Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict

stronger 250 6

Ok call me retarded but right now im running a 250 that only produces 98 horses when new and now has 55k miles and a lot years.
can i rebuild my current engine to be as strong as the 150 hp early version of the motor. If i can't what if I found an in shape 69 250 6 and dropped it in my car Im sure there are a host of performance options.
Is a souped up 250 just a waste of my time?
I think it was just be cool to have a fast (musclish car) with a straight 6.
I figure I could easily get 200 horses from a n/a 250.(with work time and effort)
Or should i just do the unoriginal thing and go v8.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

Do the unoriginal thing.
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
philo
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Ok call me retarded but right now im running a 250 that only produces 98 horses when new and now has 55k miles and a lot years.
can i rebuild my current engine to be as strong as the 150 hp early version of the motor. If i can't what if I found an in shape 69 250 6 and dropped it in my car Im sure there are a host of performance options.
Is a souped up 250 just a waste of my time?
I think it was just be cool to have a fast (musclish car) with a straight 6.
I figure I could easily get 200 horses from a n/a 250.(with work time and effort)
Or should i just do the unoriginal thing and go v8.

Assuming you are looking at the GM 250/6, take a look at the Pontiac version, from 66-69. It was the base 230 engine with an add-on OHC and 10.5/1 compression (1969), and 230 HP. I think it was a two valve head, but did have a four barrel carb on the higher performance versions. It would be a good starting point for you.
philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo
Assuming you are looking at the GM 250/6, take a look at the Pontiac version, from 66-69. It was the base 230 engine with an add-on OHC and 10.5/1 compression (1969), and 230 HP. I think it was a two valve head, but did have a four barrel carb on the higher performance versions. It would be a good starting point for you.

based on his avatar, i'm gonna say we're dealing w/ a ford 250...

...and i think the pmd motor was different than the chevy (i just don't care enough to look it up right now...)

you could, with the right parts and info, build a pretty mean 250. it might also be worth looking into whether the 250 shares a bellhousing bolt pattern w/ the 300 inline 6...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
philo
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
based on his avatar, i'm gonna say we're dealing w/ a ford 250...

...and i think the pmd motor was different than the chevy (i just don't care enough to look it up right now...)

you could, with the right parts and info, build a pretty mean 250. it might also be worth looking into whether the 250 shares a bellhousing bolt pattern w/ the 300 inline 6...

Hey, it's late. Can't see everything (and didn't look either!)...

It was the same block, but of course it had a cam belt system and a few other changes.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo
Hey, it's late. Can't see everything (and didn't look either!)...

It was the same block, but of course it had a cam belt system and a few other changes.
The Pontiac OHC engine had the same block as the Chevy 250? Are you sure about that? If they're the same block, why doesn't the Pontiac have any provision for an in block camshaft, has an external oil pump instead of an internal one and has a different bellhousing bolt pattern? Teach us.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The Pontiac OHC engine had the same block as the Chevy 250? Are you sure about that? If they're the same block, why doesn't the Pontiac have any provision for an in block camshaft, has an external oil pump instead of an internal one and has a different bellhousing bolt pattern? Teach us.

thanks for doing my homework, hobo.... you can have the snack pack out of my lunch tomorrow...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
philo
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

Thanks for the 'trip'. After some research, found (as you already know) that bore spacing and displacement are about the only like specs. That's what I get for listening to others (back then) rather than looking for myself. There was probably no damage done, since I was the only one with the wrong information, and I don't have one of the engines. And it gave you guys something to zing me on.