Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
glagon1979
daddy x3

'78 trans-am trans

a friend of mine is getting his car road worthy again and after driving the car there were a couple of things that need attention. it is a 1978 trans-am with a 400 pontaic engine and a 4 speed manual trans. i have a couple of questions concerning the transmission.
1. how do i tell the difference between a borg warner t-10 and a saginaw?
2. how much is a rebuild kit?
the reason im asking is his syncros are going bad and need replacement before he can drive the car.

also, it has a rochester quadra-junk carb on it and the secondaries are not opening. do i rebuild the carb or tell him hes screwed and tell him to buy a holley or edelbrock? TIA
Old 04-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
a friend of mine is getting his car road worthy again and after driving the car there were a couple of things that need attention. it is a 1978 trans-am with a 400 pontaic engine and a 4 speed manual trans. i have a couple of questions concerning the transmission.
1. how do i tell the difference between a borg warner t-10 and a saginaw?
2. how much is a rebuild kit?
the reason im asking is his syncros are going bad and need replacement before he can drive the car.

also, it has a rochester quadra-junk carb on it and the secondaries are not opening. do i rebuild the carb or tell him hes screwed and tell him to buy a holley or edelbrock? TIA
Take a look at this link, it has the info you seek. This is also a great place to get the kit from. I've been very happy with their service and parts in the past.

http://www.drivetrain.com//vartransp24.html

As for the carbonator, like them or not you really can't beat a Quadra-Jet on the street. Small primaries give you decent mileage around town and big secondaries allow good power when your foot feels heavy. This is especially true if the engine is otherwise stock because lets face it, it's a low compression smog engine. The only down side is that a reman Rochester costs almost as much as a new Holley/Edelbrock. The up side is that you can bebuild it for under $50, new float and all.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote