Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Lowering my integra.

I'm probably going to lower my car, but I've never really done any performance mods, and I was wondering if you performance nuts could help me out.

The car is a 1990 (second generation) Acura Integra. I'm really just looking for a slight improvement in handling and a better look, nothing too fancy. I was looking at Eibach's Pro-Kit Springs and it seems like they would do the job. They run around $250-$300. I don't really want to change the shocks or get a camber kit or anything like that. So let me know what you think, or if I should be doing anything else.

And I'll be doing the work myself.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Well to tell you the truth you should usually change springs and shocks at the same time, if you go to a harder spring or from progressive to non progressive, you usually need to change the shocks to, so your shock dampen the spring properly.

On the other hand alot of people dont do it and seem to be okay, so I doubt its that huge of a deal, you just wont get the full potential of the spring and your ride may suffer.

Ive heard of some issues with eibach.
ProKit for F-bodys sag and the sportlines are so low and soft, people just destroy bumpstops.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I'm probably going to lower my car, but I've never really done any performance mods, and I was wondering if you performance nuts could help me out.

The car is a 1990 (second generation) Acura Integra. I'm really just looking for a slight improvement in handling and a better look, nothing too fancy. I was looking at Eibach's Pro-Kit Springs and it seems like they would do the job. They run around $250-$300. I don't really want to change the shocks or get a camber kit or anything like that. So let me know what you think, or if I should be doing anything else.

And I'll be doing the work myself.
Progress springs are 200 i believe, and great stuff. Change your shocks too cause stockers will blow rather quickly unless they are stil newish. Also no camber kit will eat up your tires...i say do it right or not at all, itl cost u more in the longrun if you halfass it
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

I would look into a coilover kit that uses hypercoils or some other common spring. That way you can:

1. Change rates easily and affordably
2. Adjust the height of the car the way you like it so it comes out just right

I would stay away from progressive springs, mainly because they aren't very high performance at all. I don't like the dive and lean they allow.

Do not lower the car to the point that your LCA's are pointing up, that will hurt handling. Ideally you want to maintain the stock angle or possibly obtain a harsher angle. To do this you will most likely need "bump steer spacers", the equivalent piece for your vehicle... if it exists, or redrill mounting points.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 10-16-2007 at 05:31 AM.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
I would look into a coilover kit that uses hypercoils or some other common spring. That way you can:

1. Change rates easily and affordably
2. Adjust the height of the car the way you like it so it comes out just right

I would stay away from progressive springs, mainly because they aren't very high performance at all. I don't like the dive and lean they allow.

Do not lower the car to the point that your LCA's are pointing up, that will hurt handling. Ideally you want to maintain the stock angle or possibly obtain a harsher angle. To do this you will most likely need "bump steer spacers", the equivalent piece for your vehicle... if it exists, or redrill mounting points.

The kit I referred to wouldn't lower it enough to make the LCA's point up, its only like a 1-1.5" drop I believe, thats all I want. Like I said I'm not looking to spend a ton of money to make the thing handle like its on rails, just just want to drop it a bit...
Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
The kit I referred to wouldn't lower it enough to make the LCA's point up, its only like a 1-1.5" drop I believe, thats all I want. Like I said I'm not looking to spend a ton of money to make the thing handle like its on rails, just just want to drop it a bit...
Well look at it this way...if cheap out and do it with just springs the ride is gona be bad, and parts will start to break, so you can really get the same effect by cutting your springs itl cost you nothing at all. I know Tein makes springs for OEM struts but i wouldnt be so optimistic I mean its not a new car, and im guessing the stock suspension has some miles on it, so it wont work the same
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Honestly you need to choose if you want to just lower it or if you want to make it handle better.

If you want to just lower it, you might as well cut the springs. (it is possible it will handle better depending on how much you cut, but it is also possible it will handle considerably worse)

If you want it to handle better, get the coil overs.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote