Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
wildestkabs
CF Newbie

1995 Nissan Altima Stalls - Tacho needle abruptly drops to zero

Hello everyone,

Greetings to you all!. I am new to this forum which comes across as a great resource, so I thought I'd post my problem here.

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima, which has had its check engine light on for a while now. A few days back, the engine started to stall on the freeway. The vehicle was driving just fine, when the RPM needle just dropped to zero abruptly (so it was not slow or gradual), and then I was not able to start the vehicle again. It happens almost daily, but what I have noticed is that it happens generally when I drive the vehicle for longer distances. It does happen when I drive it for shorter distances, but I am generally able to start the vehicle back on. On longer distances, if it shuts off, then it wont start again, till it has been a few hours. So obviously, I face no issues starting this thing in the morning, since it has been many hours, since it was last running.

In any event, once it stops, if I am lucky, I can crank it back relatively quickly, otherwise it will not crank for a long time.

So I am thinking that the vehicle really heats up when driving for more than 20 minutes causing it to stall, which might not be the case if I am driving it for a shorter period of time.

Also, the issue happens a little less when I am driving between 45 - 50 mph, vs when I am driving, lets say 60 - 65 mph.

One last thing - when I get home from work after having driven the vehicle for 15 miles, I turn it off and turn it back on immediately and it starts just fine. However, if I wait for 15 minutes or so and then try to turn it back on, it will turn over, but not start. But then in the morning, it will start just fine.

Anybody has any idea what this might be?

PS - By the way, when the engine stalls, the horn, lights, ac etc, work just fine.
wildestkabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
ateymura
CF Newbie

this really sounds like an electrical problem. I would first check.

1. alternator belt, wear and tension
2. battery
3. alternator itself
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
wildestkabs
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
this really sounds like an electrical problem. I would first check.

1. alternator belt, wear and tension
2. battery
3. alternator itself

I was thinking about the alternator, but then the electricals seem to work fine. However, I have to admit that I am a little uncomfortable with driving this vehicle with the lights on. But barring just once, when the lights started to dim and the vehicle turned off, I haven't had that scenario (lights dimming before vehicle turns off again). Isn't that what typically happens when it is an alternator issue?

I did some search on this forum. The one thing which came quite close was a defective crankshaft position sensor. Could this be the issue?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
ateymura
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildestkabs
I was thinking about the alternator, but then the electricals seem to work fine. However, I have to admit that I am a little uncomfortable with driving this vehicle with the lights on. But barring just once, when the lights started to dim and the vehicle turned off, I haven't had that scenario (lights dimming before vehicle turns off again). Isn't that what typically happens when it is an alternator issue?

I did some search on this forum. The one thing which came quite close was a defective crankshaft position sensor. Could this be the issue?

from what you are telling... to me it sounds like your battery doesn't get charged enough because your alternator belt seems to be slipping on high speeds. I doubt it has anything to do with crank shaft position sensor... I always tend to go with simpler explanation.. but that's just me... I again would suggest you check your battery, alternator, alternator belt tension/wear. it should cost you nothing to do all that at auto-zone or advanced autoparts
Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
wildestkabs
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
from what you are telling... to me it sounds like your battery doesn't get charged enough because your alternator belt seems to be slipping on high speeds. I doubt it has anything to do with crank shaft position sensor... I always tend to go with simpler explanation.. but that's just me... I again would suggest you check your battery, alternator, alternator belt tension/wear. it should cost you nothing to do all that at auto-zone or advanced autoparts

Thanks ateymura. I do have a question for you, though. Is there a connection between the alternator and the check engine light?

Last edited by wildestkabs : 08-09-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
ateymura
CF Newbie

if you have your check engine light on you definitely need to get your car to autozone and have them read the error codes. my guess it will come back as some malfunction with injectors.. but thats just a pure guess