Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast

Audi, truly one of the best...

Amongst others Audi was never too loud with their models, but kept in shadow and just concentrating on building really good cars, unlike others who made spectacle out of every single model they put in mass production. Interesting is, how many innovations Audi made. They for example first put FWD, which today is used in 90% of cars made. They innovated 4WD which had (until they innovated it) very bad efficiency level. Wankel’s engine was first put in Audi. They almost always came first with new materials for chassis, etc. Last year they won 24h of Le Mans with diesel, even though there is opinion that VW has primate on diesel field. They keep their work quiet and show the results at the end. I like it. Audi certainly is not my favorite make, but still there can be no denying that they are amongst the best of the best. What do you think?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
True_Brit
Has a new job!

have you seen the latest Audi A6 tv advert???
http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2.html

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngluvakov(euro)
They for example first put FWD, which today is used in 90% of cars made.
Where did you get that info?....I'm sure Citroen was the first to have FWD back in the fifties....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Where did you get that info?....I'm sure Citroen was the first to have FWD back in the fifties....
well, i can deffinatly say FWD wasnt put in place by audi, so i think ill agree with you!!!
i suppose he meant 4WD/AWD?

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
well, i can deffinatly say FWD wasnt put in place by audi, so i think ill agree with you!!!
i suppose he meant 4WD/AWD?
Usually I'd have said that's what he meant, too, however, he said that it's used in 90% of cars made....which FWD probably is, but AWD certainly isn't. He also then went on to talk about Audi and AWD in another statement, which also suggests this

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:43 AM   #6
True_Brit
Has a new job!

did you know the name AUDI has 2 different meanings!!!!
1) Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt,,,which Ingolstadt in Bavaria was (or still is?) the HQ and
2) Audi is latin for the founders family name "Horch" which mean Hark in german!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
did you know the name AUDI has 2 different meanings!!!!
1) Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt,,,which Ingolstadt in Bavaria was (or still is?) the HQ and
2) Audi is latin for the founders family name "Horch" which mean Hark in german!
I knew about the Auto Union thing, but not number 2!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

Cliffy, thousands of posts, still you know little about car history. Today it's easy to find out anything. Why haven't you searched net, before you posted? Read this, it's from Audi's homepage:
"DKW F 1 Roadster
The 1931 DKW F 1 was the car that introduced front-wheel drive to the mass-produced car for the first time. (Compact power train with its twin-cylinder two-stroke engine, 600 cc, 18 bhp.)."

here's link:
http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/abo...eel_drive.html
Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I think most audis are overpriced pieces of crap. My honest opinion. You get much more in competing models for the same or less.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I think most audis are overpriced pieces of crap. My honest opinion. You get much more in competing models for the same or less.
If you really believe in what you say, O.K., but based on what? I would love to hear about your car comparing methods. I think that you can get South Korean Chevy cheap, but that is because S. Korean Chevy doesn't have R&D part. You must overprice your car a bit if you want to have funds for R&D. That's the price for progress. Original Chevy isn't as cheap as S. Korean, think about why. Generally, car companies try not to overprice their cars, because that would only help their competition to become more selling company. I think that they pay very much of attention to price. It is just question of what do you seek in car, what are your needs. If your needs are fulfilled with less than Audi is giving, then it is normal to say that you don't need Audi or any similar car. Personally, I would never buy Audi, but I can't say that it is no good. I am not executive type of man. Only present model I wouldn't say no to is A3! Sexy little car with soul!

Last edited by ngluvakov(euro) : 11-21-2006 at 05:09 PM.
ngluvakov(euro) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
If you really believe in what you say, O.K., but based on what? I would love to hear about your car comparing methods. I think that you can get South Korean Chevy cheap, but that is because S. Korean Chevy doesn't have R&D part. You must overprice your car a bit if you want to have funds for R&D. That's the price for progress. Original Chevy isn't as cheap as S. Korean, think about why. Generally, car companies try not to overprice their cars, because that would only help their competition to become more selling company. I think that they pay very much of attention to price. It is just question of what do you seek in car, what are your needs. If your needs are fulfilled with less than Audi is giving, then it is normal to say that you don't need Audi or any similar car. Personally, I would never buy Audi, but I can't say that it is no good. I am not executive type of man. Only present model I wouldn't say no to is A3! Sexy little car with soul!

I don't think they are horrible cars. I think there are better cars for the money in the same competing classes.

EXAMPLE: 2006 audi tt 1.8 liter comes with fwd standard as a coupe or roadster, costing 33000 and 35000 respectively...180 hp, turboed and all. Pretty damn slow 0-60...estimated at about 7.8 secs.

Compare that to the 2006 bmw z4. It doesn't come as a coupe, but the roadster is the same 35000. Much faster (est. 0-60 is 6.2) and more powerful. RWD. Not to mention, BMWs handle and drive much better than audis IMO.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE: 2007 audi s4 sedan. PROS: AWD. CONS: expensive.

BMW 335i sedan: They're coming out with AWD one but let's just say the base one. CONS: rwd as opposed to awd PROS: Costs 9,000 less than the s4.

BOTH are just as fast as one another.

Mind you, the s4 is supposed to be the equivalent of the BMW M motorsports division of BMW, so this is shocking how much more Audi charges for a car that essentially only has AWD as an advantage. You can bet that when BMW comes out with the AWD 335i sedan, it will only cost about 2k more. So effectively, you can say audi charges 7k more for a car that's pretty much the same no matter how you cut it.

I think the standard equipment is about the same. Also I have watched over 2 dozen comparison test videos and read many articles comparing audis to BMWs and it is always the same consensus: The audi may be faster (like the rs4) but the BMW is definitely a better drive.

I am using BMW as an example because it's their main competitor.

I could tell you how the a6 costs you tons if you want some of the luxury features you could get in a lexus es350 or acura tl for 10-15k less.

AND you may say the acura and lexus are fwd, well, sadly so is the a6 unless you want to fork over an extra 4 grand for the quattro.

Basically, if you're looking for a luxury car, audi will nickel and dime you on everything. And if you're looking for a luxury sports car that's really fast, BMW is just better.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 11-21-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Cliffy, thousands of posts, still you know little about car history. Today it's easy to find out anything. Why haven't you searched net, before you posted? Read this, it's from Audi's homepage:
"DKW F 1 Roadster
The 1931 DKW F 1 was the car that introduced front-wheel drive to the mass-produced car for the first time. (Compact power train with its twin-cylinder two-stroke engine, 600 cc, 18 bhp.)."

here's link:
http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/abo...eel_drive.html
How about before you try telling me I know nothing about car history, you read some of my 8,000 posts......

It's debatable as to whether Audi was the first manufacturer to introduce FWD, as Citroen used it on the type-C between 1919 and 1934 (I was a little out with the dates that I provided earlier), and given that your infor was direct from Audi (bias maybe?) and mine was from independent research by TV journolists...I'm swayed towards my info. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I researched both manufacturers history and as such, am just posting my personal observations!

Oh, and for the record, most of your "knowledge" on cars apears to come straight out of a book of off the Internet.....word by word....coincidence?

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-21-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #13
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, and for the record, most of your "knowledge" on cars apears to come straight out of a book of off the Internet.....word by word....coincidence?

When I was working on some small article that needed to be sent to Auto Bild about six months ago, I researched Audi's history. No matter how you get the info, more matters whether it’s right or wrong. Even so if you are right, isn't it good to see how many innovations Audi made? Don't they have much? Never mind about FWD.

Oh, and for the record, I never use other people's words as mine. When I post citation, it is clearly visible...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Cliffy, thousands of posts, still you know little about car history.

Quote:
When I was working on some small article that needed to be sent to Auto Bild about six months ago, I researched Audi's history. No matter how you get the info, more matters whether it’s right or wrong. Even so if you are right, isn't it good to see how many innovations Audi made? Don't they have much? Never mind about FWD.
So not only is the your above statement about me knowing little about car history incorrect, but you say that you yourself researched Audi's history a while ago, which would suggest that you didn't know much about it before your research...

And you also appear to be attempting to backtrack a little, too...

Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast

History is history, you either know it or you don’t. You are right Cliffy. But still… Don’t take this personally, I don’t have intention to offend you. – After 8000 posts on forum that discusses about cars, you should have some experience. If not about the inventing FWD, then at least researching information you see on CF, to see if it is right or not. Never mind.
I think that very few people here lead constructive discussion, others just say: “You are wrong” without giving the facts why they think so (not referring to your last post here Cliffy). It is no wonder why people here end with no constructive thought about thread they started when we all try to go further from it like this example thread (including this post). You end up with 8000 posts, of which most are defending from someone or attacking someone.
I’m sorry Cliffy if I offended you. I take all my offensive (to you) words and parts in this post, before you even point out which one you don’t agree with, so you don’t need to quote me after this and tell me that I am wrong. Let’s continue discussion which started this thread. O.K.?