Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
2001cavalier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Shocks Shot?

Hey, Whenever I go throung like a pot-hole or over a bump I hear a really loud poping noise by the back passenger-side wheel. It is also very bumpy whenever you hit a small bump that you don't feel in most vehicals. My guess is that the shock is shot and I am just riding on the springs. Any Ideas?
2001cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
Hey, Whenever I go throung like a pot-hole or over a bump I hear a really loud poping noise by the back passenger-side wheel. It is also very bumpy whenever you hit a small bump that you don't feel in most vehicals. My guess is that the shock is shot and I am just riding on the springs. Any Ideas?
Newsflash. You're already riding on the springs. That's how the suspension is supposed to work. Shock absorbers do nothing more than dampen the action of the springs. Otherwise you may very well be correct in the rest of your assessment. How many miles does the car have on it? That in itself is a very good indication. Finally, you have struts on your car all the way around, not shocks.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
2001cavalier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
Newsflash. You're already riding on the springs.
yea I know that...I said am I **JUST** riding on springs as in no shocks. Anyways, I have about 50,000 miles on it. -Appreciate the reply!
2001cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
yea I know that...I said am I **JUST** riding on springs as in no shocks. Anyways, I have about 50,000 miles on it. -Appreciate the reply!
You know that? Maybe I didn't make myself clear. YOU ARE JUST RIDING ON THE SPRINGS, THAT'S HOW YOUR SUSPENSION WORKS. Get it? Refresh my memory and tell me who said this just today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
Hey, What's up? Just found this site, lol get ready for lots of questions bout my car, cause on a lot of stuff I'm pretty much clueless. -Thanks!
You by your own admission are clueless. I'm trying to teach you something but you're either too dumb or too hardheaded to learn.

At 50k miles your struts are in fact about due to be replaced, but... Unless the car has been heavily loaded on a regular basis or driven on extremely rough roads, the struts shouldn't be in bad enough shape to cause your problem. It looks to me like you need to get the car up in the air and see if you have a loose or damaged suspension or brake component. Or did you already know that too?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
2001cavalier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
You by your own admission are clueless. I'm trying to teach you something but you're either too dumb or too hardheaded to learn.
Hmm....I appreciate the help but not the rude comments. I don't know your problem with me but, I guess my first post here I get slammed right away?

ADMIN PLEASE CLOSE AND DELETE THIS THREAD, Thanks!
2001cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
Hmm....I appreciate the help but not the rude comments. I don't know your problem with me but, I guess my first post here I get slammed right away?

ADMIN PLEASE CLOSE AND DELETE THIS THREAD, Thanks!
1. It was not your first post. This was your first post. Ensuring your statements are factually correct makes you so much more credible.

2. I don't have a problem with you and you didn't get slammed right away. I attempted to educate you but you're unable or unwilling to recognise that. The problem begins when you believe that you already know something that by your own admission you don't. Why is it so hard for people to open their minds and absorb information?

3. Asking to have a thread deleted is a bitch's way out. To delete the thread would be to delete history. Except for your whining this is a useful and educational exchange. Get over your victim mentality and get with the program. If you want "nice" talk, leave here and join the I Love Barney forum. Have a nice day.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
DukenukemX
CF Newbie
 
DukenukemX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
Hey, Whenever I go throung like a pot-hole or over a bump I hear a really loud poping noise by the back passenger-side wheel. It is also very bumpy whenever you hit a small bump that you don't feel in most vehicals. My guess is that the shock is shot and I am just riding on the springs. Any Ideas?
Could be they're shot but you don't know that. Just cause you feel bumps isn't the way you indicate if shocks have gone bad.

For example the springs actually absorb the bumps. It's the shocks/struts that absorb the stored kinetic energy in the springs. The idea is to prevent your car from bouncing all over the road once you hit the bump.

The reason you feel more bumps then other cars is because the springs on the Cavalier are just stiffer. Think of the bumps you feel as feedback to the driver.

I would try taking a look under the car or maybe try greasing the rubber bushings. If it continues then try taking it to a local shop. Though it probably won't do much good unless there's something actually broken on the car.

Since you have 50,000 miles it might not be such a bad idea to change them anyway. I recommend KYB struts/shocks since they're cheap and are pretty good OEM replacments. They're pretty cheap on tirerack.com .

Also if you haven't noticed nobody likes vwhobo. Took me a while to notice that he's this forums asshole. The fact he has so many posts just makes him the asshole of the year.

Like the great Maddox would say.

That's besides the point. What's important is that I'm always right about everything. If you disagree with anything I have to say, you are wrong. For example... I changed my mind, I can't think of an example. But trust me, I'm right.
__________________

Last edited by DukenukemX : 07-19-2006 at 07:38 AM.
DukenukemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukenukemX
Could be they're shot but you don't know that. Just cause you feel bumps isn't the way you indicate if shocks have gone bad.

For example the springs actually absorb the bumps. It's the shocks/struts that absorb the stored kinetic energy in the springs. The idea is to prevent your car from bouncing all over the road once you hit the bump.

The reason you feel more bumps then other cars is because the springs on the Cavalier are just stiffer. Think of the bumps you feel as feedback to the driver.

I would try taking a look under the car or maybe try greasing the rubber bushings. If it continues then try taking it to a local shop. Though it probably won't do much good unless there's something actually broken on the car.

Since you have 50,000 miles it might not be such a bad idea to change them anyway. I recommend KYB struts/shocks since they're cheap and are pretty good OEM replacments. They're pretty cheap on tirerack.com .

Also if you haven't noticed nobody likes vwhobo. Took me a while to notice that he's this forums asshole. The fact he has so many posts just makes him the asshole of the year.

Like the great Maddox would say.

That's besides the point. What's important is that I'm always right about everything. If you disagree with anything I have to say, you are wrong. For example... I changed my mind, I can't think of an example. But trust me, I'm right.
You must be the forum's new village idiot. You do realize that you just reworded what I've already told him, don't you? You also realize that;

1. Just because you don't like me doesn't mean nobody does. Your all or nothing way of thinking diplays a tremendous inability to... think. And;

2. I don't care who likes or dislikes me. Never did, never will. That is the playground of emotionally crippled little fellas like you. By the way...

3. You are obviously a great intellect. Calling me an asshole is so very original. You probably looked at the user title under my screen name and reworded that as well. You're quite the legend in your own mind, aren't you Twinkie?

Time for you to run along and log onto your favorite forum, iamacompleteandutterwasteofoxygen.com. Have a nice day.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukenukemX
Also if you haven't noticed nobody likes vwhobo. Took me a while to notice that he's this forums asshole. The fact he has so many posts just makes him the asshole of the year.
Another ignorant n00b then......

I think you'll find that it's mainly little idiots like yourself, for example, who have an ongoing problem with hobo, mainly because he has a way of showing YOU the error of your ways....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
2001cavalier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
I think you'll find that it's mainly little idiots like yourself, for example, who have an ongoing problem with hobo, mainly because he has a way of showing YOU the error of your ways...

That's my definition of an asshole, a person that can only find fault of others. And, DukenukemX I do appreciate your reply!
2001cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
That's my definition of an asshole, a person that can only find fault of others. And, DukenukemX I do appreciate your reply!
Then you should certainly appriciate mine because every bit of information he gave you had already been covered. Oh wait. You just appreciate it more from him because he's an ignorant little twat like you. Birds of a feather and all that.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
2001cavalier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
I did say I appreciated yours, go ahead and look up. Also, he gave me a lot more info than you did.....go ahead and comapare....you were more worried about my errors, and DukenukemX was doing what I expected, help me solve my problem, not be a jerk and just try to find fault in my posts.
2001cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.