Imports 0wn American muscle 16 44.44%
American muscle 0wn Imports 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
jzxTT
CF Addict

just for fun... import Vs. American muscle

i havent seen this thread so.. here it is... and if there is one oh well... im all about imports... ive seen boosted civic blow away vettes and mustangs... but civics are in the bottom of the box.. the fact that a 4cylinder can smoke an v8 is amazing... if u know of any American muscle car that can beat a 1350hp skyline let me know??... for all i know there could be an "old school American muscle" car out there... state your opinion why you might think a 1972 z28 would b "better" than a 1998 tt supra

p.s. My friend claims his 72 Z28 camaro put out 350hp because the name of the engine is the 350 or somethin like that... im pretty sure the 72 z28 puts out ~225bhp.. am i right or wrong (stats on the V8 and the V6 would b nice)... and just to add.. 1972 Z28 vs. 300zx Twin Turbo

Last edited by jzxTT : 03-02-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
i havent seen this thread so.. here it is... and if there is one oh well... im all about imports... ive seen boosted civic blow away vettes and mustangs... but civics are in the bottom of the box.. the fact that a 4cylinder can smoke an v8 is amazing... if u know of any American muscle car that can beat a 1350hp skyline let me know??... for all i know there could be an "old school American muscle" car out there... state your opinion why a 72'z28 would b "better" than a 1998 tt supra
You are right in saying that most Jap imports can smoke V8 American Muscle cars and there's numerous reasons for this the main one being power-weight ratio, most Japanese high perfomance cars, infact most cars in general are alot lighter than American Muscle cars mainly due to what's under the bonnet on the US cars..ie; a V8 is gonna be heavier than a 4 Cylinder motor, another reason is out 'an out power, you're talking about 1350bhp on these Jap cars, most US cars aint tuned at all let alone be that tuned! So the bottom line here is that you could evenly match two cars side by side (Jap and Muscle) with the same output and the Jap car would win hands down. Also, think about the driven wheels, all Muscle cars are RWD so an AWD Skyline with 1350bhp is gonna easily smoke the Muscle car lol..So I voted that Imports own the Muscle cars

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-02-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
i havent seen this thread so.. here it is... and if there is one oh well...

Import / Muscle Wars

Quote:
if u know of any American muscle car that can beat a 1350hp skyline let me know??...

I already did.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i seriously thought this war ended a few years ago... maybe that was just in my town
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

Old 03-02-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Vanman5001
CF Newbie

I don't Know about a 72 camaro,but I've blown away rice mobiles in my 88 ford station wagon. I'm not a chevy fan but a 350 is a damn good engine. I feel that If a car is japanese, Its an oversized Go-Kart.

Last edited by Vanman5001 : 03-02-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

I had to go with the Imports beating the American muscle. I mean everyone has mustangs and corvettes but truly there not as fast as a skyline or many other imports out there. I had to go with the Imports.

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

I vote American muscle because I'd love me some 1969 Camaros! Also I would love my dad's old 1972 Nova SS. 396 V8 MWAHAHAHA!

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 03-03-2004, 02:13 AM   #8
Vassar
CF Newbie

Quote:
i havent seen this thread so.. here it is... and if there is one oh well... im all about imports... ive seen boosted civic blow away vettes and mustangs... but civics are in the bottom of the box.. the fact that a 4cylinder can smoke an v8 is amazing... if u know of any American muscle car that can beat a 1350hp skyline let me know??... for all i know there could be an "old school American muscle" car out there... state your opinion why you might think a 1972 z28 would b "better" than a 1998 tt supra

p.s. My friend claims his 72 Z28 camaro put out 350hp because the name of the engine is the 350 or somethin like that... im pretty sure the 72 z28 puts out ~225bhp.. am i right or wrong (stats on the V8 and the V6 would b nice)... and just to add.. 1972 Z28 vs. 300zx Twin Turbo

Not to mention, if you think total HP is the deciding factor for a car, you're an idiot. Do you have any times for this 1350-hp Skyline? Or are you just getting this out of Gran Turismo 3?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:46 AM   #9
Z-man_Dan
CF Newbie

Gentlemen, let me explain what us Japanese tuners are all about. It is not about the dollar to horsepower ratio. It is about getting a lot from a little. It is about being smarter then the engine and not accepting “there is no replacement for cubic displacement”.

We strive to get 250+ hp per slug. To do so we use technology, and technology, unfortunately, is never cheap. We embrace power adders such as turbochargers, nitrous oxide, and massive intercoolers. We strive to squeeze out every possible horsepower.

For me (just like you VWHOBO, with the bug) it is about the weight of the vehicle. Americans cars with their big blocks need big chassis, this makes for a heavy vehicle. The more mass you have the harder it is to accelerate, decelerate, and turn. A true performance car needs to do far more then just go fast in a straight line.

I also agree that a bug makes for an awesome performance car. It is lightweight, air cooled so there’s no water or radiator to add weight, the flat four is strong easy to work on and has a low center of gravity, and the RWD makes it sweet. All around it can easily become a sports car.

Now the reason you hear so much about the Skyline is because, to us, it is the ultimate car. Sure, it’s heavy, but it only weighs a little over 100 lbs. more then a Vette. And yes, it only has 280 stock horsepower. What is it? The Skyline is an AWD, four wheel steering, car that has nothing less then monstrous potential. A 2.6-liter engine that can produce close to 800 HP w/o internal mods. It's also a car that comes stock with a rear diffuser (first production car to do so). If you would like I could list all of the incredible feature this car has, but this thread is getting long enough. So let me know if you even care, and if so, I will start a new thread.

Remember this; before you guys bash the Civics (a vehicle I could really care less about) remember the bug was the same thing in its day.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I agree with, understand and support everything you say except;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man_Dan
Remember this; before you guys bash the Civics (a vehicle I could really care less about) remember the bug was the same thing in its day.

The Bug was, is and will continue to be rather unique. Extremely high tech and well built for it's time and in some ways still high tech. For instance, how many Jap cars, or any other cars for that matter, have a magnesium engine case/block? Not any that I can think of.

A Civic, as good of a car as it is, is not substantially different from a Sentra, Corolla, Mirage, etc. All decent cars but all basically the same. And I for one have never bashed a Civic, only the meatheads who come on here and say things like 'I just bought a Civic and boy is it fast, it's got neon and a fart cannon'. You get the idea.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 03-03-2004, 03:02 AM   #11
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
And I for one have never bashed a Civic, only the meatheads who come on here and say things like 'I just bought a Civic and boy is it fast, it's got neon and a fart cannon'.

ohh cmon VW, you keep on forgeting all the stickers and the NAWZ! Not to mention the big ass wings on the FWD cars! Man, I really seem to have a hard time letting go of those.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)

Last edited by Satty101 : 03-03-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:08 AM   #12
Z-man_Dan
CF Newbie

Oh please!! How the hell could you both forget about the huge wings for the FWD car.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:04 AM   #13
Vassar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man_Dan
Gentlemen, let me explain what us Japanese tuners are all about. It is not about the dollar to horsepower ratio. It is about getting a lot from a little. It is about being smarter then the engine and not accepting “there is no replacement for cubic displacement”.

We strive to get 250+ hp per slug. To do so we use technology, and technology, unfortunately, is never cheap. We embrace power adders such as turbochargers, nitrous oxide, and massive intercoolers. We strive to squeeze out every possible horsepower.

For me (just like you VWHOBO, with the bug) it is about the weight of the vehicle. Americans cars with their big blocks need big chassis, this makes for a heavy vehicle. The more mass you have the harder it is to accelerate, decelerate, and turn. A true performance car needs to do far more then just go fast in a straight line.

I also agree that a bug makes for an awesome performance car. It is lightweight, air cooled so there’s no water or radiator to add weight, the flat four is strong easy to work on and has a low center of gravity, and the RWD makes it sweet. All around it can easily become a sports car.

Now the reason you hear so much about the Skyline is because, to us, it is the ultimate car. Sure, it’s heavy, but it only weighs a little over 100 lbs. more then a Vette. And yes, it only has 280 stock horsepower. What is it? The Skyline is an AWD, four wheel steering, car that has nothing less then monstrous potential. A 2.6-liter engine that can produce close to 800 HP w/o internal mods. It's also a car that comes stock with a rear diffuser (first production car to do so). If you would like I could list all of the incredible feature this car has, but this thread is getting long enough. So let me know if you even care, and if so, I will start a new thread.

So, the Skyline only has 287-hp, eh? Do some more research and get back to me. You think that an AWD car makes a difference? You do realize that AWD doesn't help anywhere but coming out of a corner or on the launch, and even the launch times aren't that much better.

I guess you have failed to realize that the RB26DETT is as big, if not bigger, than your typical LT1 or LS1. Or did you just not care because the Skyline is Japanese?

Another thing, this "technology" you are referring to was out in America LONG before it was ever used in Japan. Remember one thing, the Ford Pinto was beating your average Honda when the Pinto was coming off the line.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:15 AM   #14
archangle
CF Enthusiast

American muscle owns imports. No contest
Old 03-10-2004, 06:28 AM   #15
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle
American muscle owns imports. No contest
Newbies . Ok Mr.CFnewbie, You mind backing up your little comment. Try to come up with your own words, dont quote what someone else hase already said.
btw, Do you have a car?