Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Please dont be what I think it is!!

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.
A few days ago, me, my husband, and our 7 yr old were driving along, and he (the husband) thought that it would be fun to go drive through this big puddle in the middle of a parking lot. So he does, and everyone laughed, and so he decides to do it again, this time backing up and hitting the puddle at about 50. Anyway, car stalls in the middle of the puddle (I made him get out and push us out) The puddle was about a foot or so deep, maybe a bit more. It will not start now, all that happens is the engine clicks. It doesnt even try to turn over. That was about 4 days ago and the same thing still happens. This is going to be expensive to fix, isnt it?

Thanks for your input.

Nova
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:41 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Hi, not nesecerilly expensive, it sounds to me like you just made the electrics pretty wet, I had the same thing happen to me a while ago (only I wasn't expecting the puddle!)..I could do with some more info, ie; make and model, year etc, but I'd without doubt just suggest that you take of the distributor cap and dry it out, also I'd dry the plug leads too..bassically, anything electrical meeds to be dried of!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-04-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Hi, not nesecerilly expensive, it sounds to me like you just made the electrics pretty wet, I had the same thing happen to me a while ago (only I wasn't expecting the puddle!)..I could do with some more info, ie; make and model, year etc, but I'd without doubt just suggest that you take of the distributor cap and dry it out, also I'd dry the plug leads too..bassically, anything electrical meeds to be dried of!


Hey,

Sorry, didnt realize that I didnt put that in. It is a 94 Nissan Altima. We got the car towed home and have left it sit for 4 days now. Shouldnt it be dry? I have been reading and have come across "hydrolock" which has frightened me a bit. I guess it what happens when you live with a 30 yr old child!
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:55 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
Hey,

Sorry, didnt realize that I didnt put that in. It is a 94 Nissan Altima. We got the car towed home and have left it sit for 4 days now. Shouldnt it be dry? I have been reading and have come across "hydrolock" which has frightened me a bit. I guess it what happens when you live with a 30 yr old child!
lol...Hydrolock is more of an issue where water is able to enter the engine more redilly, the car you mention is fuel injected (Multi point) so it wont have a carb, if it did have a carb, water would be able to enter more freely ie; through the air filter box ect. I'm almost certain that your car wont have let any water in, however, if it still wont start I'd have it looked at by a Mechanic, the clicking you describe is more evident when the Started motor's inop, if the started motor got wet...like it tends to when you speed through a puddle I suggest making sure all the wires are dry...just dont touch the solenoid with anything metalic lol

Good luck
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
lol...Hydrolock is more of an issue where water is able to enter the engine more redilly, the car you mention is fuel injected (Multi point) so it wont have a carb, if it did have a carb, water would be able to enter more freely ie; through the air filter box ect. I'm almost certain that your car wont have let any water in, however, if it still wont start I'd have it looked at by a Mechanic, the clicking you describe is more evident when the Started motor's inop, if the started motor got wet...like it tends to when you speed through a puddle I suggest making sure all the wires are dry...just dont touch the solenoid with anything metalic lol

Good luck

Thank you very much. I was sooo scared about that. We are going to take it to a mechanic when the weekend is over if it still doesnt start, I just wanted to educate myself as not to get ripped off.

Thanks again for your help.

Nova

PS, this may sound stupid, but what is the solenoid?
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:15 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
PS, this may sound stupid, but what is the solenoid?
It's not a stupid question..infact I had the feeling you'd ask, the following link shows the exact workings of the starter motor in detail...Although the link isn't a specific starter motor one, it should help you no end! if ya need it simplified, just ask..hell, even I found that link hard to understand lol

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...attery1_od.htm
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-04-2004 at 02:17 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:12 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
lol...Hydrolock is more of an issue where water is able to enter the engine more redilly, the car you mention is fuel injected (Multi point) so it wont have a carb, if it did have a carb, water would be able to enter more freely ie; through the air filter box ect. I'm almost certain that your car wont have let any water in, however, if it still wont start I'd have it looked at by a Mechanic, the clicking you describe is more evident when the Started motor's inop, if the started motor got wet...like it tends to when you speed through a puddle I suggest making sure all the wires are dry...just dont touch the solenoid with anything metalic lol

Good luck
Reality check on the information. A carbureted engine has an air filter assembly, a carb and an intake manifold. A fuel injected engine has an air filter assembly, a throttle body body and an intake manifold. How exactly is the throttle body going to stop water ingress if the carburetor won't? Not a very well thought out answer. On to the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.
A few days ago, me, my husband, and our 7 yr old were driving along, and he (the husband) thought that it would be fun to go drive through this big puddle in the middle of a parking lot. So he does, and everyone laughed, and so he decides to do it again, this time backing up and hitting the puddle at about 50. Anyway, car stalls in the middle of the puddle (I made him get out and push us out) The puddle was about a foot or so deep, maybe a bit more. It will not start now, all that happens is the engine clicks. It doesnt even try to turn over. That was about 4 days ago and the same thing still happens. This is going to be expensive to fix, isnt it?
Well I know from your description that the car has been driven through a puddle and now goes click. Because of the fact that it was run through what seem to be a fairly deep puddle, as Cliffy said it could be hydraulically locked. The first thing to do is use a socket and large ratchet to try and turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn, the next step is to remove the sparkplugs and try it again. If it's hydro locked this will push the water out of the cylinders. While you have the plugs out, go ahead and spin the engine over with the starter. Then put the plugs back in and start it up.

If the engine turns freely when you first try moving it with the ratchet, come back, let us know and we'll go to chapter two.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:22 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Reality check on the information. A carbureted engine has an air filter assembly, a carb and an intake manifold. A fuel injected engine has an air filter assembly, a throttle body body and an intake manifold. How exactly is the throttle body going to stop water ingress if the carburetor won't? Not a very well thought out answer. On to the problem.
Ok, I wont try to prove you wrong...cos you aint lol...I was just trying to point out that an older engine is a hell of a lot more likely to let water in than a newer engine...that's all
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:43 AM   #9
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Well I know from your description that the car has been driven through a puddle and now goes click. Because of the fact that it was run through what seem to be a fairly deep puddle, as Cliffy said it could be hydraulically locked. The first thing to do is use a socket and large ratchet to try and turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn, the next step is to remove the sparkplugs and try it again. If it's hydro locked this will push the water out of the cylinders. While you have the plugs out, go ahead and spin the engine over with the starter. Then put the plugs back in and start it up.

If the engine turns freely when you first try moving it with the ratchet, come back, let us know and we'll go to chapter two.[/quote]


Well, I have let everything (the plugs and the distributer cap, wires etc) dry and it still wont start. Other then that, I dont think that I am going to try to fix it myself. It is not my car and I dont like "fixing" other peoples stuff when I dont really know what I am doing. But I wanted to be informed before I went to the mechanic. They have a really bad rep for ripping people off in this city. However, if there is something really simple I could do, I could give it a shot. I just dont want to triple the price of the mechanic, cause I tried to fix it myself.
-Nova
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.