Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
VietImportz
CF Newbie

Need some advice for parking!!

I'm a 15 year old that is about to get my license I know everything about driving but the same problem i get suck with is parking in a parking spot..for some reason when ever I park I will not be able to park smothly it will sometimes be crooked or i will have to reverse back and park in but i seem cant to do it in one try can somebody help me?? Thanks alot.
VietImportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Start further away from the spot (if the spot is on the right, go a little left if you can) and then you should have more time to get the car straightened out. Put like everything, you'll get better at it with practice. I had trouble paralel parking. I still can't do it too well (Very few places you have to paralel park around here), but I'm better than I was before.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
Bo Jangles
CF Newbie

hint

well what helped me out was lets say you are parking in a spot on the right side of you car, line the right line of the parking spot even to your front right tire then crank it right, if you have enough spacing then you should be able to turn in smoothly and park nice and straight
Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
struTTinTelloS
CF Newbie

I wasnt a very good parker either when i started driving but Ive gotton a lot better. With pulling into a parking space in a parking lot make sure you swing it and know whats around you. Ive found that a good parking space for newer drivers is a space next to a buggy return or a curb. Just because they are a little bit bigger and you only have to worry about one car instead of two. I have never had trouble with backing into any type of parking space because before I even had my permit i was pullin huge horse trailers and i pretty much learned to back up with that on a truck so when i got my car its sort of like second nature. Just make sure your lookin behind you, dont go fast (kinda coast), and remember steering feels difforent so dont steer with jerky movements. Make everything smooth!! And parallel parking is a little harder than everything else but just remember put your signal on(so other people wont try to take it) pull past the space and stop beside the car or space in front of it. Turn slightly hard to back into the space, back untill you almost hit the curb then straighten up. 9 times out of 10 your in. One more very important thing to remember is to take your time!! Hope that helps.
struTTinTelloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

its all about getting your ass out here and practicing, trying different veriations and figuring out what works for you, telling you how to do it is one thing you actually doing it is another, doesnt matter what we tell you if you dont have enough practice you will fail
Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Although this thread was 'dead', I'll offer my two pennies worth. I have always been good at parking, and it's what I blag about when arguing about certain driving techniques with the missus. As Satty said, the further away from the spot you want to park in the better. It's always easier to reverse in to a space, however tight or tricky it appears, as it's alot easier to straighten up when reversing (especially when parallel parking!) unless you have a stupidly large space in which to park!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote