Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
cwc123
CF Newbie

06 civic, or not 06 civic?

Hi, I'm new but I've run into a problem.
I'm selling my 03 Cavalier for 10k (its like brand new) and I wanted to get a new Honda Civic (the coup). However I have been reading up on them and such and it seems that the power in them are seriosly lacking.
My 2003 Cavalier had a 0-60 time of 7.6-8.0 seconds, the Civic SI has a 0-60 time of 7.2-7.6 seconds. This has me concerned, because I read that the other models have a 0-60 time of 15 seconds! After having the power of my cavalier I don't think I'd enjoy a car that slow. However I'm somewhat perplexed because my Cavalier has 140 hp and the new Civics also have 140 hp, but their acceleration seems terrible. I don't think i'd be able to scrap together enough money to cover 31k (canadain) for the SI so it seems that I'm in trouble.
Comments please, and also post if you like the look of the 06 civic coup

Thanks.
cwc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
davsmitty
CF Addict

my sister has a new civic coupe. its a five spd and she loves it. she got the car after she totaled her mustang. Ive driven the thing and it feels fairly responsive (if not quick) it corners well and the brakes are amazing! The clutch and transmission take no effort whatsoever, the clutch is very smooth and "light". I dont know about the 0-60 times, but ive never had a problem getting going. I think the civic is a pretty good car for what it is.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
lamboluver
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
my sister has a new civic coupe. its a five spd and she loves it. she got the car after she totaled her mustang. Ive driven the thing and it feels fairly responsive (if not quick) it corners well and the brakes are amazing! The clutch and transmission take no effort whatsoever, the clutch is very smooth and "light". I dont know about the 0-60 times, but ive never had a problem getting going. I think the civic is a pretty good car for what it is.
if this person went from a mustang to a CIVIC (and dont get me wrong im a huge import fan) and they are happy with it then the civic must not be bad
lamboluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboluver
if this person went from a mustang to a CIVIC (and dont get me wrong im a huge import fan) and they are happy with it then the civic must not be bad

It was never specified as to what engine the Mustang had in it. They DID have 4 cyc Mustangs for awhile although I doubt this was one. Chances are it was a V6.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc123
I'm selling my 03 Cavalier for 10k (its like brand new) and I wanted to get a new Honda Civic (the coup). However I have been reading up on them and such and it seems that the power in them are seriosly lacking.
My 2003 Cavalier had a 0-60 time of 7.6-8.0 seconds, the Civic SI has a 0-60 time of 7.2-7.6 seconds. This has me concerned, because I read that the other models have a 0-60 time of 15 seconds! After having the power of my cavalier I don't think I'd enjoy a car that slow. However I'm somewhat perplexed because my Cavalier has 140 hp and the new Civics also have 140 hp, but their acceleration seems terrible. I don't think i'd be able to scrap together enough money to cover 31k (canadain) for the SI so it seems that I'm in trouble.

Thanks.

The new Civic Si's have around 200hp. Im not exactly sure on the 0-60 times on the Civic Si though. But that sounds somwhat right (7.2-7.6 seconds). The 0-60 time would also differ depending on whether you opted for a manuel transmission or automatic too though. The 0-60 times you typed were probably for the automatic model.

Last edited by SlipKnoT : 04-04-2006 at 01:19 PM.
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
The new Civic Si's have around 200hp. Im not exactly sure on the 0-60 times on the Civic Si though. But that sounds somwhat right (7.2-7.6 seconds). The 0-60 time would also differ depending on whether you opted for a manuel transmission or automatic too though. The 0-60 times you typed were probably for the automatic model.

Civic Si's only come available in the 6-speed option.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc123

Thanks.

Dont pay attention to 0-60 times.

I guarentee you the Civic SI is MUCH QUICKER than your Cavalier. It's not even a contest.

The Civic DX/LX/EX are pretty zippy too, nothing spectacular but you wont be losing any power over your Cavalier. Should be about as quick. You need to go out and test drive one to find out, that's the best way.

I drove an EX-5spd coupe w/HFP kit on it and it was really fun to drive for a non-SI Civic.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Dont pay attention to 0-60 times.

I guarentee you the Civic SI is MUCH QUICKER than your Cavalier. It's not even a contest.

Hahaha, I love it. "Dont pay attention to recorded times, I just KNOW thats its quicker!"

Funny stuff. I guess your beloved SI has no low end power. Good thing most people go by 1/4 mile times!
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 AM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
Hahaha, I love it. "Dont pay attention to recorded times, I just KNOW thats its quicker!"

Funny stuff. I guess your beloved SI has no low end power. Good thing most people go by 1/4 mile times!

I said dont pay attention to 0-60, where did I say "recorded times". I said this because 0-60 is such an artifical number, who cares about 0-60? Do you race 0-60mph?

Plus, it seems I've found a huge pluthora of different figure for different vehicles. In this case the SI, I've seen as quick as 6.6-6.8 and as slow as 7.7-7.9. PRetty wide range, but who cares? I always just pay attention to 1/4 miles.

Why do people care about all this low end power in a freaking sport compact? When you want to push it performance wise do you stay in the 2000-3000rpm range? Or do you keep it as close to the peaks as possible?

Even in traffic when you want to pass someone it has enough power, especially when I drove one!

Why would you WANT all that torque in a FWD sport compact? Ever heard of TORQUE STEER?

Try again boomba.

~Blow your mind~

Old 04-05-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
cwc123
CF Newbie

Thanks a bunch! All your comments have been very informative and helpful, I'm going to go test drive it tommorow and probably buy it if it is all I've thought of it to be!
cwc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #11
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

If you have enough money to buy a new Civic Si, and unsure because of it's performance, then why not get an SRT-4? Much faster and cheaper.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #12
scrounger
CF Newbie

Quote:
I said dont pay attention to 0-60, where did I say "recorded times". I said this because 0-60 is such an artifical number, who cares about 0-60? Do you race 0-60mph?

Plus, it seems I've found a huge pluthora of different figure for different vehicles. In this case the SI, I've seen as quick as 6.6-6.8 and as slow as 7.7-7.9. PRetty wide range, but who cares? I always just pay attention to 1/4 miles.

Why do people care about all this low end power in a freaking sport compact? When you want to push it performance wise do you stay in the 2000-3000rpm range? Or do you keep it as close to the peaks as possible?

Even in traffic when you want to pass someone it has enough power, especially when I drove one!

Why would you WANT all that torque in a FWD sport compact? Ever heard of TORQUE STEER?

Try again boomba.

I WANT low RPM power because most of my driving is at below 3000RPM anyway. I enjoy passing on country road without the need to scare all the crows in a 10 mile radius. If I were to pump over 6000, I'd need ear plugs or hearing aid after couple of months (if not sooner). That besides the fact how much shorter is the life of the raving car.
Don't get me wrong, Civic is the car I'm looking at for my next buy. I feel in 2007 it will be the logical choice but only because Cav 2006 is the last year in production.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounger
I WANT low RPM power because most of my driving is at below 3000RPM anyway. I enjoy passing on country road without the need to scare all the crows in a 10 mile radius. If I were to pump over 6000, I'd need ear plugs or hearing aid after couple of months (if not sooner). That besides the fact how much shorter is the life of the raving car.
Don't get me wrong, Civic is the car I'm looking at for my next buy. I feel in 2007 it will be the logical choice but only because Cav 2006 is the last year in production.

When I drove both the Civic EX 5spd and Civic SI 6spd they both had plenty of low end for the weight. I never got frustrated once in passing or city driving. 150tq is plenty for a 2900lb vehicle.

~Blow your mind~

Old 04-06-2006, 03:04 AM   #14
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:

Try again boomba.

Torque is good. Torque steer isn't as big of an issue as it used to be. Things like equal lenght half-shafts reduce torque steer. Take the new Grand Prix GXP, over 300 ft-lbs of torque to the front wheels and almost no torque steer.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
Torque is good. Torque steer isn't as big of an issue as it used to be. Things like equal lenght half-shafts reduce torque steer. Take the new Grand Prix GXP, over 300 ft-lbs of torque to the front wheels and almost no torque steer.

Of the reviews I've seen some said it had VERY noticeable torque steer. Others said they coped with it fine.

I'll have to drive it before I come to any conclusions. I think the main reason torque steer is not as bad as it probably could be is more about tall gearing.

The torque steer was pretty bad on the SRT-4 I drove. The torque steer on the TL 5AT is pretty bad too.

~Blow your mind~