Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Bubba
null

Pinpointing and stopping oil leaks?

My '60 Metropolitan has a few oil leaks that start dripping under the engine after I've been driving around for short while. Does anybody have a good method of finding and stopping them?
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

The first thing you must do is figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. You need to clean the engine off as good as you can, pressure wash if possible. Then keep a close eye on it until you see the leak. Remember that the oil will basically flow straight down, so follow the leak up as high as it is wet. This should be the spot. Most likely it will be a gasket that needs to be replace.

If all else fails take a few pictures like you did for the distributor..... I will check on removal tomorrow. Look almost identical to a MGB engine which is what we are installing in the Custom Morris we are building.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Bubba
null

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
The first thing you must do is figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. You need to clean the engine off as good as you can, pressure wash if possible. Then keep a close eye on it until you see the leak. Remember that the oil will basically flow straight down, so follow the leak up as high as it is wet. This should be the spot. Most likely it will be a gasket that needs to be replace.

If all else fails take a few pictures like you did for the distributor..... I will check on removal tomorrow. Look almost identical to a MGB engine which is what we are installing in the Custom Morris we are building.

Alright, thanks, I'll start by giving that engine a good scrub-down, it needs it.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote