Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
pnettle89
CF Newbie

stutter in low gear and accelleration

my 97 ford taurus 24v DOHC has the CEL on. I went to AutoZone and pulled the code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2 Rear. Could a bad O2 sensor cause the engine to run poorly when accellerating and idling. If I accellerate slowly, it wont be noticeable, but if I accellerate normally, it is much more evident. It's almost as if not enough air or fuel or both (intermittently) is being delivered to the engine for optimal performance. Could this be causing my car to stutter when accellerating to highway speed or while idling. Once I am up to speed, everything smooths out.
pnettle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

What is your transmission? Automatic or Standard...Transmissions can cause this to happen sometimes (I've seen it happen)
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
pnettle89
CF Newbie

transmission

I have an automatic. A4XN
Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Update On Issue

OK, pulled new code P0305 misfire cylinder 5 and the P0340 code for catalyst below performance threshold bank 2 rear cleared itself automatically. What the heck? Since a misfire dumps fuel into the cat unburned, will that set the cat code to go haywire
Old 03-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Question Codes cleared themselves

OK, got in my car today drove a bit on the highway with the CEL steady. Went to Ford to check a few prices on misc parts. Turned the car back on drove a few miles up the highway with no hesitations or indications of problems and the light went out. This light has been on forever. To double check it was not a burned out bulb, the next time I got in my car I put it in the "on" position and the light is not defective. So I had a cat code, misfire code, egr code and now they are all gone. Still a faint hesitation issue when accellerating hard. Do you think ignition wires culprit? Or EGR backpressure sensor issue? Or maybe even a PCM issue itself?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

hard to tell w/o experiencing it... i think it's blue oval syndrome...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote