Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Military, You in?

Just so Zalight's thread doesn't go off topic anymore.

I'm lookin into the Army, for no real reason except for something to do, and because I've always wanted to serve my country.

So who else is in/lookin at the military?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Army for some kind of repairing of...something. Radar, satelites, or just something in meteorology if they have anything. I did talk to a recruiter however I never asked what options I had for a job. I took my ASVAB pre-test and scored an 83 which I thought was decent. Turns out that's like, top 10 percentile. Made me happy. I was below average in school, so. Cool thing is, I'm not too far from a base here, so I could (in theory) work for the army a few miles from my house and family. If I get stationed somewhere else, meh. No big deal.

Options are wide open in the military...the question is which of the vast numbers of jobs will be available when you complete or are in basic training?

My ASVAB score was 92. Apparently I was in a room full of bafoons because of the 30 or so guys in the room testing, only myself and one other guy scored above 70! I was floored.

The Army will put you there if they have an opening for your job there...otherwise, you're at the mercy of the Army needs. If it's similar to the AF and things haven't changed too much, you get a "wish list" for where you'll be stationed initially AND which jobs are available to train for at the time you're entering. On the job list, I got my last choice. On the places to go list, I got none of which I chose.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
99integra
CF's Florida boy

ASVAB was a breeze. I'm looking into the navy or coast guard right now because my asthma limits me from anywhere else. One of the main coast guard bases is in st. pete so i'd most likely get stationed in my area. Gotta wait for a clean drug test though. Time to get my life back in order.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
ASVAB was a breeze. I'm looking into the navy or coast guard right now because my asthma limits me from anywhere else. One of the main coast guard bases is in st. pete so i'd most likely get stationed in my area. Gotta wait for a clean drug test though. Time to get my life back in order.

It has always amazed me they consider coast gaurd military (I piss off one of my friends out here everytime we get on the subject of military or politics. Military to me is being able to blow shit up, and McCain > Obama IMO).

But anyways, I go in today to take the actual ASVAB test, and see what I can do and such.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

The military is always a good choice I served in the USMC as a combat engineer 90-93. Basically we built bunkers, bridges, etc..... and on the fun side we learned how to blow them all up too.

I had great fun got to see the world (well most of Europe) and got money for college. Which I used to get 2 college degrees.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
The military is always a good choice I served in the USMC as a combat engineer 90-93. Basically we built bunkers, bridges, etc..... and on the fun side we learned how to blow them all up too.

I had great fun got to see the world (well most of Europe) and got money for college. Which I used to get 2 college degrees.

Did you go to the gulf war?

Times are different now though...if you sign up, you're basically signing to go to Iraq.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Good luck with it, Satty!

I've certainly never given the Military much thought, but from friends etc who have served, it seems you're well looked after as far as career progression etc goes!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Wow good luck man you motivated me to go talk to the recruiter for the coast guard yesterday and im definately going to give it a whirl. I've made poor decisions in my short life but this one is going to be a good one I just know it.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Wow good luck man you motivated me to go talk to the recruiter for the coast guard yesterday and im definately going to give it a whirl. I've made poor decisions in my short life but this one is going to be a good one I just know it.
Good luck, Teggy!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote