Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
Anohaakten
CF Newbie

Volkswagen Jetta Reliability?

Boy I haven't been on here in a while. Anywho, I am looking at getting a new car. I have been looking at Toyota's and Honda's for a while considering that these cars run forever which is what i need (Fuel Economy and Longevity). I have been looking for a while now and it just seems like the resale value is so insanely high that I can't pick a nice one up for under $5,000. So this has geared me towards possibly purchasing a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta. Here is the ad of the car I am looking at purchasing, http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/765534001.html

I am hoping some of you long time VW owners or people that just know a lot about them can tell me if they will run till 300,000 miles or not considering this car has to last me till im out of college which is another 4-5 years and I drive a lot.

Hope some people respond with some info! Thanks guys!
Anohaakten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Love the cars, dont trust the build quality.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

You can't count on any car to last 300,000 miles.

In general I see VW in the middle of the reliability standings. Yes, Honda and Toyota are generally ranked high, but as you've seen their price kind of defeats the purpose of getting a car that rarely needs service.

You won't find any magic car that lasts a billion miles and is cheap to buy used. People buy used to save money, which means they're doing their research, which means cars that tend to last a long time will be easily spotted as the price for a used model will be high because of all the people who want a reliable used car. Basically what I'm saying is that you can get a 2000 Chevy or a 1995 Honda for the same price, and they will probably both overall last the same amount of time. Find a car you like, maybe call up a VW repair shop and ask them about the model in general.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

My oldest daughter has a 2002 Jetta - It is as good as most anything elst out there on the market. Parts are not cheap.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote