Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
Wonderbread7608
CF Newbie

"Performance" License?

I think they should have different levels of licenses. They should make you get a license pefore you do performance mods, to keep kids from wrapping themselves around trees because of lack of experience. Doesn't mean if you have the license you can speed, etc... but lets you do performace mods. You should have to take a test, like the regular one, except it should be harder, to show you are capable of handling a more powerful car. What do you guys think?
Wonderbread7608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Diomedes
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbread7608
I think they should have different levels of licenses. They should make you get a license pefore you do performance mods, to keep kids from wrapping themselves around trees because of lack of experience. Doesn't mean if you have the license you can speed, etc... but lets you do performace mods. You should have to take a test, like the regular one, except it should be harder, to show you are capable of handling a more powerful car. What do you guys think?

I definately agree with you. There's certain times when these little 16 year olds just getting their license and having watched "The Fast And The Furious" one too many times think they're the best driver ever. Not only do they crack-up their car, but they may injure someone else.
Especially when their parents have money. I live in a very wealthy neighborhood, and a ton of kids parents go off and buy them really nice first cars. No lie, some kids parents got him a Mazda RX-8 as his first car. Stupid in my opinion, but I do agree about a performance license.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

that would be awesome. aftermarket companies should be set to only be able to sell parts, atleast the big parts, to those with this license.

maybe only allow small things, like body kits (just cuz maybe they want a simple show car with no power mods), rims, and stupid little things like those, though i think that may be enough to get them to crash again....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Oh this is a great idea! Maybe we can separate the Performance Licence into "stages" where stage one would be the lowest and allows speeds not to exceed 45mph. Stage two would allow actual freeway/highway speeds..and so on. After stage five, you can add an air dam and the last end all stage 25 Performance License would allow the awe inspiring carbon-fiber grocery cart handle on the rear deck!! You would then know who has the skills to drive and who doesn't. Just think of the added pride in having one of those huge rear wings on the car and the respect it would demand as the lesser peons look on you as a god of driving. I know even today without the Performance License, I just dream of adding a rear wing to my car...the bigger the better!

Oh...oh...I had another idea...you know how in martial arts after receiving the black belt, there come the degrees of black belts...like 1st degree black belt...3rd degree black belt...

Well, I just thought...after the 25th Stage Performance License, we can then move to 1st Degree Performance License which would allow for a double-wing grocery cart handle on the rear deck of the rice car...I mean Perfomance Car...

(sarcasm at it's lowest form)

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
sc0rched
CF Newbie

Quote:
They should make you get a license pefore you do performance mods, to keep kids from wrapping themselves around trees because of lack of experience. Doesn't mean if you have the license you can speed, etc... but lets you do performace mods.

I dont see much sense in this here... License's are created in things that can be dangerous if used in a wrong manner so they give it to mature people only who can handle it. Performance modding is not very dangerous... how many deaths do you see from modding a car?? Only problem I see is if the output of the mod caused somthing to go wrong, however, then they wont even get themselves on the street if the car isnt functioning right.

Quote:
I definately agree with you. There's certain times when these little 16 year olds just getting their license and having watched "The Fast And The Furious" one too many times think they're the best driver ever. Not only do they crack-up their car, but they may injure someone else.

If we have a lisence to drive a sports car, we should have a license for driving any car to because SUV's handle akward to so we should have a lisence to drive them also because thier car can roll, and kill people.

The fact is there are drivers in this world who just SUCK and it doesnt matter what age they are. Maybe its just the standard of getting a normal lisence that needs to be upped instead of getting individual licenses for everything.

The only thing I can agree with you on somewhat is that people tend to speed with performance cars which can cause deaths and injuries. However, how would making a new license solve any problem. Cars are dangerous with bad drivers no matter what model you get.

I would be more scared with a 16 year old in a Hummer than a sports car, because in a Hummer they can injure you, in a performance car they have a higher risk of injurying themselve more.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Wonderbread7608
CF Newbie

well... there are kids at my school who mooch off their parents and get custom turbo kits, and end up crashing it a week later because they didn't know how to control a powerful car. I agree about the license thing, I wouldn't mind the test being harder if it would keep me and the people around me safeer while i drive.

Look at it this way, is it easier to kill yourself when you have a stock 95 honda civic with 100hp or your turbo civic with 200+ hp street racing because you think your a badass?
Wonderbread7608 is offline   Reply With Quote