Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
99integra
CF's Florida boy

My new project

Came from an older police interceptor. Has 150k miles on it and those are all the parts that I got with it. It was all free so I figured what the hell, once the 2.3 in Ranger dies out I can be done building this and swap it in.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I've cleaned up the block and I've noticed there are some small chips along the top of the piston sleeve, should I be worried about this?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

You don't have enough (good) parts there to make this a viable project. By the time you found and purchased everything you need to make it complete, you'll spend a fortune. You don't even have the main caps for the block.

You'd be better off financially to go to Pick-A-Part (or whatever) and pull a complete 351 for $150 and go from there. Maybe you could use something you have for spares.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Honestly I have no idea what the hell it is now because the water pump says GM...I'm just going to scrap this block and go junkyard jumpin.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Best I can tell it is a Pontiac engine. But I agree with Hobo.... by the time you have the machine work done, buy the missing parts, you will have $$$$. In almost every case when dealing with cars it is a better deal to buy something complete and working than spend time riggin' a basket case.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

No, it's definitely a Ford Windsor block. Look at the shape of the pan rails, the location of the freeze plugs and oil filter adapter and the position of the motor mount lugs. The heads, crank, balancer, timing cover and flex plate are also Windsor parts. I'd say it's '79 or newer because it appears to have the dipstick tube hole in the pan rail (look just above the lower left freeze plug in Teg's picture and compare it to the early block in the picture below).

The only way to know for sure if it's a 351 or a 302 would be to either check casting numbers, or the quick way for a late block is to measure the head bolt holes... 7/16" = 302, 1/2" = 351.

The water pump is from a 3.8 liter GM engine found in zillions of FWD cars and would be useful only to sell as scrap aluminum.

Merry Christmas.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote