Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

$#@*(^&%$#!!!!!

Yesterday at about noon my wife was taken to the emergency room. She had passed out at work after having vertigo and nausea. Doctors said it's normally caused by an inner ear infection but they couldn't find anything. I am of the opinion it's caused by the stress of building/paying for the addition to the house, combined with the load of bullsh*t that we had to deal with at her folk's house this past weekend (a loooong story that wasn't very happy at all). She's back at work today, but i really dont' think she should be.

On the way home from the hospital, in rush hour traffic, I had to go through a section of road construction. I was in teh middle lane of three, with barriers on the left and those orange barrels blocking off the right hand lane. the lane I was in had been shaved in prep for paving, so was about an inch lower than the left lane. Traffic was heavy, and suddenly the car in front of me bounced up and down. Apparently the lane at that popint dropped off another 2 inches or so, and right there was a manhole cover that was the height of the original pavement (so it was about 3" tall). I had nowhere to go and no way of stopping. it was just instant: the car in front bounced, the dropoff was there as was the manhole cover, and the poor little Fiat took it on the chin, smashing the crap out of the oil pan. The was an instant puff of smoke out the back, and it started sounding like a playing card in bicycle spokes, as the crank was hitting the smashed bottom of the pan.

With no place to pull off (a barrier and traffic on the left, and an embankment on the right, I had to continue to the next exit, a half mile up the hill. When I could finally pull over there was a huge oil puddle under the car. Luckily it hadn't run completely out of oil while driving, and the engine hadn't even gotten hot yet. But the pan is fubar, and I'm worried about the crank. And that's the new engine that I just put in about 4 weeks ago. I have to pull the engine to change the pan, but I can't do that with the garage unfinished and filled with building materials. AND the engine hoist is behind the garage in the temporary storge unit underneath other things, including the Lexus engine on its pallet (which is sitting on the legs of the engine hoist, as that's how I got it out of the garage when I tore the old one down). So the Fiat's down for the count.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Damn man that sucks...all I can say is try to report it to your government, see if they will give you compensation for it...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

shouldve taken the land rover

j/k, but what dodgerforlife said before me
at least the engine isnt damaged in a more horrible way

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Yeah tha does suck...dodger's right though isn't he? You could always sue

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
shouldve taken the land rover

j/k, but what dodgerforlife said before me
at least the engine isnt damaged in a more horrible way

I drove the Fiat to work, as usual, and drove from work straight to the ER. The Range Rover was at the metro station, as she had taken it to the Metro station to go to work. I had to get a ride yesterday evening over to get the Rangie from the station.

And yeah, I'm understanding why so many people drive SUVs for purely city living. It's almost like driving ofroad with the conditions of the roads here.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
fudge
let's fighting love

Now's the chance to put the Lexus engine into the Fiat
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Sorry about the car Chris, but it's only a car which is always repairable. More importantly I hope your wife is/is going to be okay... I'm sure she'd be a little harder and a lot more expensive to replace. Gotta worry about the truly important things in life after all.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

And I thought I had a bad day yesterday. I'm sorry to hear all that.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

ChrisV your community may have the bug that swept through Oz this year. It is a virus that gives the inner ear a caning. I was unfortunate enough to have it inflict me while driving down the freeway at 100 clicks. I thought my tyres had given out, then felt I was on a rollercoaster and to top it off the worst case of sea sickness symptoms. Luckly I managed to swerve to the side and stop, but boy I was crook.

Last edited by Wally : 08-16-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
True_Brit
Has a new job!

you get sea sickness symptoms on the road? lol, im sorry to hear about the unfortunate event ChrisV

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #11
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i actually had to take my grandmother to the hospital this morning because of vertigo. no fun
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 AM   #12
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

When it rains it pours...yeah, definitely. Sorry to hear about those things. Your wife will be OK, your car repaired, your addition completed, and you'll be a happy camper anytime now. Stuff happens unfortunately. Again, sorry to hear!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 AM   #13
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I hope your wifes ok chris, and like hobo said don't worry about the car you can repair it.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote