Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
maddog
CF Newbie

S-10 2.2L coolant leak @ cyl head rear

My daily driver is a 1995 Chevy S-10 LS, with the 2.2L 4-cyl & 5-speed, 182k miles. After driving it enough to reach operating temp, I can smell coolant from the exterior of the truck. I think I have a slow leak at the rear of the cylinder head. I have been topping off the coolant at the rate of 1/2 gallon every 300 miles. I've tried to visually locate it with the aid of an inspection mirror, but the clearance between the head and firewall prevents me from getting the right angle. I've tried to see it from underneath, but the trans is in the way. From up top, I can see the trail from the coolant follow the bellhousing down to the exhaust pipe. Ideas?
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Blown Head gasket. Take it somewhere to get it fixed unless you know how to work on engines. there's a lot of important things you have to remember in order to do it yourself.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

A 95 S-10 with almost 200K on it is probably not worth bringing to a shop to have a headgasket replaced. You can buy gasket sealant at about any autoparts store for a few bucks. Not a permanent fix, but I did it once on my car and its been leak free for a few thousand miles.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
maddog
CF Newbie

Thanks to who have replied. I was leaning toward the freeze plug in the head (I've had them go bad in the block on other vehicles before). The head gasket would get replaced regardless. I've done a temporary fix with some stop-leak, it seems to have slowed the flow. Doing the work myself is no problem, I've torn 'em down and put 'em back together more than once. Just looking for a game-plan before tearing this one down.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Thanks to who have replied. I was leaning toward the freeze plug in the head (I've had them go bad in the block on other vehicles before). The head gasket would get replaced regardless. I've done a temporary fix with some stop-leak, it seems to have slowed the flow. Doing the work myself is no problem, I've torn 'em down and put 'em back together more than once. Just looking for a game-plan before tearing this one down.

Have fun. 2.2L S-10s are probably the only trucks I wouldn't lift the cab off the frame to do a head gasket. They're open enough to pretty much get at everything.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
maddog
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Have fun. 2.2L S-10s are probably the only trucks I wouldn't lift the cab off the frame to do a head gasket. They're open enough to pretty much get at everything.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can schedule some down-time for the S-10. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Moxymech1
CF Newbie

Maddog, what did you find out?

I am having the same problem, but i noticed that when i am not using the heat or def it doesn't leak a much. I am wondering if it is the heater hoses at the engine?

Was it the head gasket?

moxy
Moxymech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Moxymech1
CF Newbie

TTT

Still having problems i have searched high and low for the source and i can't seam to find it, only leaks when heat or defrost is on
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
maddog
CF Newbie

Moxymech,

The problem with my S-10 is a bad head gasket. I haven't replaced it as of yet (I drive it daily), I stopped the flow with a second round of stop-leak. As for your leak, I am puzzled by the fact that it only leaks when the heater or defrost is operated. What year is your truck? On my '95,coolant always flows through the heater core when the engine is running. The mode of the Heat/Air Controller should not determine when the leak occurs.

Maddog
Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Moxymech1
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Moxymech,

The problem with my S-10 is a bad head gasket. I haven't replaced it as of yet (I drive it daily), I stopped the flow with a second round of stop-leak. As for your leak, I am puzzled by the fact that it only leaks when the heater or defrost is operated. What year is your truck? On my '95,coolant always flows through the heater core when the engine is running. The mode of the Heat/Air Controller should not determine when the leak occurs.

Maddog

I also drive mine daily and keep the fuilds up, keep an eye on the temp gauge, and avoid long trips. Mine is a 4cyl 1995 S10 with manual transmission, I have around 167,000 miles.

I am not 100% on mine leaking only when the heater is on, i noticed it was leaking more this winter, now that the weather is more on the mild side it seems to be leaking less.

I have not tried stop leak or any additives to avoid plugging up the heater core.

I was thinking about having a leak check done on it, but have not done so yet.

The neighborhood garage did a 15psi test on the cooling system with no loss in presure, not sure if it could be different when HOT?

Moxy
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
maddog
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxymech1
I also drive mine daily and keep the fuilds up, keep an eye on the temp gauge, and avoid long trips. Mine is a 4cyl 1995 S10 with manual transmission, I have around 167,000 miles.

I am not 100% on mine leaking only when the heater is on, i noticed it was leaking more this winter, now that the weather is more on the mild side it seems to be leaking less.

I have not tried stop leak or any additives to avoid plugging up the heater core.

I was thinking about having a leak check done on it, but have not done so yet.

The neighborhood garage did a 15psi test on the cooling system with no loss in presure, not sure if it could be different when HOT?

Moxy

I'm willing to bet that you are smelling this leak rather than seeing it. If so, the pressure test will not show pressure loss, because the leak is really small. I have had the pressure test done a couple of times on mine. The first time they said there were no leakage, the second time I was told a couple of hose clamps were loose (I had just replaced all of the hoses). End result: Still Leaking! So, my cheapest last resort was to use stop-leak. When the leak finally stopped, I was able to find the source by following the dried trail of stop-leak: Head Gasket @ Rear of Cylinder Head. Have the leak test done to pin-point your leak.

Maddog