Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2003, 05:50 AM   #1
Aten

Re: This is weird...ok, it's almost extraterrestrial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
This is a fairly common occurence with these. Look closely at the connector coming out of the alternator, the larger one of the two. You'll probably find the wires starting to burn. Also have a competent tech (not Autozone, Advance, et al) check your alternator. As it has an integral regulator its cheaper and easier to replace the whole thing if needed. A good part includes a new pigtail (wiring connector) in the box.

Don't let this go too long as I've seen this take out ECM's which equals $$$$$. Good luck, let me know what you find. 8)

I had the same problem when I got my 92 crown vic, not nearly as pronounced, but the engine would drop and rise in rpms and the headlights/dash lights would dim.

vwhobo is right.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
krownvikballa2003
CF Newbie

This is weird...ok, it's almost extraterrestrial.

Look, I'm sure you're gonna call me a lunatic or something, but this really happened. I've got a '91 Crown Vic (just look at my screen name wink ), which in my opinion is a pretty fine car. The other day, after I had been sitting at idle for a long long time, the dash lights went really dim (almost like my battery was going weak) and this is where the freaky shit started. When I pused the power window button, the load it placed was so bad it made the dash lights go out and the air bag light started flashing. What tops that off is my CD player was going on and off by itself. Ok, I think I'm going to stop there because obviously you're scared shitless...but has anybody ever heard of the voltage regulator causing problems like this? That's about the only thing I can guess is wrong at this point in time.
krownvikballa2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownvikballa2003
Look, I'm sure you're gonna call me a lunatic or something, but this really happened. I've got a '91 Crown Vic (just look at my screen name ), which in my opinion is a pretty fine car. The other day, after I had been sitting at idle for a long long time, the dash lights went really dim (almost like my battery was going weak) and this is where the freaky shit started. When I pused the power window button, the load it placed was so bad it made the dash lights go out and the air bag light started flashing. What tops that off is my CD player was going on and off by itself. Ok, I think I'm going to stop there because obviously you're scared shitless...but has anybody ever heard of the voltage regulator causing problems like this? That's about the only thing I can guess is wrong at this point in time.

This is a fairly common occurence with these. Look closely at the connector coming out of the alternator, the larger one of the two. You'll probably find the wires starting to burn. Also have a competent tech (not Autozone, Advance, et al) check your alternator. As it has an integral regulator its cheaper and easier to replace the whole thing if needed. A good part includes a new pigtail (wiring connector) in the box.

Don't let this go too long as I've seen this take out ECM's which equals $$$$$. Good luck, let me know what you find. 8)

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Look, I'm sure you're gonna call me a lunatic or something, but this really happened. I've got a '91 Crown Vic (just look at my screen name ), which in my opinion is a pretty fine car. The other day, after I had been sitting at idle for a long long time, the dash lights went really dim (almost like my battery was going weak) and this is where the freaky shit started. When I pused the power window button, the load it placed was so bad it made the dash lights go out and the air bag light started flashing. What tops that off is my CD player was going on and off by itself. Ok, I think I'm going to stop there because obviously you're scared shitless...but has anybody ever heard of the voltage regulator causing problems like this? That's about the only thing I can guess is wrong at this point in time.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-26-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
bLen
CF Newbie

Quote:
Quote:

yeah thats probably it, but mabye you do have a messed battery :S
Old 03-26-2003, 09:59 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLen
Quote:
Quote:

yeah thats probably it, but mabye you do have a messed battery :S

Dildo boy speaks!

Old 03-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
bLen
CF Newbie

dood whats your problem
Old 03-26-2003, 10:04 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
dood whats your problem

That's the third time you've asked me that. Read closely. Know it all little know nothings like you. The reason you're here is to see your name pasted all over the main page and to keep from getting beat up at school. If you have something useful or interesting to say, please do so. Until then go away.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:06 PM   #9
bLen
CF Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
dood whats your problem

That's the third time you've asked me that. Read closely. Know it all little know nothings like you. The reason you're here is to see your name pasted all over the main page and to keep from getting beat up at school. If you have something useful or interesting to say, please do so. Until then go away.

well if ur asking me, that wasnt very useful, go back upstairs your mom is done coooking dinner for you
Old 03-26-2003, 10:52 PM   #10
JU5TIN
CF Newbie

Ben about your advice for the guy asking the question, I am pretty sure he would have already checked the battery and all the connectiong but OK, I'll got with it, it could have been the battery.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I'm sure he is...but is it the wires that are starting to burn or the regulator?

Well I can't see the car, you can. The regulator going bad and the wires burning are two seperate problems although thay can be related and even occur simultaneously.

You need to remember that when diagnosing a car from in front of the computer instead of under the hood I'm going by experience, not touching and seeing. If you want to know for sure and can't figure it out for yourself you'll need to pay someone to do it.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:28 PM   #12
krownvikballa2003
CF Newbie

I'm sure he is...but is it the wires that are starting to burn or the regulator?
krownvikballa2003 is offline   Reply With Quote