Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2004, 03:59 AM   #1
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

"Great" Cars

I was wondering what made cars like the Ferrari 275 GTB, Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS, and Shelby Cobra so "GREAT!" They are incredibly awesome, but what makes them so popular?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 AM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

some were technological advances. for example, the porsche 2.7 RS was one of the first vehicles to introduce advanced technology to help reduce turbo lag (if im not mistaken that is, but im quite sure about it).

the cobra was remarkably, one of the best muscle cars of its era, if not, the best roadster of all times.

as for the ferrari, sorry, but dont have a clue.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:28 PM   #3
Pac127
CF Newbie

well when you see a new model you almost immediatly form an opinion. when the new model looks incredibly awsome and is incredibly fast ........well people are gonna like the car.
RS = really slow
after swap
RS = ridiculous speed
Pac127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Most of those cars got their following from racetrack victories. Ferraris had been the elite of road racing since 1948. Porsche/s were small engien cars that ran with the big boys. Cobras were American hot rod homebrews designed to take on the Europeans and win at their home venues.

Ferraris are often considered works of mechanical art, as are many Italian exotics. Porsches are simply functional performance cars that have been part of a huge racing dynasty. In both cases, some models are more important than others, and some are just considered sentimental favorites. And when you have a beautiful exotic, rare, expensive, and fully capable performance car, it gets a following. Race track successes are a plus.

No the Porsche Carrera 2.7 RS didn't do anything with turbos. It wasn't turbocharged. it was, however, a limited edition GT designed to go racing in European Group 4 road racing, which required a minimum of 500 examples to be built. 1600+ were sold, reclassifying the car as Group 3 production GT. the first 1300 of them ere made with lighter than normal steel bodies.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Cobras were American hot rod homebrews designed to take on the Europeans and win at their home venues.

dont wanna be flamed, but wasn't the cobra actually an english car with a yank motor? i should probably go do the research for the name of the car before the transplant, but limited time while at work. I'm preety sure it was though.

It was also the car responsible for implementing a speed limit on british roads
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed
dont wanna be flamed, but wasn't the cobra actually an english car with a yank motor? i should probably go do the research for the name of the car before the transplant, but limited time while at work. I'm preety sure it was though.

It was also the car responsible for implementing a speed limit on british roads

Actually, yes, teh original Cobra was an AC Ace with a Ford 260 Cid V8 (changed to a 289 V8 for the second car built) . But that's the concept of a hot rod: take another light car, and put a big engine in it, make it work. Hot rodders were doing that with Anglias, Fiat Topolinos, and the like as well as older American cars.

But the 427 Cobra was a purely Shelby design, on a new frame, with Cobra-specific bodywork.

This is the 289 Cobra:

http://www.bilavefur.com/myndasafn/1...%20427=KRM.jpg

http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/maga...life/page6.jpg

and this, of course, is the 427 Cobra:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 AM   #7
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Thanx. This has really cleared up alot.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

I really want to look into getting one of those superformance.com Cobra kit cars with the 427 or 460. So nice.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:45 AM   #9
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

Thanks for the artical chrisv Plus I never get sick of seeing those cars in all forms, from the ace to the cobra to the kits.
just lovely lookin cars that I think will remain timeless classics forever.

btw, in the artical it mentioned the jensens. do you have any links to good info on the cv8? all i find is car clubs for the owners, but i'd like to get hold of a similar article from back in the days when they were a current car.

thanks for any info you can provide.
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
lutz
Top-Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Most of those cars got their following from racetrack victories. Ferraris had been the elite of road racing since 1948. Porsche/s were small engien cars that ran with the big boys. Cobras were American hot rod homebrews designed to take on the Europeans and win at their home venues.

Ferraris are often considered works of mechanical art, as are many Italian exotics. Porsches are simply functional performance cars that have been part of a huge racing dynasty. In both cases, some models are more important than others, and some are just considered sentimental favorites. And when you have a beautiful exotic, rare, expensive, and fully capable performance car, it gets a following. Race track successes are a plus.

No the Porsche Carrera 2.7 RS didn't do anything with turbos. It wasn't turbocharged. it was, however, a limited edition GT designed to go racing in European Group 4 road racing, which required a minimum of 500 examples to be built. 1600+ were sold, reclassifying the car as Group 3 production GT. the first 1300 of them ere made with lighter than normal steel bodies.

I agree, it couldn't be explained better how to understand those icons of their era. Perfect ChrisV!

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote