Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
What Car to Buy

Some members make these threads pretty often, but let's say this is the only one I'm making.

I'm looking for a (first) car to buy, which I'm gonna need for university. Basically, here's my criteria:

-I'm gonna drive at least 30 mins in each direction, so fuel economy should be decent--but quality/reliability is more important
-Comfort isn't too important, but it should still be ok for longer trips
-It has to seat 5 (maybe 4 if it's a good car), can be 2 or 4 door--also, I'm about 6 foot, so headroom is good
-I plan on keeping it for a while, so it shouldn't have too many miles (I'm thinking no more than 100,000 miles)
-Can't really decide between AWD/FWD/RWD--if anyone wants to help me out with that
-I can't spend more than $8,000--maybe $10,000 if it'll get me a lot of girls
-convertibles are nice, but only if it fits the other stuff

Some cars off the top of my head are:
2000-2002 Lincoln LS
Mid-late 90's Chevrolet Camaro (V6) (T-Tops anyone?)
Late 90's/Early 2000's Toyota Celica
2000's Acura Integra
Mid 90's Nissan 240SX/300ZX
Mid-late 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse
Earlier model Acura RSX

Something along those lines.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
I'd steer clear of V6 F-bodies. The V8s aren't that much more (plenty of LS1s for under 10K, LT1s for under 5) and gas MPG is barely any better. Insurance will sting though. If you don't want to pay to play (V8), don't bother with the 6 banger. The engine is really the only strong point in these cars IMHO, stick it with the 6 cylinder it's slow, bad in the snow, still pricey for gas/insurance, and theres no V8 to drown out the squeeks and rattles. I guess it would be a good car for kids who want some flash but can't handle a V8 yet...but still.

The Integras and Celicas are zippy cars, look good, and have no major mechanical problems that I know of. Another thing to think of is ROAD TRIPS! Sorry, theres just a certain way of saying it in my head that's best expressed in caps. Anyways, either find a friend with something that has lots of room, or be that guy pimpin the Aerostar. I say get a van and a bike. Cargo when you need it, awesome MPG when you don't. If the majority of your driving is without a passenger and just a book bag, a bike should be a thought.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
I dont know how much an Acura 1.7EL is in canada, but its basically my car with a much more agressive look and more luxury crap in it..I actually saw one in the US with Quebec plates on it, looked so damn mean!



newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
For 10k you could get a Porsche 944 (maybe even a turbo model), as far as the girls go.

For more practical purposes, check out mid 90s BMW 3 series.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
For 10k you could get a Porsche 944 (maybe even a turbo model), as far as the girls go.

For more practical purposes, check out mid 90s BMW 3 series.

I've heard to stay away from Bimmers unless you just really want one and can do all your own work. BMW owners themselves that I know IRL have told me this, not just random Internet people.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I've heard to stay away from Bimmers unless you just really want one and can do all your own work. BMW owners themselves that I know IRL have told me this, not just random Internet people.

Owners...enthusiasts...huge difference in care of their cars whatever they may be.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum
 
Ki2AY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco CA.
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Some members make these threads pretty often, but let's say this is the only one I'm making.

I'm looking for a (first) car to buy, which I'm gonna need for university. Basically, here's my criteria:

-I'm gonna drive at least 30 mins in each direction, so fuel economy should be decent--but quality/reliability is more important
-Comfort isn't too important, but it should still be ok for longer trips
-It has to seat 5 (maybe 4 if it's a good car), can be 2 or 4 door--also, I'm about 6 foot, so headroom is good
-I plan on keeping it for a while, so it shouldn't have too many miles (I'm thinking no more than 100,000 miles)
-Can't really decide between AWD/FWD/RWD--if anyone wants to help me out with that
-I can't spend more than $8,000--maybe $10,000 if it'll get me a lot of girls
-convertibles are nice, but only if it fits the other stuff

Some cars off the top of my head are:
2000-2002 Lincoln LS
Mid-late 90's Chevrolet Camaro (V6) (T-Tops anyone?)
Late 90's/Early 2000's Toyota Celica
2000's Acura Integra
Mid 90's Nissan 240SX/300ZX
Mid-late 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse
Earlier model Acura RSX

Something along those lines.

I own an RSX-s and i am 5'10. 2 inches shorter than you i suppose. and i have no problems with head room or leg room. actually it is very comfortable with the semi bucket seats.

its a 4 seater but when in need it can seat 5. the rear passenger side has a plastic/rubber divider. i have people sit on it anyways, i wouldnt recomend any1 sittin on it if you are planning to drive for more than 30 minutes.

the tank fits about 13 gallons, and since v-tec hits at 5.5rpms, i stay below that and get 320 miles a tank. and that is driving 20 city miles to the train station each weekday and driving about 150 miles on average on the highway each weekend.

theres people in clubrsx.com selling cars all the time.

another good choice that you didnt mention is a 02-06 civic si hatch back. my cousin has one and it actually has more leg room and head room for both driver and passenger. actually you would be pretty surprise how much room this little car has.
the only negative thing i can say about it is, it lacks cargo room.

my pick would be an RSX. and then an integra. although the integras are uncomfortable, its still nice lookin car that is fun & reliable.
__________________

Last edited by Ki2AY : 05-30-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
thomasz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
I have the same ideas of chris_knows. But though, thanks for all the help.
thomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.