Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
triple7allstar
CF Newbie

Your opinion on Jaguar?

Hi all,

What's your opinion on Jaguar since Ford bought them out? Bettter / worse off - quality-wise?

Just curious. I love the line, but was just curious if their quality would suffer.

Thoughts
triple7allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

as long as you stick with an xj or xk, uore in good hands. they are still jags. xtype and s type... glorified fords. xtype is a taurus, amd the stype iswhat ever is larger... i dunno. all i do know is
XJR Portfolio = gorgeous. mmmm, $100K+ jag

and
the XKR

good stff
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
Baldie
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple7allstar
Hi all,

What's your opinion on Jaguar since Ford bought them out? Bettter / worse off - quality-wise?

Just curious. I love the line, but was just curious if their quality would suffer.

Thoughts

Well I love the line but I think Ford made them disappear. There was just no marketing strategy for jag that I saw. Land Rover got more marketing than jag did. If Jag does sell to another buyer I hope their marketing department does a better job. I'm sorta new to the jag scene and just purchased an x-type. The x-type gets alot of bad raps because of the built quality but I've had no issues and have had the car for 3 years. I have more fun driving this than the 3 series I traded-in. Jag is underrated and used to be discussed in the same coversation as bmw's and mercedez's cars but not much anymore. I personally love the brand because they have a "WoW" factor that other brands don't have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_jag2-1.jpg (4.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Baldie : 07-06-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Baldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

my favorite part about the xtype, is that its the only jag that comes optional with the 5 speed. and they did come out with the xtype sport, which did have the custom grilles and sports body kit.

the thing about jag, that a lot of people dont understand. theyre not your everyday car, theyre not really big on public advertizing, most people arent going to read a magazine, and say "hmmm, thats a nice car, il consider buying one of those soon". the "real Jags" the "Jag-u-ar" if you will (as ive learned how you are supposed to say it from all the richy people) are compared like a bentley (not bentley status by any means, but to the same affect). no point in mass advertisement, when only a selct few can actually afford one. if you notice, where you will mostly see jag ads are in golf magazines, yaughting magazines, car and driver (compared to the other expensive lux-cars) and etc...

Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Baldie
CF Newbie

Your right on the mark. Jaguar is considered a "high-class" brand that richy people can only afford. That is probably why it has that "wow" factor. I get the question all the time, "How can you afford a jag, you must got money." Most people don't realize how low the resale value is for an x-type and s-type. When your in your 20's, a jag seems out of the question. The x-type and s-type were introduced by jag to cater to the younger generation, from what I read. The problem is the younger generation don't really read golf magazines and yachting magazines. I admit though that its nice to be driving a car that you hardly see much of, especially with the younger crowd. I just love my "bentley".

The x-type and S-type sport model do look sweet. At the time I wasn't able to find an x-type sport model but I since upgraded a few parts. I do regret not getting the manual as there was one available but chose to go with automatic.
Baldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

the xtype clutch is feels like no other clutch ive driven. if you ever get a chance, like if you see one at a dealersihp, drive one. its really soft, then just at the end it gets hard... but yeah, i beleive the attempt to catch the view of the young peopl is all ford idea... i dont think jag themselves would have done that

Old 07-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
triple7allstar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie
Jag is underrated and used to be discussed in the same coversation as bmw's and mercedez's cars but not much anymore. I personally love the brand because they have a "WoW" factor that other brands don't have.

I guess I'm just curious then if the reason they have stopped being considered in the same breath as BMW and Merc is that they ARE losing some quality that they maybe once had?

Sounds like you haven't had any trouble with your X Type though. How many miles does it have on it?
triple7allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I've never liked Jaguar, but sinse being owned by Ford things have only got worse from what I see. The X-type is just a glorified Mondeo, it even has the switch-gear from Ford, too!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I actually like all the jags, well the looks of them. Ive actually only driven an XKR, i think thats what it was, 390hp S/C V8, and after that I almost bought one until I found out, to my surprie, there is next to no aftermarket for them.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
I actually like all the jags, well the looks of them. Ive actually only driven an XKR, i think thats what it was, 390hp S/C V8, and after that I almost bought one until I found out, to my surprie, there is next to no aftermarket for them.
I would imagine that has something to do with the kind of people who normally by them.....Lets just say that tuning isn't really on thei list of priorities, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote