Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
altesk
CF Newbie

Question Buying cheap knowing you'll have to rebuild?

I'm considering buying a nine year old car for sale that has very high mileage. It runs fine and everything looks pretty good cosmetically. However, I assume that I'll need to rebuild or replace the engine and transmission before too long.

Suppose I buy this car cheap, and later replace those drivetrain components when they break. I then have a car that is sort of "good as new" mechanically.

Are there any problems with this car buying strategy? Does it make economic sense?

In case you are curious about the car's details:

1999 Honda Civic
230,000 miles on the odometer (the owner claims this resulted partly from highway driving during a long commute)
Automatic transmission
AM/FM/CD
New Tires (80K warranty), New Battery, New Radiator, New Belts, New Air Conditioner compressor Unit, new fluids.
Original owner is selling it.
Alternator, water pump, CV joints and boots have never needed replacing.
Timing belt was replaced only once, at 175,000 miles (seller claims this is not far from the factory recommended interval for timing belt replacement).

Current asking price is $4050. The seller claims to have received offers of about $3500, but is holding out for a little more.
altesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by altesk
I'm considering buying a nine year old car for sale that has very high mileage. It runs fine and everything looks pretty good cosmetically. However, I assume that I'll need to rebuild or replace the engine and transmission before too long.

Suppose I buy this car cheap, and later replace those drivetrain components when they break. I then have a car that is sort of "good as new" mechanically.

Are there any problems with this car buying strategy? Does it make economic sense?

1999 Honda Civic
230,000 miles on the odometer (the owner claims this resulted partly from highway driving during a long commute)
Automatic transmission
AM/FM/CD
New Tires (80K warranty), New Battery, New Radiator, New Belts, New Air Conditioner compressor Unit, new fluids.
Timing belt was replaced only once, at 175,000 miles (seller claims this is not far from the factory recommended interval for timing belt replacement).

Current asking price is $4050. The seller claims to have received offers of about $3500, but is holding out for a little more.

the is way too high...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by altesk

1999 Honda Civic
Automatic transmission
AM/FM/CD

Firstly, the chances of these things breaking on a Honda at this mileage are no worry. Sure it might happen, and this depends on how the car was driven/maintained, but generally I have seen Hondas go much longer than 230k miles with original engines/trannies.

By the way, the seller is full of shit. Honda recomends replacing the timing belt every 90k miles if I remember correctly from my mom's 97HX from years ago.
The water pump should have been replaced at the time of the timing belt (every smart person does this, your seller is an exception to the general population)

Do not buy this car. The seller has no clue what he is talking about, and from what he is saying, this car wasnt taken care of properly, and he is trying to BS you because you dont know better. Aside from that, the asking price is extremely high for this kind of car. You can something much better for the same money, even less.

By the way, do you know what this guy does?? 230k miles, 8 years, thats a shitload of driving. Almost ~25k miles per year. My advice, stay away. The car is overpriced, and the seller seems shady.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Do not buy this car. The seller has no clue what he is talking about.
hope you don't try to sell a car any time soon ..... or if you do, i hope that the potential buyer doesn't come to a forum looking for advice.... they might get the same as above