Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Newb!!
Banned

Learning stuff?

Hey guys (again),
I have just finished reading pretty much every single article in howstuffworks, where do I go from there? I really want to learn this stuff
Newb!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Well I did what you did, and read all that stuff. Some of the things two or three times because I was forgetting some things. I then noticed that it wasn't really a BIG help, but it did some justice on how they function. You should just search specific things and learn their function on the car, what they do, what are they used for, why are they important...ect. If your lucky enough to have someone donate a car to look at the parts and see where they are place, and what they look like, and learn what they do, and how to install/fix them. Then that should be your next step (if your not going to take an automotive shop class). I wasn't that fortunate, so if your like me, then basically your going to have to do A LOT of reading....it will be worth it, if your really interested
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
davsmitty
CF Addict

Find ways to be around cars and to get your hands dirty. Anytime you hear someone say they need help, offer, just dont claim to be able to do it yourself if you cant. If youve read all that you can read (or stand to) experience is it, I managed to get in good with a local hot-rod/body shop for a few summers, had alot of fun and even got some money out of it.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I agree with the others on this. Where reading articles etc helps a great deal, as far as cars and engines go, there's no substitute for getting your hands dirty and doing mechanical work yourself! Just dont do anything you're not completely happy doing, unless you have somebody watching you who knows what they're doing!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Hang out with car people. Unfortunately for me, none of my close friends are car people. If you hang out with car guys, you'll get lots of expierence as car guys are always breaking/upgrading stuff, and are generally pretty friendly.

Also, when your parents need small jobs done (oil change, tire rotation, etc.) volunteer to do it. Eventually you'll get good at this stuff and can move onto bigger jobs. You're parents will save a few $ and you can make a few. It is a good idea to get some sort of book if you'll be working on a specific car multiple times. Haynes are usually decent for the price, but if you want the best you'll need the official service manual. Mine was $100, and is a couple thousand pages.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote