Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

350z

Hey. How difficult would it be to put a turbo in a '04 350Z?
jWESTFOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

This is the second thread you've made about doing an aftermarket turbo on a car.....why....do you think boosted engines are somehow better than n/a or you just want the cool sound?

It may not be too hard but it wont be cheap.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

I'm just throwing ideas around, seeing what possibilities there are. Turbo just seems to provide easy power for some like me who does not have the knowledge needed to simply tune a car to peak performance. I'm learning, but I'm not on that level yet, and was just wondering. If it pisses you off, just dont post.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWESTFOO
I'm just throwing ideas around, seeing what possibilities there are. Turbo just seems to provide easy power for some like me who does not have the knowledge needed to simply tune a car to peak performance. I'm learning, but I'm not on that level yet, and was just wondering. If it pisses you off, just dont post.

Haha. Y'know to put a turbo into something which didn't originally have one will require definate tuning. You may get a little more power by just throwing a turbo on it, but to get the full potential out of your add-on will require a change in timing and air/fuel mixture which your stock computer probrably wont be able to handle on it's own.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Yea, if you think turbo is "easy power" don't even go there, you will end up spending more money on a new motor in the end.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

As far as air/fuel ratio, couldnt you just get an upgraded ECU? I guess I really didnt think about the tuning of the turbo.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
As far as air/fuel ratio, couldnt you just get an upgraded ECU? I guess I really didnt think about the tuning of the turbo.
Tuning will depend on the turbo, fuel system, and pretty much everything else. I don't think you can even tune 2 identical setups on the same tune because every engine is a bit different, so you will need a standalone system and some tuning time if you want to do it properly. I don't know what systems are available for a 350Z, but even then to pay a tuner to program it for you is usually around 200-500 dollars in my area, and that depends on if you want a dyno tune, or a street tune, or how difficult the tune is, etc. Some tuners charge by the hour, others charge a flat rate, some tune and test on the road, others tune and test on the dyno....its not going to be cheap either way.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

Huh. Theres alot that I hadnt considered. I suppose its better for me to stick to the basics at this point. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Huh. Theres alot that I hadnt considered. I suppose its better for me to stick to the basics at this point. Thanks for the advice.
Think of it this way...a 350Z with an intake, good exhaust, and good headers will run close to low 13 second quarter miles if you know how to launch half-decently...low 13s is pretty quick IMO.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Think of it this way...a 350Z with an intake, good exhaust, and good headers will run close to low 13 second quarter miles if you know how to launch half-decently...low 13s is pretty quick IMO.
You wont see much at all from bolt ons on a 350Z. The stock stuff is actually pretty darn good.

This is the reason so many people go boosted on these cars. To make good power N/A you have to go deep into the motor, cams, and heads.

I think cosworth does some nice heads for these but they are pretty expensive, you could mkae more power boosted for cheaper most of the time.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
You wont see much at all from bolt ons on a 350Z. The stock stuff is actually pretty darn good.

This is the reason so many people go boosted on these cars. To make good power N/A you have to go deep into the motor, cams, and heads.

I think cosworth does some nice heads for these but they are pretty expensive, you could mkae more power boosted for cheaper most of the time.
Ehh, I duno..my buddy has a white 04? and said he felt a good difference with a short ram intake

Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Ehh, I duno..my buddy has a white 04? and said he felt a good difference with a short ram intake
Its called the placebo effect. he want it to work so he thinks it works.

he doesnt want to admit, that he paid for it and it didnt do shit.

All it probably did was make it louder.

Last I heard was about the only intake that gained hp for them (and a tiny tiny amount) was the popcharger (i think thats what it called). Im sure now there are a few that actually add hp but I seriously doubt any of them will add anymore than maybe 5.