Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Shift4
CF Newbie

First Car Fun Factor - S-10 Xtreme vs MazdaSpeed Protege

I posted a while back about wanting a first camaro Z28 but have since been put down by my pops. He thinks that the insurance would be way too high and its too fast and not practical at all. SO, I am looking for a sporty fun to drive first car and have narrowed it down to either the S-10 Xtreme Extended Cab 5 Speed Manual 4.3L (lots of capital letters there!) or the 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege. Which would you rather have and why? I realize the MSP is a little faster but the S-10 is more muscley and I could put flowmasters on it. Plus it runs regular and gets moderately bad mileage while the MSP runs premium and gets pretty good mileage so its a tradeoff. Which do you think would make the better and more fun first car??

Last edited by Shift4 : 04-18-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

I would get the MSP. Turbocharged, lots of room for easy cheap power.

I really dont like the S10 and see nothing "Extreme" about the Extreme model other than looks, performance (handling and acceleration) is pretty when I drove one. Plus, visually I dont like the S10. The 4.3L V6 is a fun engine though, quite underpowered stock however.

I would get the S-10 Extreme if I was going to use the bed or tow something...but otherwise MSP all the way.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Shift4
CF Newbie

Yeah, I dunno though. . . 4 door cars are normally lame but the MSP is so woot I cant resist! The S-10 Xtreme has been one of my favorite cars/trucks since literally the first time I saw it - I mean try and resist this -
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . . Thats right, its impossible to resist!
What about this! -

See, it just looks so cool. . . The MSP IS awesome too though. . . Thats why I started this thread! I want your opinions on each! (not just looks though, how they ride and drive and the performance of each)
Old 02-27-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well I have no idea about performance or drive quality, but I'd say the Extreme. I've always been an S10 fan (might be getting a 4.3L 93' myself lol) and think they look good, have enough power, and can be okay for more then 2 or 3 passengers (just get the ext. cab), and you can also carry things in the box when needed.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I would get the MSP. Turbocharged, lots of room for easy cheap power.

I really dont like the S10 and see nothing "Extreme" about the Extreme model other than looks, performance (handling and acceleration) is pretty when I drove one. Plus, visually I dont like the S10. The 4.3L V6 is a fun engine though, quite underpowered stock however.

I would get the S-10 Extreme if I was going to use the bed or tow something...but otherwise MSP all the way.

4.3 is underpowered? If the 4.3 is underpowered then what is the 2.2. My friend has a first gen s10 with a 4.3, I don't think it's underpowered, but the power comes on pretty smooth. He runs out of traction before power though.
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The S10 can be cool, but it'll cost to get the air ride to drop it like that. But, an extended cab has all sorts of room for stereo gear. Trucks make gret low cost insurance daily drivers, and an S10 with ari ride will be plenty fine to drive around in.

You don't need anything fast for a first car.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
mx3_monster
im completely sane

get the mazda

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #8
Shift4
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolson
4.3 is underpowered? If the 4.3 is underpowered then what is the 2.2. My friend has a first gen s10 with a 4.3, I don't think it's underpowered, but the power comes on pretty smooth. He runs out of traction before power though.

wow! thats kinda cool to know. . . Becuase a truck isnt SUPPOSED to be fast so if people ride in it and its pretty quick they'll think "wow, this is a fast truck!" whereas the MSP is not super fast (although pretty dang quick) so it might just meet my expectations. . . What about a VW GTI 1.8T? How do both of these cars compare in the speed department to this car? (actually a 1.8T GLI - I rode in one once and it seemed very nice and pretty fast too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The S10 can be cool, but it'll cost to get the air ride to drop it like that. But, an extended cab has all sorts of room for stereo gear. Trucks make gret low cost insurance daily drivers, and an S10 with ari ride will be plenty fine to drive around in.

I definitely agree here but I wasnt planning on bagging it if I got one - I would MAYBE drop it (1/2, 2/2 or 2/3 no lower though) but definitely not bag it. . . It would take a little bit of work though to get it how I wanted. . . think of it as -

$8000 S-10 Xtreme 4.3l x-cab 5 Speed Manual
1000$ Rims and tires (minimum probably - I want boyd coddington smoothie wheels like in the firs pic of the black truck)
150$ CAI
500$ Flowmaster 40 Series
300$ Reprogram
3.42 gears - ???$

What would I need with the MSP or GTI? If I got the GTI it really wouldnt handle that well though. . . plus I've heard the manual is a pretty long throw. . . and rubbery. . .

Last edited by Shift4 : 02-28-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:33 AM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolson

For a 4.3L V6, it's underpowered. The 3.3L V6 from the last frontier had as much horsepower as it. New Frontier 4.0L V6 sports about 70-80hp more (then the 4.3 vortec) and about 30ft-lbs more torque (yet is 300cc+ smaller).

I understand the 4.3L Vortec is a very old engine, but I can still say it's pretty underpowered for its size, I mean they used that engine all the way up until what, 2 years ago?

I never said anything about the 2.2...but yes, it's pretty pathetic as well.

My 2.2 in my '90 Accord is more powerful than the S10's 2.2 it used even in 2003.

I think the reason why I think the 4.3 Vortec is so underpowered in the S10 is because it feels so slow when I drive my uncle's '94 Jimmy (165hp 4.3) which weighs about the same as an S10 with a 4.3. I have driven a 190hp 4.3 S10 before and it still felt pretty pathetic...then again around that times I was being spoiled driving my friend's 2005 4.0L V6 Frontier (265hp) and test driving a 2005 4.0L V6 Tacoma (245hp).

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

I got it now. You were saying it was underpowered for a 4.3, not for that truck.

Also on the top of x cabs, I'm sure someone could live with it if they HAD to get somewhere. Also I like them 'cus then you get more cargo room, throw bogs of groceries back there, coats, whatever.
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.

Last edited by Scolson : 02-28-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 AM   #11
Shift4
CF Newbie

I kind of let this thread die although I could really use some advice on this issue. . . I'm 15 now and if I were to find a good deal on a nice S-10 Xtreme I would probably be allowed to buy it (it almost happened) but I dont want to jump into that if the MSP is the better car for me. I really want a sporty fun to drive car but the S-10 is more muscley which I like plus its cheaper. Would the insurance be cheaper or no? Because if theyre similar insurance prices then overall the MSP would be cheaper due to good gas mileage. If I got the S-10 and needed more power I would MAYBE end up supercharging it and if I wanted more speed in the MSP I could buy a boost controller. Which of these do you think would make a better first car and why?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

S10 just doesnt wow me in the looks department. I like some lowered trucks, but usally only BIGGER trucks (nothing like a dually on air). then again I tend to like truck LIFTED more than LOWERED.

Dont forget, if you ever really want to have more than 2 people in your vehicle you might want to think twice before getting the S10. Only 2 people will really FIT (trust me, no human being of adult age can be comfortable in the back of a small truck's ext. cab).

~Blow your mind~