Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
woodgrain1982
Banned

cold engine

hey yall i have a 1982 3.8 liter v6 oldsmobile cutlass recently its been cold around seatttle and today i started my car up and let it sit maybe 2 minutes to warm up, i drove it slowly for a few miles, i noticed that when i would push on the gas it would lag then it just died on me, i stopped and i started it right back up, does anyone think it died because i didnt give it enough time to warm up, how long do you have to let these old cars warm up for so they just dont die, or could it be the ignition control module going out? if anyone has any ideas that could help i would appreciate it
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain1982
hey yall i have a 1982 3.8 liter v6 oldsmobile cutlass recently its been cold around seatttle and today i started my car up and let it sit maybe 2 minutes to warm up, i drove it slowly for a few miles, i noticed that when i would push on the gas it would lag then it just died on me, i stopped and i started it right back up, does anyone think it died because i didnt give it enough time to warm up, how long do you have to let these old cars warm up for so they just dont die, or could it be the ignition control module going out? if anyone has any ideas that could help i would appreciate it
Sounds strangely like a sticking or mis-adjusted choke, but nothing like an ignition module.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 11-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
woodgrain1982
Banned

yea my battery charge light came on and then the oil/choke light came on and it died, its done this one time before, how can i adjust the choke or is it the engine block was cold, i also have problems with the carb running rich
Old 11-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Umm, pardon me for asking, but what the hell is a choke light?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
woodgrain1982
Banned

on some classic cars there is different light/sensors that come on one of them is a oil/choke sensor i guess asian mobiles dont got that
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Umm, pardon me for asking, but what the hell is a choke light?
Do you need a full explanation or can I just call you a dildo for giving hime the and let you ask your father in the morning? It's a light that tells you when your chock is closed, very common on GM cars in the '80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain1982
yea my battery charge light came on and then the oil/choke light came on and it died, its done this one time before, how can i adjust the choke or is it the engine block was cold, i also have problems with the carb running rich
I'll tell you the same thing I've preached for years. Get a manual and read it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do you need a full explanation or can I just call you a dildo for giving hime the and let you ask your father in the morning? It's a light that tells you when your chock is closed, very common on GM cars in the '80's.
Thanks for clarifying that and no I can do without the dildo but thanks for askin