Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
tingnting
CF Newbie

In England.....

......i see more & more new cars are automatics. Why is this..? I much prefer a manual to an automatic...Are there more advantages to automatics. I personally consider it lazy driving. Your thoughts please
tingnting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
donniethornton
CF Newbie

both are good.

i have both. Auto, is good when u get off work, Traffic sucks and you just want to go home.
Manual is good when you want to save energy, or get butt load of power. Its fun to drive.
I want both.
donniethornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Automatics are luxury items, and the only transmisions available in top luxury cars like Rolls Royce, and the like. As such, people want to own luxury items, and are willing to pay for it if they can afford it.

There are a lot of what used to be pure luxury items you now take for granted. Is it "lazy driving" that you no longer have to use a manual choke? Is it "lazy driving" that you no longer have to hand crank your engine to start it? Power windows, power steering, power door locks, power sunroofs, etc., all staples of modern mid level cars.

Driving is vastly more than merely selecting which gear you're going to be in.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
tingnting
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Automatics are luxury items, and the only transmisions available in top luxury cars like Rolls Royce, and the like. As such, people want to own luxury items, and are willing to pay for it if they can afford it.

There are a lot of what used to be pure luxury items you now take for granted. Is it "lazy driving" that you no longer have to use a manual choke? Is it "lazy driving" that you no longer have to hand crank your engine to start it? Power windows, power steering, power door locks, power sunroofs, etc., all staples of modern mid level cars.

Yeah, i s'pose your right. But it still doesn't answer my question of what the pro's & con's are...?
tingnting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV

I think that hand cranking thing was more of a safety measure from too many people having their arms ripped off lol.

The best way to tell what the advantages to an automatic are to go to the dealership and test drive one.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
Bubba
null

wow... i completely forgot about manual chokes, i remember my dads old 1970-something generic diesel mitsubishi truck had the manual choke and a backup crank.... lol
Old 06-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
wow... i completely forgot about manual chokes, i remember my dads old 1970-something generic diesel mitsubishi truck had the manual choke and a backup crank.... lol

try that in a mini, that couldnt start on a cold morning

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote