Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Ferrari SUV?!?

Apparently Ferrari are set to copy Porsche. Looks very similar, too! Yep, they plan on making an SUV. I have copy/pasted the following article from my usual source...

Clicky! for picy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Express
Your eyes are not deceiving you Ė this SUV has a prancing horse on the bonnet. In a move set to cause a stir across the world, Ferrari is considering putting its famous name to a rival for the Porsche Cayenne.

Called project F151, the prospect of a Ferrari SUV will cause uproar with car enthusiasts across the globe. However, the firmís bosses have watched the success of Porscheís 4x4 with interest, and want to increase profits.

With a practical interior, estate car luggage capacity and rough-road ability, the model would open the Ferrari range up to a huge new customer base. Still in its early stages, the project is yet to be given the green light by bosses nervous of tarnishing Ferrariís legendary brand image. Our shots shows what the classy off-roader could look like in showroom-ready trim. At around five metres long and two metres wide, the jacked-up Ferrari would offer luxurious transport for five passengers to travel in style.

While designers face the challenge of making the Ferrari beautiful, engineers have to make it live up to the firmís dynamic reputation. Powerplants are yet to be finalised, but itís thought that the Ferrari will be offered with a choice of V8 and V12 engines from the firmís existing stable.

The four-wheel-drive transmission will be a more difficult challenge. With no system of its own available, Ferrari is expected to develop existing technology borrowed from another car maker, with Mercedes the hot favourite.

A cheaper alternative would be to use Ferrariís own rear-drive 612 Scaglietti platform. Coupled to a hi-tech traction control system, the running gear could be set up to cope with off-road conditions, but itís most likely the maker would focus on class-leading handling.

While an SUV from sister firm Maserati was planned, bosses have shelved that idea in favour of a Ferrari 4x4 with a higher price tag. Buyers will be asked to pay well in excess of £100,000. If the F151 gets the go-ahead, the Ferrari will be revealed in concept form in 2010 before going on sale a year later.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'm not going to believe that until Ferrari says something about it.

It looks way too similar to the Cayenne, so I'm doubtful.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'm not going to believe that until Ferrari says something about it.

It looks way too similar to the Cayenne, so I'm doubtful.
Stranger things have happened....Or have they? I have a sneaky feeling that if it is produced, there will be alot of part swapping going on! I'm not so sure about the AWD system though....I think Porsche would be a safer bet than Mercedes

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD

I smell BS! Anybody can see that's nothing but a photoshopped 599 GTB Fiorano.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I smell BS! Anybody can see that's nothing but a photoshopped 599 GTB Fiorano.
It's not an official picture, and nobody said it was a photo....It's just what they predict it would look like if produced. I guess info is gained from insiders etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD

Ferrari will never make an SUV! Blasphemy!