Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
jedmann1989
CF Newbie

Cool Custom build car!

I'm building a custom car. First of all please don't tell me it's waste of money. It's my money. Don't tell me I should just buy a porsche with all the money I'd spend. I've heard way too much crap from people who think it's a waste of time.

Anyway here's the idea. Has anyone ever heard of the Fisker Karma. It's a plug in hybrid 4 door sports coupe designed by Aston Martin Engineer Henrik Fisker. Anyway I really liked the lines of the car and the overall appearance of it. I have always wanted to build a car from the ground up. I however want to build a 2 door version of the car. I put the photos into photoshop to get an idea of what the 2 door would look like. I really like what i came up with. Here is a picture of my design.

2-Door Fisker Karma

It's sort of an Aston Martin look. But I like the lines of the car alot better than any of the Aston Martins.

I have been researching different chassis's I could use as a base. Using one from a production car would be alot easier than having one custom built due to price and also getting it titled and registered. The c5 corvette looks like a good start. Plus with the LS1 motor it's got the performance you'd expect from a car that looks like this.

C5 Corvette Chassis

I can do alot of custom fabrication for the frame. That won't be a problem. I'll have to have the bodywork done by someone. I don't how to do fiberglass and I'm really not interested in learning. Carbon fiber might be good idea. It's more expensive but so much lighter and stronger.

I'm just looking for ideas. What chassis would you use? Do you know of any shops that you can just give them 3d computer models of the body parts you need and they can make them from that?
jedmann1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Uhm...what's the wheelbase of the Fisker Karma? I've never heard of it but it looks cool (Would look better with the front grille flipped upside down, since right now it looks like it's smiling...).

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
jedmann1989
CF Newbie

Fisker Karma Wheelbase

The wheelbase of the Fisker Karma is 114 in. But it is a 4-door.

Mine will be shorter cause I want a 2-door.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
jedmann1989
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Uhm...what's the wheelbase of the Fisker Karma? I've never heard of it but it looks cool (Would look better with the front grille flipped upside down, since right now it looks like it's smiling...).

There I took your suggestion with the grill. I like it. Looks good. Great idea.