Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
knabster
CF Newbie

Mass Air Flow Sensor Reviews

Has anyone installed or know somenone who has installed and tried a Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor on a 2004 Grand Prix 3.8L supercharged with a K&N cold air induction and 3 in exhaust?

I definitely felt the K&N mod as it made the throttle response more linear, and not so jumpy when the supercharger kicks in. Fuel economy went up about 7% as well!

I would like to know if adding a Granatelli MAF will also step up the performance and improve fuel economy? Do you think its worth the $300 or so spent? I drive 70 miles round trip to work.

Last edited by knabster : 11-16-2007 at 04:59 PM.
knabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabster
Has anyone installed or know somenone who has installed and tried a Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor. I would like to know if there worth the bucks spent.
on what car....this is a really general question, as it may help on some cars, and may not help on some cars
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Like NYer said, it depends on your car. If it's your first mod to a stock car, there are probably more cost-effective ways to gain performance. If you are really modding a car, eventually the stock MAF may have to go, and I've never heard a quality complaint about Granatelli (sp?). Keep in mind that an aftermarket MAF will probably give you a 0-10hp... not enough to feel.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Depends on application. The MAF is a supporting modification that is meant to be tuned to the ECU/Injector set up. Bolting on a larger one will most likely throw off the AFR for a while until your computer compensates for you provided the O2 sensors aren't hurtin.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Like NYer said, it depends on your car. If it's your first mod to a stock car, there are probably more cost-effective ways to gain performance. If you are really modding a car, eventually the stock MAF may have to go, and I've never heard a quality complaint about Granatelli (sp?). Keep in mind that an aftermarket MAF will probably give you a 0-10hp... not enough to feel.
Lol, once again depending on what car. I definately felt my intake in the higher RPM, and that was only 5 horsepower...MAYBE
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Lol, once again depending on what car. I definately felt my intake in the higher RPM, and that was only 5 horsepower...MAYBE
You may feel better throttle response, or some other increase in performance, but even in a lower hp car I highly doubt your ass is sensitive enough feel 5hp. Think of it this way, a loss of 5hp is probably equivalent to having a person sitting in the car (extra weight). Can you really feel the difference in acceleration?

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
knabster
CF Newbie

Actually, K&N claims a 15 HP gain. And yes, you can feel it on a 3.8L V6, 260+ HP supercharged engine. Its definitely breathing easier. Maybe the K&N cold air induction enhanced the 3" exhaust I installed.

Incidentally, I ordered the Granatelli MAF for $249 from JD's performance. The price was right, so stay tuned for the results.

Last edited by knabster : 11-22-2007 at 12:05 AM.
knabster is offline   Reply With Quote