Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
57ock
CF Addict

"Is it possible that you're getting a dog box confused with straight cut gears?" I have driven 1 wrx with a Senco Dog box. No double clutching need at all. So still have nfi what your on about.

Do you drive a fully sick focus or something?
As you seem to know a great deal

We should start up our own forums. The snoopewite & 57ock hang shit on each other forums

Can't wait until we get started on the Cricket and Rugby
Old 07-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Well thanks vwhobo for replying to my diesel query. 8-stroke diesel engines must just be in some older vehicles. They used to only fire every two cycles -
First cycle - 1. air intake 2. compression 3. fuel injection and combustion 4. exhaust
Second cycle - 5. nothing 6. nothing 7. nothing 8. nothing.
That means that each piston goes, up, fire, down, up, nothing, down, up, fire and so on.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

57ock, I didn't say that I recommended "breaking the gears" lol with a car that spins up to 7,000rpm. How is a 'flat change' any better than an orthodox gear change that's done in less than a second? I know that 'double clutching' is necessary for cars with dog boxes, but a 'flat change'?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:28 PM   #4
Unfedfat
Site Admin

uh oh... this is getting interesting...

:popcorn: anyone?

j/k
Unfedfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

I can only guess that the other reason that you're refering to is something to do with the gear ratios of each car.

Here's that next theory that you asked for mate ) arrow Changing gear is smoother up hill.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:12 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavboy1
Hey snoopewite what did i say? If you're gonna complain atleast read what i wrote. In yours it says to reapply the gas after shifting in mine i suggest keeping the gas floored. If you're gonna wine atleast make sure you know what you're complaining about.

I just read both of the posts and snoope said "Basically, you keep the gas pedal pressed in while you change gear very quickly." So he read what he wrote, I read what he wrote, maybe you should read what he wrote. By the way, if you're going to whine, spell it right next time.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:25 PM   #7
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Hey snoopewite what did i say? If you're gonna complain atleast read what i wrote. In yours it says to reapply the gas after shifting in mine i suggest keeping the gas floored. If you're gonna wine atleast make sure you know what you're complaining about.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
skribflex

wow, i must say i am scared to try speed shifting (keeping the throttle open). i don't want to smell burning clutch when i stop at a stop light!!!!

well, i would only do that in a race, and we all know no one here races (!!!!!)...

i guess now my next step is to practice this, get the hang of downshifting (that's another story) and then eventually get confident on hills.

im certainly open to tips.

thanks.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:13 PM   #9
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Just what's the problem? Are you letting off the gas completely before you press the clutch in, or are you keeping the revs too high while you're pushing the clutch in and changing gear? Sometimes people 'snatch' the gear change when they're flooring it by letting the clutch out too quickly after changing gear.
What car is it that you drive? A high revving, four-cylinder won't be as smooth as a six-cylinder, a low revving V8 etc.
Notice that a smooth gear change gets easier as you move up through the gears e.g. shifting from 1st to 2nd is harder to do smoothly at full throttle than shifting from 4th to 5th.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:08 PM   #10
skribflex

new to manual transmission

i am new to manual transmission and would like some input on something. what is the proper way to shift when you are flooring the gas? because i am new i don't quite know what to do yet when the trottle is wide open. everytime i try to shift going at full acceleration, i can't quite seem to let off the gas, press the clutch in, and shift smoothly. any tips or any advice on how i should go along doing this maneuver?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Slavboy1, what did I just say in the post directly above yours?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:08 PM   #12
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Personally when my favorite way to shift is to keep the gas floored and very quickly put in the clutch and shift and let off the clutch again. This should all last less than a 1/10th of a second. Quickness is key the quicker the easier on the tranny. HOWEVER, it is VERY rough on the tranny so don't do it very often.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:42 AM   #13
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

My response to 57ock’s last post in this topic -
57ock, I didn’t mean an orthodox gear change as in ‘racing the gears’. Why not just put the clutch in to start with as you take your foot off the gas and move straight from one gear to the next? Just because that’s how people change gears when they’re taking it steady, it doesn’t mean that it’s inadequate for doing quickly when at full throttle.

My response to vwhobo’s last post in this topic -
1. 57ock and I are discussing two different techniques. The 'flat change' that 57ock has brought up actually includes letting off the gas during the shift change.

2. I thought that all diesels were 8-stroke engines and that's why they're low revving ? Can you clear things up for me please vwhobo wink Don't they tend to redline before 4,500rpm? I said that people can get away with 'racing the gears' with a diesel because I believe that the revs rise at a slower rate than a petrol engine. They're also supposed to have a sudden flat spot at the top of the range as the power curve stops rising.

3. N/A

4. Slavboy1 is too proud to admit that he's wrong. He's not big enough of a man to apologise after reading your post that you addressed to him vwhobo.

5. I only mentioned that there is such a technique as 'racing the gears/speed shifting'. I wasn't encouraging it and it’s not like I didn’t explain skribflex's queries about a smooth gear change to begin with.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

skribflex wrote -
"lets say i have the throttle wide open after launching the car from a stop. in first gear, when it's about to redline, should i completely take my foot off the gas and press in the clutch simultaneously? and then the next question is, after i quickly throw the shifter into second gear, should i just drop the clutch again or should i slowly let it off?"

My answer to your first question is yes.
Once you've thrown the stick into the next gear, you want to swiftly yet smoothly let the clutch off while you simultaneously press the gas pedal back in.

Seeing as 57OCK's told you about a 'flat change', I'll tell you about 'racing the gears'.
Basically, you keep the gas pedal pressed in while you change gear very quickly. Stomp on the clutch as you change straight from one gear to the next and then slide your foot off the clutch to let it spring back up again.
You can get away with that technique with a diesel, but I wouldn't recommend it with a 4-stroke engine.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:13 PM   #15
57ock
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite

Seeing as 57OCK's told you about a 'flat change', I'll tell you about 'racing the gears'.
Basically, you keep the gas pedal pressed in while you change gear very quickly. Stomp on the clutch as you change straight from one gear to the next and then slide your foot off the clutch to let it spring back up again.
You can get away with that technique with a diesel, but I wouldn't recommend it with a 4-stroke engine.

So you hit the rev limiter while changing gears. Your making the motor hit fuel cut while its spin at 7,000rpm!!!! You realise the stress that puts on a motor? How much stress in placed on the crank? Extra stress on the clutch too? And on gearbox. "I'll tell you about 'racing the gears'." should be "I'll tell you about 'breaking the gears'."

If your car has a powerglide transmittion, then yes, thats how u change gears cause its designed to change like that. But a standard gearbox??