Dan
CF Newbie

SR20DET vs. KA24DE

I have noticed that the Internet is littered with debates on whether or not a SR20DET is superior to a turbocharged KA24DE motor. I am, however, confused on why this debate even exists. Therefore, I am posting this thread to find out what I must be missing.

I feel that there is absolutely no contest; the SR20DET motor is a far superior racing motor. It seems like this debate is comparing apples to oranges.

Here is my rationale.

Horsepower: The SR creates far more horsepower then a turbocharged KA. Although the KA has a 25% increase in displacement, the displacement is found in the stroke. The larger stroke limits the KA’s ability to rev as high as the SR. Since HP = Torque(RPM)/5252 (torque @ a given RPM is multiplied by that RPM, then the answer is divided by 5252) higher revs will create higher HP readings. (You will notice on graphs that all engines have the same horsepower and torque at 5252 RPM’s).

Torque: The KA obviously creates far more low-end torque (created by the bigger stroke). Since torque is what moves you, you would think the KA would be the better choice. The SR, however, can easily overcome this loss in low-end torque. Since the KA redlines at approximately 6,000 RPM’s and the SR at 7,500 RPM’s the SR can create more low-end torque. How, you ask? Well there are two kinds of torque, engine torque and gear torque. The KA produces more engine torque and since the SR revs higher it can use a lower gear ratio too build more gear torque. The gear torque quickly increases the total torque output in a vehicle. Therefore, with the 25% increase in RPM’s, the SR can produce comparable low-end torque.

Weight: Obviously, this is a huge concern for any racer. Lighter weight means quicker acceleration, deceleration, and better handling. The SR is an all aluminum construction, while the KA has an iron block.

Technology: The KA is a truck engine. It uses a distributor and is fuel injected. That is about the extent of its technology. The SR has direct ignition, and continuously variable valve timing (late model SR’s). This technology will give the SR a flatter torque curve then the KA.

I know the saying goes, “There is no replacement for cubic displacement.” but, I would take the SR over the KA any day of the week. Besides, what would you rather have? A big block NASCAR engine or a F1 engine?

With that said, I await to hear what I missed about the performance benefits of a KA.
Z-man_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

though the KA motor has been getting kind of popular as of late, the SR is better (mine an many people's opinion anyways)
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
SuperJew
I like pie.

<----is lost like a foreigner in one of our uber-neighborhoods of 2000+ homes

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:34 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Personally, I prefer the XR48ROS21-GT. It puts out some serious hp!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

I know what the Ka is but I have no clue as to what the other thingy is.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

sr20det is the silvia engine
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
theotherguy111
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Personally, I prefer the XR48ROS21-GT. It puts out some serious hp!

i have never head of a XR48ROS21-GT where can i get some info on it?
theotherguy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy111
i have never head of a XR48ROS21-GT where can i get some info on it?

You brang this thread up again why?

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

Ok, I know this has undoubtedly been said, but here is my two cents on this topic.
Knocking tha ka24de because it was formerly in trucks is probably the dumbest shit I've ever heard. They are obviously reliable and BUILT to take the beating of a turbo.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
2.4>2.0
Duh.
Also: to do an engine swap for an engine with less reliability and les potential would be a large waste of time, and if you are aiming for performance, you will not do so. Only JDM fanboys do sr20 swaps.
Oh yeah, I'm assuming we are discussing the redtop 200hp sr20, right? Because the blacktop s15 sr20det engine ****in BUCKS (250hp)
Yes, the ka24 has a more narrow powerband, but its torque as heck, perfect for drifting, light to light races, or whatever else except highspeed races.
One last point: if you do an sr20 swap, and anything goes wrong, you will have to special order all of the (extremely) expensive parts. Everything from air filters to a new master cylinder, and you will have to do all the work yourself (very few shops know wtf to do with a jdm engine, especially a turbo sr20)
So in conclusion, ka24 pwns.
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 PM   #10
MrBojangles
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_DuB13
Ok, I know this has undoubtedly been said, but here is my two cents on this topic.
Knocking tha ka24de because it was formerly in trucks is probably the dumbest shit I've ever heard. They are obviously reliable and BUILT to take the beating of a turbo.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
2.4>2.0
Duh.
Also: to do an engine swap for an engine with less reliability and les potential would be a large waste of time, and if you are aiming for performance, you will not do so. Only JDM fanboys do sr20 swaps.
Oh yeah, I'm assuming we are discussing the redtop 200hp sr20, right? Because the blacktop s15 sr20det engine ****in BUCKS (250hp)
Yes, the ka24 has a more narrow powerband, but its torque as heck, perfect for drifting, light to light races, or whatever else except highspeed races.
One last point: if you do an sr20 swap, and anything goes wrong, you will have to special order all of the (extremely) expensive parts. Everything from air filters to a new master cylinder, and you will have to do all the work yourself (very few shops know wtf to do with a jdm engine, especially a turbo sr20)
So in conclusion, ka24 pwns.

