Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Shift4
CF Newbie

First Car Suggestions & Ideas

Hey guys, I havent posted here in a while but I'm back! I just recently got my permit and now I'm looking for ideas of a first car. I have looked at pretty much everything and havent been able to find the perfect car yet. Its got to have decent mileage, practicality, a fairly cheap price, and its got to be fast. Some of the things that I have looking at are:

VW GTI (maybe 20th Anniversary or 337 if I can afford it. I would probably have to add a short throw shifter to the regular GTI though. I also heard that the suspension setup sucks)
Chevy S-10 Xtreme (extended cab, 4.3L auto)
Chevy Camaro Z28 (possibly SS but its more expensive and hardly faster)
MazdaSpeed Protege
Subaru WRX (not STi because its too expensive)
GMC Syclone (can get one for cheap with more than 70,000 miles but the reliability is iffy)
RSX Type S

I'm open to lots of suggestions but its got to look good and be pretty fast. I know I'm going to get tons of people saying "get a civic and disconnect 3 spark plugs and learn to drive" but I'm going to drive it responsibly - just for the track and backroads and stuff.

What are your opinions? Oh, also, I really am not a huge fan of front wheel drive but. . . a lot of cars are. Also, please do NOT say SRT-4. Its one of my least favorite cars
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
Hey guys, I havent posted here in a while but I'm back! I just recently got my permit and now I'm looking for ideas of a first car. I have looked at pretty much everything and havent been able to find the perfect car yet. Its got to have decent mileage, practicality, a fairly cheap price, and its got to be fast. Some of the things that I have looking at are:

VW GTI (maybe 20th Anniversary or 337 if I can afford it. I would probably have to add a short throw shifter to the regular GTI though. I also heard that the suspension setup sucks)
MazdaSpeed Protege
GMC Syclone (can get one for cheap with more than 70,000 miles but the reliability is iffy)
RSX Type S

I'm open to lots of suggestions but its got to look good and be pretty fast. I know I'm going to get tons of people saying "get a civic and disconnect 3 spark plugs and learn to drive" but I'm going to drive it responsibly - just for the track and backroads and stuff.

What are your opinions? Oh, also, I really am not a huge fan of front wheel drive but. . . a lot of cars are. Also, please do NOT say SRT-4. Its one of my least favorite cars
It would help if you said how much money you have to spend and whether or not it's a new car you are after!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

ya knowing your price range helps.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Shift4
CF Newbie

Wow, sorry, forgot to put that in there! It would be like maximum 12,000
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:

MazdaSpeed Protege
RSX Type S

Hope you've got a ton of money for insurance.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
glagon1979
daddy x3

how about a 1G gsx or tsi? all wheel drive, turbo, and quite fast bone stock
Old 02-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

People with money like that piss me off unless you earned it through honest work
Old 02-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
vlc92189
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
People with money like that piss me off unless you earned it through honest work
who cares if he has the money then thats good for him. no reason to hate on him.
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlc92189
who cares if he has the money then thats good for him. no reason to hate on him.

I agree,

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
how about a 1G gsx or tsi? all wheel drive, turbo, and quite fast bone stock

As much as I love the TSI, don't think it should be in the hands of a new driver. It would be a shame to wreck such a beautiful piece of art. I miss my 1G.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
Shift4
CF Newbie

Sorry but the Talon TSI/Eclipse GSX doesnt really do much for me looks wise. I'm a pretty big GTI fan but what does a short throw shifter package involve?? Like do you just replace the linkage or what??
Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Sorry but the Talon TSI/Eclipse GSX doesnt really do much for me looks wise. I'm a pretty big GTI fan but what does a short throw shifter package involve?? Like do you just replace the linkage or what??
I believe its just the shifter itself. However, due to the decrease of the disctance to the fulcrum, shifts will b e a bit harder, so you best get that right arm nice and strong.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Also, please do NOT say SRT-4. Its one of my least favorite cars
Good thing you clarified that before Newyorker added his never changing .
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

SRT-4 JP

RSX or the WRX...Pretty nice, but I'd suggest something a bit cheaper, and with less power...
Old 02-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

The Camaro is a good car, but not the best built car out there. I have never really had a problem with the powertrain, and I know few who have (I'm talking LS1s). Actually, the engine and tranny have been rock solid. However it seems like every other week things like my power windows and other accessories are breaking. Insurance will MURDER you, but on the plus side 20 MPG city is attainable. As you said earlier, the SS isn't really worth the extra $$ unless you really like the looks compared to the regular Z (I know I do). To be honest I bet a Z28 with a lid (about $100 + 10 min. install) would tie an SS. If your max is 12K, I doubt you'd be able to find a decent 4th gen. SS anyway. The Camaro/Trans Ams are probably going to be some of the fastest stock cars you're gonna be able to get for under 12K, and overall they're good cars.

I can see where people are coming from telling you not to buy a fast car so young, about 1/2 of my friends have gotten in accidents since they got their license, and they're all around 18 y/o. I got my Camaro at 17, and since then no accidents and no tickets. It takes a lot of effort not to give in to peer pressure, especially when your driving around with your friends.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote