Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
stevebob100

Car boggs in 3rd and 4th.

Hi im just starting to learn about cars and i have a problem. Im working on a 1982 mercury capri. This car has a 302 H.O. with a 4 speed manuel and a 2 barrel motorcraft carb. The car has been sitting in the weeds for a while. I cleaned out the fuel filter near the carb and i dont think there are anymore to clean out. The car boggs out and stallings in 3rd and 4th gears but it works fine in 1st and 2nd and it idles fine. I think it could be the power valve in the carb, but im not sure. Can anyone help me?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
Aten

cough cough upgrade cough cough

hack hack 4-barrel hack hack

hmm something called varnishing happens when gas vehicles with carburetors sit too long, if the car has been sitting a while(year or so) the gas leaves a coating(the additives in the gas gel up and coat the inside of the carb) and can affect the power. You should pour some Sta-bil, or whatever 4 cycle gas stabilizer you can find in your gas tank to try and clean it out like that. Or, you can take your carburetor off and soak it in a bucket of carb cleaner, just make sure to get all the cleaner out before you put it back on the engine.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
stevebob100

Well i cleaned the carb out, put a new filter on. Ripped the tank out and soaked that, the tank was really dirty. I also put a new section of fuel line in. It works much better now. :P thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
Aten

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebob100
Well i cleaned the carb out, put a new filter on. Ripped the tank out and soaked that, the tank was really dirty. I also put a new section of fuel line in. It works much better now. :P thanks

ya welcome
Old 03-10-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
stevebob100

Hey what part of iowa do ya live in? I live in southern minnesota like 7 miles from the border.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:06 PM   #6
Aten

waterloo-cedar falls, youre like almost a 100 some miles away I think