Even though i do support the Ka24Det, but you argue out of ignorance . First of all u talk about drifting yet u know nothing about it. A wide powerband is needed for drifting because in the middle of a drift the last thing u want to do is have to shift. While depressing the clutch your tires would stop getting power and regain traction when you are still sideways. Trust me not a fun way to go through a corner.
Second of all you act like the only performance parts you can get for a sr20 is through Nissan or Nismo. You must be kidding me! Performance parts for the sr20det are more common than the ones for the Ka24Det. This is because companies really havent found the potential in the Ka yet and designed parts for them.

I still support the KA-T over the SR20 but i feel the general obligation to give ppl accurate information on this. You apparently enjoy talking with no knowledge whatsoever. Way ta go!
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #11
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

Sorry, but I have very little experience in drifiting (obviously) I've watched plenty of videos and read plenty of articles, but the only hands on experience I have is mostly drag or road racing.
I'm a huge drift enthusiast, but have absolutely no money for the sets and sets of tires that it takes to participate reguraly.
Also, I do realize that availability for sr20's and parts are increasing, but currently are not as abundant as you insist they are. All I know is my friend has a 97 with ka24 and has never had trouble finding parts, including a turbo kit.
Anywho, I opted to avoid both and go rb20det.

P.s. I hope you are not looking for a flame war. I joined these forums to learn more, which you certainly have assisted me in doing. I greatly Appreciate the knowledge that you have freely shared with me and the other CF'ers.
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #12
kazmihasi
CF Newbie

Nope wrong

Look bone stock a sr20det is a better engine than a Ka24de even if you turbo charge the Ka24. But like the saying "there's no replacement for Displacement" goes which I belive is true, what you should do is build both a Sr and a Ka to see with is better. I believe the Ka will be better. Oh and another thing I would love to see a Skyline as nice as they are beat a top Fuel dragster or a funnycar. Which won't ever happen unless you put a american big block or the next best thing which is a Toyota V8. Show me and I'll bow down to you. Plus it takes more power to push fours wheels than two Ok. I have seen 1125 hp Skylines but i have also seen 3,000 to 6223hp american beasts ok. Thakn you.
kazmihasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #13
SuperJew
I like pie.

you said bone! *beavis and butt-head laugh*

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
my_ka-t
CF Newbie

ka-t anyday

listening to you guys run your mouths is so funny. SR this and SR that yea sure the SR is a good motor but at the end of the day i still walk away from them w/ my KA-t. Do the exact same things to a KA as an SR and youl walk an SR all day with the KA. And as far as the KA not bein able to rev high thats crap to. I've seen all motor KAs rev to 8,000. Anyways like i said the SR is a good motor but i'll take my "crappy turbo truck motor" anyday of the week.
my_ka-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
risingsuns13
CF Newbie

stupid peoples

hahahah you guys r so stupid........ a ka-t is a ka with bolt on turbo, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, front intercooler, tune ecu.... n more stuff tats y its faster than a stock sr20 but if u spend all those money to an sr20 than it'll be even faster than tat hahahah so tis is for the ppl who dont understand tat a ka-t should beat a stock sr20 OK HAAHHAH
risingsuns13 is offline   Reply With Quote