Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Bo Jangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Lightbulb Mods on Chevy Cavalier? Need Advice!

So im soon to purchase a chevy cavalier coupe, and was wondering about how i can make it more sporty without too high of cost.

Some things im going to put on are cold air intake, exhaust headers.... anything else that would help me out for not too much $$ ???

THANKS
Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jangles
So im soon to purchase a chevy cavalier coupe, and was wondering about how i can make it more sporty without too high of cost.

Some things im going to put on are cold air intake, exhaust headers.... anything else that would help me out for not too much $$ ???

THANKS
no offense but ur best bet would be to buy somethin else
__________________
I always tell the truth,
even when i lie
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
Bo Jangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
........

Its also my first car, so its not like i have that many options man.. Of course i would choose something different if i could, but i gotta take what i can get and do the best with it, hence im asking for the advice
Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
I always hear that short shift kits are good for making the car feel sportier. I've never tried or had one though, but I think they aren't too expensive. Look into that....if its a manual.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
V-Tec
CF's student post whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jangles
Its also my first car, so its not like i have that many options man.. Of course i would choose something different if i could, but i gotta take what i can get and do the best with it, hence im asking for the advice
ya i understand but u see that car in my sig thats my first car too which i bough... Cavaliers arent that reliable so i wouldn;t recommend modding it cause u will prolly need money to fix it up.
__________________
I always tell the truth,
even when i lie
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
ya i understand but u see that car in my sig thats my first car too which i bough... Cavaliers arent that reliable so i wouldn;t recommend modding it cause u will prolly need money to fix it up.

You should get past the fact that he has a Cavalier, and accept that thats the car he's going to have. He wants advice on how to modify it, so offer him some advice. If everyone had your ideal car, there would only be a few car manufacturers out there. And I'm not trying to start an argument, just see things from his point of view. Thats the car he wants.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
ya i understand but u see that car in my sig thats my first car too which i bough... Cavaliers arent that reliable so i wouldn;t recommend modding it cause u will prolly need money to fix it up.


I have 4 friends that Have different year Cavaliers. None of them have had problems (besides your average repair wrok like brakes, etc.). Not trying to start an arguement, just letting you know my experiences with Cavies...
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
Bo Jangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Sporty-Cost

By 'sporty' i mean a nice fast car. Not talking bout nascar quick, street quick. and the price i have is around like 1500, possibly more with time. Thanks
Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
z24cavy99
CF Newbie
 
z24cavy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: G-town, fl
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
ya i understand but u see that car in my sig thats my first car too which i bough... Cavaliers arent that reliable so i wouldn;t recommend modding it cause u will prolly need money to fix it up.

ok don't listen to this @$$ hat a cavalier has just as much potential as any imported rice rocket, my cavalier takes bigger $hits than his integra, but lets just say
Virtually
Torque-less
Economy
Car

but anyway about your question, if your getting a cavalier Z/24 or ECOtec, it's going to put more torque to the ground than an import just because of the displacement, but I would go with a aftermarket intake they are generally inexpensive and give you a nice power gain and adds a meaner engine sound, but the short shifter is a great idea also, I've got one and i love it.. if you any more help just hit me up
__________________

http://myspace.com/cavalier8
http://cardomain.com/id/z24cavy99

1999 Cavlaier Z/24
285hp
12.97 @ 111.15mph
137dB
z24cavy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
DukenukemX
CF Newbie
 
DukenukemX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
Actually the Ecotec is one of the most reliable engines you'll ever find. In fact it made it into the top 10 best engines where Honda and Toyota didn't even make it into the top ten.

Just to give an idea on how warped everyone's vision on imports and performance. Take Honda's C32B 3.2L V6 found in the Honda NSX. A lot of import fans like to compare HP per liter which really doesn't mean anything. Hp per MPG on the other hand does tell us how efficient the car was built.

2005 Acura NSX 17-24 MPG. Produces 290 hp.

2005 Chevy Corvette 16-26 MPG. Produces 500 hp.

Historically when ever imports produce racing horsepower they end up getting crap for MPG and we all know know how important gas prices are today.

A 1990 Beretta GTZ with a Quad 4 could produce 180 hp with 160 tq and still got 32 MPG highway. Don't ever tell import owners that i4 performance engines have been in domestic cars since 1988 that produced more power stock then they could ever dream. Ohh and don't tell them it's N/A because they can't use their HP per Liter crap.
__________________
DukenukemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jangles
So im soon to purchase a chevy cavalier coupe, and was wondering about how i can make it more sporty without too high of cost.

Some things im going to put on are cold air intake, exhaust headers.... anything else that would help me out for not too much $$ ???

THANKS
Here's the one thing that the peanut gallery never bothers to find out when they're pretending to answer. You need to define what you mean when you say "sporty" and "too high of cost". Without knowing that, anyone who answers you is just jerking off.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:38 AM   #12
mDoC2200
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jangles
So im soon to purchase a chevy cavalier coupe, and was wondering about how i can make it more sporty without too high of cost.

Some things im going to put on are cold air intake, exhaust headers.... anything else that would help me out for not too much $$ ???

THANKS

Hey The Z24 is supposedly faster but with a few mods to the 2.2 it isnt.
There are quite a few things you can do especially with 1500. DOnt listen to ANYone with an import. unless its Euro. Intake and headers are your first ++
X3 racing makes headers custom from cali and it comes with a downpipe and is a great fit!! although you might need some welding and fitting after the downpipe. GUT THE CAT. there are ways around the sensor the easiest way, readin is just space it out as much as possible w/ washers. then a flowmaster or dynomax is a must. WWW. ThePartsBin.Com has tons of stuff. a throttle body spacer adds a coupls hps in the mix. run a 160 degree thermostat so you dont have an overheating prolem b/c the headers are 4-1 and a 3 inch down pipe that wrap right around the oil pan so the oil tend to get a little hotter. i rum a 10w-40 for more detergent and 40 weight b/c of the heating. just doing that gets you bolt on turbo ready by Garrett and Venom makes High flow fuel pump. fuel Rail, and intake Makifold. i have gone all that far except the turbo. but get the same gas mileage. i had my ecu adjusted but not tuned up as much as i could have. i can give you as much advice as you need but the one thing i will say is take 5 over off the head,and i leave hondas and acuras as though they arent even moving. all i hear is their motor sounding like its gonna through a rod or something at 7 grand or whatever while i'm crusing at 2 and half. My best friend just bouhgt a Mazdaspeed 6,off the line i coulnd even see him in the rear view. but b/c it is only a cav he started to catch me when i hit 80. same happend with a dodge carger r/t. the problem w/ all the new cars is you have to pay 40,000 or 50,000 for 400 or so hp for a car that wieghs 4,000 lbs or more. in retrospect i tought i was racing an orange del sol but he seemed to be having some troulbe keeping up. it took it that when he took his hat off at me and slowed down he was done looking dumb. i'm having the exhast work finalized befor i put the turbo in, even in which case im still only pushing about 8 lbs. and maybe i'll be looking for vipers to race after the turbo is all said and done. ps a good upgrade are brakes. Brembo makes drilled rotors i got online for about 146.00
and the 4 piston calipers from Brembo where kinda pricey but you can use the stock ones and use EBC pads. Use The RED stuff ones i think i paid about 71$$. the brakes where probably the best thing i did to the car. other than bridgestone potenzas. Eibach also makes Sway bars and some strut bars are pretty cheap. its more expensive to have them adjusted. i dont know where you live or if you are concerned with handling. Talk about a sleeeper. hit me back. The DoC
mDoC2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mDoC2200
Hey The Z24 is supposedly faster but with a few mods to the 2.2 it isnt.
There are quite a few things you can do especially with 1500. DOnt listen to ANYone with an import. unless its Euro. Intake and headers are your first ++
X3 racing makes headers custom from cali and it comes with a downpipe and is a great fit!! although you might need some welding and fitting after the downpipe. GUT THE CAT. there are ways around the sensor the easiest way, readin is just space it out as much as possible w/ washers. then a flowmaster or dynomax is a must. WWW. ThePartsBin.Com has tons of stuff. a throttle body spacer adds a coupls hps in the mix. run a 160 degree thermostat so you dont have an overheating prolem b/c the headers are 4-1 and a 3 inch down pipe that wrap right around the oil pan so the oil tend to get a little hotter. i rum a 10w-40 for more detergent and 40 weight b/c of the heating. just doing that gets you bolt on turbo ready by Garrett and Venom makes High flow fuel pump. fuel Rail, and intake Makifold. i have gone all that far except the turbo. but get the same gas mileage. i had my ecu adjusted but not tuned up as much as i could have. i can give you as much advice as you need but the one thing i will say is take 5 over off the head,and i leave hondas and acuras as though they arent even moving. all i hear is their motor sounding like its gonna through a rod or something at 7 grand or whatever while i'm crusing at 2 and half. My best friend just bouhgt a Mazdaspeed 6,off the line i coulnd even see him in the rear view. but b/c it is only a cav he started to catch me when i hit 80. same happend with a dodge carger r/t. the problem w/ all the new cars is you have to pay 40,000 or 50,000 for 400 or so hp for a car that wieghs 4,000 lbs or more. in retrospect i tought i was racing an orange del sol but he seemed to be having some troulbe keeping up. it took it that when he took his hat off at me and slowed down he was done looking dumb. i'm having the exhast work finalized befor i put the turbo in, even in which case im still only pushing about 8 lbs. and maybe i'll be looking for vipers to race after the turbo is all said and done. ps a good upgrade are brakes. Brembo makes drilled rotors i got online for about 146.00
and the 4 piston calipers from Brembo where kinda pricey but you can use the stock ones and use EBC pads. Use The RED stuff ones i think i paid about 71$$. the brakes where probably the best thing i did to the car. other than bridgestone potenzas. Eibach also makes Sway bars and some strut bars are pretty cheap. its more expensive to have them adjusted. i dont know where you live or if you are concerned with handling. Talk about a sleeeper. hit me back. The DoC
Oh my. I think we have a new winner in the "post containing the most bullsh*t" sweepstakes. Oh my, oh my.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #14
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Oh my. I think we have a new winner in the "post containing the most bullsh*t" sweepstakes. Oh my, oh my.

He helped out more than you did...
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
dmanz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Quote:
He gets credit for saying wheels instead of rims, I'll give you that.

thank you. i realize its not the greatest car but when cash is tight, what other choice do you have
dmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.