Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Question Why don't cars go as fast as thier speedometers indicate?

I have this "friend" whose speedometer gooes up to 140, but in 5th gear he can't go over 4000 rpms, and 95 mph. Is there something in the engine that prevents this? Can it be adjusted, legally?

Let me know so I can tell my "friend". I myself always do the speed limit.
whicky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

What's the make/model of the car?

Most likely, that's a rev limiter...I'm not sure whether that's illegal, but it was put in by the manufacturer for a reason...Anything past that could damage the engine and other parts.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
What's the make/model of the car?

Most likely, that's a rev limiter...I'm not sure whether that's illegal, but it was put in by the manufacturer for a reason...Anything past that could damage the engine and other parts.

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS, 5 speed.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:07 AM   #4
whicky1978
CF Newbie

I'd like to up it to 5000, that would still be safe I think. It gets great gas milage. Average 35 mpg with premium gas. Where I live, there are no emissions limits, I think.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
I'd like to up it to 5000, that would still be safe I think. It gets great gas milage. Average 35 mpg with premium gas. Where I live, there are no emissions limits, I think.
why waste money on premium it's a hyundai...
Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
why waste money on premium it's a hyundai...
Ditto

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!

the police will love them for the revenue the cameras will earn!!!
(drivers wont )
great article though about the speeder

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Premium gas saves me one cent per mile. I put 350 miles on my car per week. That's about 1400 miles per month. So I save 14 dollars a month by using premium gas. Furthermore, I don't have to gas up every 4 days, but instead 9 days because of the difference in gas milage. I find that using premium gas is convenient.

A couple of times, my car tank overflowed with gas, I think I got more gas in the tank, and less air, and got better fuel economy and more fuel in the tank. I guess the slow pumping gas did not cut off because the pressure was too low.

Now, I can reach 5000+ rpm in lower gears, but not in fith gear. Is this to limit the speed limit of the car or is this simply the limit of my car?

Last edited by whicky1978 : 05-07-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
No one with an engineering or automotive technical background will make the statements to the effect of you will not damage your car or kill someone by operating it outside the factory specifications without modifications.

If you live anywhere in the United States, Canada or most of Western Europe, there are emissions limits set by the lawmaking bodies in these individual locations. Its just some states/communities chose not to make inspections mandatory before buying license tags for the car.

So engineers and automotive techs say that operating a vehicle outside of factory specs is safe??????
Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
What
Banned

Quote:
Why don't cars go as fast as thier speedometers indicate?
Manufacturers include ambitious speedometers in their cars because it looks better than the truth. I remember I had an Eclipse that "went to 160"...everyone who got in my car...especially kids...was like "cool, your car does 160!"

Without modifications, your car won't "max-out" its speedometer. There isn't a special chip stopping your friend from going 140 mph.

And your friend (who later became you) doesn't need to put premium gas into his/your car. I don't believe your Hyundai has enough engine compression to warrant an octane higher than regular.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

1. Simply disregard this monkey. He's been told previously that running too high octane does nothing to improve his fuel economy or performance in this thread. Oh, I forgot. It must be because it came from the bottom of the tank. Anything you try to tell him will be a waste of your time.

2. This has nothing directly to do with this thread, but when I saw "Hyundai" and "140 mph" in the same thread I remembered it. Happy reading.

3. Almost forgot. This person claims to be an "elementary school counselor", whatever that may be. I guess elementary schools need to be counseled these days. It scares me to think people of this caliber are in a position of authority over our kids.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
I have this "friend" whose speedometer gooes up to 140, but in 5th gear he can't go over 4000 rpms, and 95 mph. Is there something in the engine that prevents this? Can it be adjusted, legally?

Let me know so I can tell my "friend". I myself always do the speed limit.

yes the primary limitation is engine power. Why be doing 95 mph in the first place?

Quote:
The gas pedal is more sensitive--that is what I notice.

You all can say what you want, but at the end of the day, I get to drive my fuel efficient car with its fuel efficient gasoline--knowing that 93 octane cost me less per mile than 87 octane

If you have a knock sensor fitted to your engine, you will probably make gains with higher octane fuel during acceleration. During acceleration there is a greater chance of incipient knock, which will cause poor flame and consequently the ECU to back the spark timing off, both of which will lower the engine power, encourage you to put the pedal down more, etc.

Last edited by Wally : 05-09-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote