Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #1
sdude95
CF Newbie

Solstice Vs. Mustang

Hay, im turning 16 soon and ive been looking at the Pontiac Solstice and the Mustang.I can only got a V6 on the mustang.. unless i get really lucky..lol. I'm soo confused about what i want. Can anyone help me out? ive also been looking at the RX-8 but a lil expensive prolly
sdude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:44 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

How about a budget, and what you want in a car?

From the two, I'd take the Mustang...I'd take a Miata over the Solstice, and I'm pretty sure it had a Silverado gear box...

Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
Aondor
CF Addict

The miata may handle better and perform bettter but Imo if you want a sweet looking ride solstices are nice.

If you can afford a solstice you can buy a v8 mustang unless you want to buy something new which since your a young driver I don't suggest. I actualy suggest buying a first car for under 500 dollars driving for a while then buying a new car that way you know what you want.
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
Aondor
CF Addict

The miata may handle better and perform bettter but Imo if you want a sweet looking ride solstices are nice.

If you can afford a solstice you can buy a v8 mustang unless you want to buy something new which since your a young driver I don't suggest. I actualy suggest buying a first car for under 500 dollars driving for a while then buying a new car that way you know what you want.
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
OVERBURN
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
How about a budget, and what you want in a car?

From the two, I'd take the Mustang...I'd take a Miata over the Solstice, and I'm pretty sure it had a Silverado gear box...

No I'm not Mengano, I was simply "spoofing" him..and wow, you finally say something smart, but then kill it..Mustang is a good pick because it has a good overall power and comfort package so it provides a good bang for the buck, Solstice is a sexy looking car and these roadsters (both the miata and solstice are underpowered) but because of the size and weight should perform and handle very well and they have respectable gas mileage..although I admit a Miata probably has overall better handling/feel I would NEVER pick a Miata over a Solstice though..Miata's are ugly as hell...they look so plain...They need a face lift.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERBURN

No I'm not Mengano, I was simply "spoofing" him..and wow, you finally say something smart, but then kill it..Mustang is a good pick because it has a good overall power and comfort package so it provides a good bang for the buck, Solstice is a sexy looking car and these roadsters (both the miata and solstice are underpowered) but because of the size and weight should perform and handle very well and they have respectable gas mileage..although I admit a Miata probably has overall better handling/feel I would NEVER pick a Miata over a Solstice though..Miata's are ugly as hell...they look so plain...They need a face lift.

Did I kill the smart thing by saying I'd take the Miata over the Solstice?...I'm just more into sport oriented cars, and well...The Miata owns the Solstice in just about everything...
If it's about the gearbox, I read it in Car & Driver...Now I have to dig through them--it was a Colarado gearbox...My bad
Old 01-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdude95
Hay, im turning 16 soon and ive been looking at the Pontiac Solstice and the Mustang.I can only got a V6 on the mustang.. unless i get really lucky..lol. I'm soo confused about what i want. Can anyone help me out? ive also been looking at the RX-8 but a lil expensive prolly
Are we talking about the sexy retro-Mustang??? If we are, then I'd get a Mustang in a heartbeat.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
OombaIsBack
Banned

I'd forget about getting a Solstice any time soon. Theyre only making 6000 a year and they already have 13,000+ orders.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
I'd forget about getting a Solstice any time soon. Theyre only making 6000 a year and they already have 13,000+ orders.
That and they look just as bad as everything else Pontiac makes.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

While I love the Solstice, it's a true sports car (like the Miata) and so the insurance rates will match (and not be something a young person would want to be paying). The V6 Mustang was designed to be cheaper to insure, but has a fair bit of performance in it's own right. Not too many RWD V6 sport coupes on the market under $20k... And with the pony package it actually looks rather good.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wall...onyCoupe-1.jpg

People saying that the Miata and Solstice are "underpowered" simply have no clue what true sports cars have always been about. The car in my sig is in the same category and has less than 100 hp. Sports cars have NEVR been defined by their 0-60 times (my MG Midget did 0-60 in 13 seconds, but it felt much faster due to being so small and close to the ground).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I can't really say I like it's styling.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #13
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario

I guess it cant look as good as those boring german boxes in your signature.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #14
sdude95
CF Newbie

hay. ya i sorta have to get a new car... my mom dont trust people with used cars... i think im leaning towards the mustang now. i saw like a metal silver one.. can i get one of those? lol got a site http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/conc...pics/coupe.htm
havent seen any on the road yet
sdude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Why not trust used cars?...Especially for a first car...But either way, if you're thinking of the new Mustang, then definitely that, especially (if you can get it) a GT Convertible.

But I'd go used lol