Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 04:40 AM   #1
Ry55
CF Newbie

Exclamation 17 year old in need of advice

Hi my name is Frank. I am 17 and I live in Miami, Fl with my girlfriend and her mom. When I moved in her mom just bought a new Honda Accord and decided to give her 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic to us. Since we didn't have enough money to buy anything else, we took it without a second look. Now we share the car. But it came with alot of problems. Her mom told us about the car before we got in it. She told us that the car would often die in the middle of the road. If you drove it over 60 it would overheat quickly and begin to smoke, it would stall alot, etc. I fixed what I could and took the rest to a mechanic. I drove it around for a week to make sure the car was working properly. Then 2 weeks later my girlfriend calls me saying that the car died in a parking lot and she couldnt get it going again. I replaced the battery and there werent any problems till 4 days later when I tried to start it up one morning and all it did was click. The car continues to be this way. I need to know what is wrong with the car, if i can fix it myself or if i have to take it in to a mechanic or if I have to buy a new car.
Ry55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:44 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Welcome to CF...I'll copy this to the R&M section of the Forum as you're not supposed to ask questions here

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
fourriversbear
CF Newbie

If you just replaced the battery and it appears to be dead again. First check to make sure the grounds are tight on the battery and the small ground on the body of the car. If it is corroded clean it so it makes good contact to the body of the car and battery (cable maybe bad). Also it may be the altenator. Take it off and have auto zone check it for you. If it is bad they are not that expensive to replace with a rebuilt one. Also check to make sure the connections on the starter are not corroded and are making good contact.
fourriversbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry55
Hi my name is Frank. I am 17 and I live in Miami, Fl with my girlfriend and her mom. When I moved in her mom just bought a new Honda Accord and decided to give her 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic to us. Since we didn't have enough money to buy anything else, we took it without a second look. Now we share the car. But it came with alot of problems. Her mom told us about the car before we got in it. She told us that the car would often die in the middle of the road. If you drove it over 60 it would overheat quickly and begin to smoke, it would stall alot, etc. I fixed what I could and took the rest to a mechanic. I drove it around for a week to make sure the car was working properly. Then 2 weeks later my girlfriend calls me saying that the car died in a parking lot and she couldnt get it going again. I replaced the battery and there werent any problems till 4 days later when I tried to start it up one morning and all it did was click. The car continues to be this way. I need to know what is wrong with the car, if i can fix it myself or if i have to take it in to a mechanic or if I have to buy a new car.

Ok, what exactly did you fix and what did the mechanic fix? This may help us in troubleshooting your problem.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Sounds like the car was abused. By the way youre 17 and live with your girlfriend? Where are your parents? Are you still in school. As for the car, I would first recomend getting a tuneup. There may be a lot of residue on the spark plugs, and thats causing them to not give off a strong spark, and making the car stall. Overheating could be a cooling hose. Do you have enough antifreze in there?
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

If the (new) battery is dying surely you would suspect either a lack of charge from the alternator or something draining the battery when shutdown? Take it to an auto electrician and get some tests done.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:10 AM   #7
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Sounds like the car was abused. By the way youre 17 and live with your girlfriend? Where are your parents? Are you still in school.

1. That is none of your business
2. That is none of our business.

Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

How many screen names are you going to register before you get canned again?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 AM   #9
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
How many screen names are you going to register before you get canned again?
Let me think on that awhile.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
1. That is none of your business
2. That is none of our business.

Just a thought.
Why dont you let him answer for himself. He is 17, not 7.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
If that's the case then why don't you let him speak up for himself. Pot, kettle, black.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 AM   #12
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:

Sounds like this little muffin just wants some advice on how to alienate himself from his parents, being single and all with a 98 neon and a 1200$ a month job..
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry55
Anyway...
My vote goes to a parasitic load. Something may be draining the battery as it sits. However, my first recommendation for course of action is to go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone or whatever and have a free analysis of your charging system done. If it checks OK, I'm going to make my theory of a parasitic load a definate possibility and tell you to proceed with a multimeter to find it.

P.S Even when it seems to make a lot of sense to replace a battery, always have it tested first. It's usually free, so why not.