Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004, 04:25 AM   #1
STi Guy
CF Newbie

The Return of Muscle Cars

For the last 30 years, muscle cars have been going downhill to the point where muscle cars are now know as legendary cars from the '60s and '70s. They have lost their names, and now the few that are still produced today are under rated. But, over the next few years, muscle cars are going to make a huge come back, and rekindle the legacy of american muscle. To give you guys a better idea of what I'm talking about, let me go through each manufacturer, and the V8 competitors they will be unleashing over the next few years.

(Alphabetically)

CHEVROLET: Chevy has stated numerous times in numerous magazines that #1 they're still not quite sure they want to get rid of the Camaro line (despite horrible sales in the last few years of the 4th generation Camaro), and #2 they promise that they will have a worthy competitor for the 2005 Mustang (and they weren't talking about the Cobalt). Not to mention the vast amounts of rumors that Chevy wants to create the 5th generation Camaro in the image of it's late 60s ancestor (due to all the commotion created by the look of the new Mustang). It had been strongly hinted, and now confirmed, that GM was working on a sporty car for Chevrolet which includes a 5.3-liter V-8 engine, rear-wheel drive, and four-passenger capacity. And there are also rumors that a sporty Z28 will debut a year after the release of the next Camaro, with a potential 6.0 liter V8 (borrowed from the new Corvette C6) under the hood. Besides, how could muscle cars make their comeback without the legendary Camaro?

2006-2007 Chevy Camaro (Z28)
Engine: 400 hp, 6.0 liter V8
Performance: <5.2 sec. (if the 2002 had a 5.2 second 0-60, then the new one will most likely exceed that)
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...amaro_13_z.jpg (Z28 concept based on GM's 2007 Camaro concept drawing)

DODGE: Dodge has always had a good reputation of being a reliable providor of American muscle(ex. Dodge Viper, Ram SRT-10). But sources say that Dodge is planning on reviving one of the most legendary muscle cars known to man: The Charger. With Dodge/Chrystler's Special Racing Team (SRT) hard at work on the next Charger, there are three engine powerplants planned for the new Charger, the most promising of all being the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 (also seen on the Dodge Magnum and Chrystler 300C). But with a new 425 hp 300C SRT-8, the Charger may have a shot at a more powerful engine to mark the top of the line. Let's just hope Dodge uses it's head on this one. Either way, keep your eyes open, it holds tons of promise.

2006-2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8
Engine: 425 hp, 6.1 liter Hemi V8
Performance: <5.0sec. (if the 300C SRT-8 can speed to 60 mph in 5 seconds with an automatic tranny, imagine what a Charger SRT-8 with manual transmission will be able to accomplish!)
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...dodge_01_z.jpg (Charger Concept)

FORD: The Mustang is without a doubt one of the most well known muscle cars around. With the new body style hewing closely to the popular look of the late '60s Mustang, Ford expects to see good results from its next-generation pony. But the real deal comes a year later, when Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) releases the new Cobra in 2006 as a 2007 model. The new Cobra is expected to have around 400 hp (100hp up from the new GT model), gunning for the new Corvette. Sources say its looks are to resemble the Mustang GT Concept from the Detroit Auto Show. Despite delays with the new Cobra, it is expected to be Ford highest-performing Mustang ever.

2007 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Engine: 400+ hp, 4.6 liter V8
Performance: <4.9 sec. (if the current SVT Cobra has a 4.9 second 0-60, then obviously the new one will be at least that fast with at least 10 extra hp and improved suspension)
http://www.autotudos.hu/kep_het_kep_...ept_na gy.jpg (Mustang GT/SVT Cobra Concept)

PONTIAC: Pontiac has been receiving a lot of attention lately with the revival of the GTO (as well it should). But recently, Pontiac has just released an even newer GTO for 2005, with available hood scoops and twin dual exhausts. But it's not the new exterior modifications that make this GTO worthy of the muscle car badging, it's the new 6.0 liter V8 LS2 borrowed from the new Corvette C6. Boasting 400 hp (50 hp up from the current GTO), this new GTO has enough power to take on such cars as the Cadillac CTS-V or even it's cousin, the Corvette. It may not have the name "Judge", but this new GTO isn't just any upgrade, it's Pontiac's newest muscle car.

2005 Pontiac GTO
Engine: 400 hp, 6.0 liter V8
Performance: <5.0 sec. (estimated)
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5573

So that seems to be the line up for now, who knows what the future of muscle cars has in store. I myself am looking forward to the new SVT Cobra the most, but that's just because I'm a Mustang guy. Everything I have just stated here is information from magazine and internet articles I have read in the last year or so, so all of it is assumed to be true. Just wanted to throw that out there, but it sure is cool that the muscle cars are finally making their come back!

Last edited by STi Guy : 02-08-2005 at 06:35 AM.
STi Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Just wanted to comment the Mustang was never really considered a muscle car, but rather a pony car. Some can argue the 428/429 Mustangs were, but they still really weren't..not an intermediate/large car.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:09 AM   #3
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

It looks like a bright future for muscle cars! The 2005 GTO sounds really sweet! A new Camaro based of the 60's model is a great idea for Chevrolet. And the Charger will definitely get a lot of attention! I'm excited!
Old 09-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

What!!! The Camaro is coming back? The Dodge Charger too? YES! The 2005-2010 semester of cars is gonna be great! Oldschool is here to stay! Just wait till honda brings out that new CRX, this is a great time to be a car enthuisiast....

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
What!!! The Camaro is coming back? The Dodge Charger too? YES! The 2005-2010 semester of cars is gonna be great! Oldschool is here to stay! Just wait till honda brings out that new CRX, this is a great time to be a car enthuisiast....

At this point Chevrolet has no plans for a new Camaro. They shut down that plant that made them I heard (up in Canada) ...

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Just wait till honda brings out that new CRX, this is a great time to be a car enthuisiast....
I cant wait for the CRX, I love them so much. I'm more excited about it then the V8 crew coming our way.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
I cant wait for the CRX, I love them so much. I'm more excited about it then the V8 crew coming our way.

I think the Jazz is now our CRX....sadly enough.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Just wanted to comment the Mustang was never really considered a muscle car, but rather a pony car. Some can argue the 428/429 Mustangs were, but they still really weren't..not an intermediate/large car.

"muscle cars" weren't limited to intermediate/large bodies. The mustang WAS an intermediate sized car. Basically an intermediate sized car was any small body with a V-8 option. Yes it was a pony car, but by the late 60's, they were muscle cars. The rims/tires were widened, the supsension was upgraded, more room was made under the hood for larger engines, there were more transmission and rear-end options as well as more engine options. Tell me the solid lifter hi-po 289 or the boss 302 weren't respectable small blocks for that era and I'll just know you're silly then.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
"muscle cars" weren't limited to intermediate/large bodies. The mustang WAS an intermediate sized car. Basically an intermediate sized car was any small body with a V-8 option. Yes it was a pony car, but by the late 60's, they were muscle cars. The rims/tires were widened, the supsension was upgraded, more room was made under the hood for larger engines, there were more transmission and rear-end options as well as more engine options. Tell me the solid lifter hi-po 289 or the boss 302 weren't respectable small blocks for that era and I'll just know you're silly then.

time for some pre-emptive (sp?)

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird

That's still highly debatable. Some enthusists will agree with you and some just won't. I don't, but in this case classifying a muscle car is really just left up to the person, arguing about it is like trying to convince a conservative to become a liberal and a liberal to become a conservative. The Mustang was made as a pony car and always remained a pony car in my opinion. No changing that.

I agree though the 4bbl 289 HiPo and Boss 302 engines were kickers.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #11
philsshon
CF Newbie

well, i like the new gto and mustang. I'm not sure how much i like the new charger though.

<link removed>

Last edited by SuperJew : 09-06-2004 at 05:42 PM.
philsshon is offline   Reply With Quote