Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
GGtc4
CF Newbie
 
GGtc4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16
Hard Choice

hey people... im new to this website but not to car forums in general. i found this web site because i wanted an unbias answer to the three cars im thinking of getting next. i currently drive an 06 scion tc. its nice but in the spring i want to upgrade... heres the tricky part being a big car lover we all know that well always wonder about another car and how it would be in that... but ive narrowed it down to three i like all three equally and i know all the ups downs prices and specs on them but its to hard to choose

1 06 Pontiac Gto
2 05 Subaru Sti
3 05 BMW m3

any input from car owners or anyone just looking at them driving down the road would help thanks
GGtc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Heres my opinion on the 3. I have driven a 2nd gen M3. Never a GTO. I have driven a WRX, not an STI.

GTO-

Good:
Very powerful
Lots of potential
Nice car all around

Bad:
A bit heavy
Exterior is a bit basic

WRX STI-

Good:
Pretty quick
AWD (if your in snowy area)

Bad:
Cheap interior
Very young following
AWD (if you drive on highways like 99% of us, gas $$$)

BMW M3-

Good:
Always elegant
Most recent gen is very fast, 2nd gen not so much
Mature

Bad:
Possible expensive repairs?
Not very much potential compared to the GTO in particular


Thats what I think of them. The M3 is a real keeper, something you will be happy to have in 10 years. The GTO has huge performance potential, albeit a bit heavy and basic exterior wise. The STI is pretty quick, but it has a childish body to it.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
I say the m3, if you can afford to buy one, you can afford to maintain it.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Heres my opinion on the 3. I have driven a 2nd gen M3. Never a GTO. I have driven a WRX, not an STI.

GTO-

Good:
Very powerful
Lots of potential
Nice car all around

Bad:
A bit heavy
Exterior is a bit basic

WRX STI-

Good:
Pretty quick
AWD (if your in snowy area)

Bad:
Cheap interior
Very young following
AWD (if you drive on highways like 99% of us, gas $$$)

BMW M3-

Good:
Always elegant
Most recent gen is very fast, 2nd gen not so much
Mature

Bad:
Possible expensive repairs?
Not very much potential compared to the GTO in particular


Thats what I think of them. The M3 is a real keeper, something you will be happy to have in 10 years. The GTO has huge performance potential, albeit a bit heavy and basic exterior wise. The STI is pretty quick, but it has a childish body to it.
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one

OP if you can afford a new M3, you can afford a newer than 05 STi, and that would be my choice...great car all around and if you will fall in love with the chassis and AWD when you drive it. GL, get the STi
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one

OP if you can afford a new M3, you can afford a newer than 05 STi, and that would be my choice...great car all around and if you will fall in love with the chassis and AWD when you drive it. GL, get the STi

even if you have driven these cars yourself, you've never left the parking lot with them, so what would make your opinion valid?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
even if you have driven these cars yourself, you've never left the parking lot with them, so what would make your opinion valid?
Actually a guy I work with has an STi that I drove, and I drove my friend's dad's m3...i havent driven the GTO nor do I really want to...do you have anything to add or you just wana talk blind shit?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
do you have anything to add or do you just wanna talk blind shit?

fixed

don't worry, junior... i'm not trying to steal your "talking blind shit" crown here...

if you're done hurling contradictory statements for a second, what about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Actually a guy I work with has an STi that I drove, and I drove my friend's dad's m3...i havent driven the GTO nor do I really want to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
OP if you can afford a new M3, you can afford a newer than 05 STi, and that would be my choice...great car all around and if you will fall in love with the chassis and AWD when you drive it. GL, get the STi

so where do you get off recommending one car of three when you've only driven 2 of them under limited conditions and your closed ricer mind won't let you even attempt to like the third?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #8
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one

Assume what? I have driven an M3, I have driven a WRX (and countless other subarus actually), and I am pretty damn sure I don't really need to speak on the performance of the GTO. There are hard numbers out on it. My comments were mainly about looks, following, and potential. My comments imho were pretty spot on. Obviously the GTO has a shit load more potential than the M3. The M3 alternatively is more mature and luxurious with considerably nicer lines. The STI is very quick as well but it is a bit of a hot wheels look which is probably why I have never met anyone over 30 who owns one.

Nobody likes you because your an abrasive uninformed asshole. I think it would do you alot of good to be a bit less dense and stop blindly hating. When it comes down to it the poster just wants a substancial solid answer, not some fanboyism BS. Your logic is flawed. You say I can't assume such things but you yourself have claimed complete bias against the GTO. It is pretty hard to make an educated decision if you are unwilling to view all the options. The OP asked for opinions even from those who haven't driven the cars. So back off dude. Your just going to type "blah blah japanese blah blah vtec blah blah hp/liter" in every thread you post in anyway though so I don't expect an inteligent response.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 11-26-2007 at 04:24 AM.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGtc4
1 06 Pontiac Gto
2 05 Subaru Sti
3 05 BMW m3

Everything depends on what you want, really. If you are very power hungry, I'd grab the GTO. If you have a family and/or looking for a 4-door vehicle and/or some backseat space, the Sti is a nice bet. The Sti is also the car for someone with tough winters. Finally, if you're looking for a sporty luxury, the M3 is the definite bet.

That being said, if you are not buying this for a family, don't live far North, and can maintain M3 repairs, I'd choose that one in a heartbeat. BMW is BMW.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.