Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2003, 05:42 AM   #1
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Wow, I'm just opposite. I think the new GTO is a sellout. Just GM's way of cashing in on an old name plate. Just a dressed up Grand Am. The Mustang on the other hand is a modern statement of a timeless design. With every line, bulge, and curve it exudes muscle car. There's no mistaking it for what it is.
Widowmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
KuChA

Any pics of the 2005 Mustangs?

I was womdering if anyone has pics on the new style mutsnags since every1 is talking about it?

GTOs comin back [/u]
Old 05-27-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

it was in a car and driver a few months back...forget which month...sorry (it was on the cover and inside too)
Conc3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:08 AM   #4
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

GTO:

Charger:

Old 06-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #5
TM875
CF Newbie

The GTO I love, but the Mustang...

::cries::
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
Chekr

The Mustang is okay. I'm glad a really cool exotic looking car is being introduced into the market such that you can get one without being a millionaire, but the GTO looks cheap...

The charger looks great. But Dodge stole the Viper's thunder with that front end. Now the Viper looks wimpy, and they're making the Charger the ultimate muscle car... I guess.

I'm young, and stupid, and pretty much all my life, the Viper has owned the road in my views as being the most graceful muscle car.

Still, the Charger has a great look to it, and the Mustang is good too.

{{Edited for stupid speelig mistakes}}
Old 07-16-2003, 03:38 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
Wow, I'm just opposite. I think the new GTO is a sellout. Just GM's way of cashing in on an old name plate. Just a dressed up Grand Am. The Mustang on the other hand is a modern statement of a timeless design. With every line, bulge, and curve it exudes muscle car. There's no mistaking it for what it is.

Just a dressed up Grand Am, eh? Oddly enough the Grand Am is FWD with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. The GTO is RWD with an aluminum 5.7 liter V8. General Motors sure did alot of dressing up to do that. No, wait a minute. It's not a Grand Am at all, it's a repackaged Holden Monaro from our friends in Australia.

In the future please ensure you are at least close to the facts before hitting submit.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:08 AM   #8
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

I'm sorry but it resembles a grocery-getter much more clearly than the mustang does. It is not at all true to it's original name-plate in terms of styling. While calling it a dressed up grand-am is a bit of an overstatement, it holds true in that it is not nearly as performance-oriented as the car it is replacing.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
Vassar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
I'm sorry but it resembles a grocery-getter much more clearly than the mustang does. It is not at all true to it's original name-plate in terms of styling. While calling it a dressed up grand-am is a bit of an overstatement, it holds true in that it is not nearly as performance-oriented as the car it is replacing.

Dude, what do you think the original GTO was? It was a grocery-getting family car, with a big engine. The original GTO was never meant to be a performance car and even C&D proved that. Infact, C&D hated the car because GM just used the basic Monaro platform. I'm sorry, but vwhobo does know what he's talking about. The GTO was NEVER about performance, but people eventually turned them into performance cars because they had a strong engine.
Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:01 AM   #10
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar
Dude, what do you think the original GTO was? It was a grocery-getting family car, with a big engine. The original GTO was never meant to be a performance car and even C&D proved that. Infact, C&D hated the car because GM just used the basic Monaro platform. I'm sorry, but vwhobo does know what he's talking about. The GTO was NEVER about performance, but people eventually turned them into performance cars because they had a strong engine.

Same with the Chevelle too.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:02 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Damn, I'm sorry I know what I'm talking about too. From reading your few posts so far, I'm gonna say you look like you've done more than read "Import Tuner" magazine to learn about cars.

I do have to correct you on one point. When the GTO first came out it was all about performance. That's exactly why they took a stripper grocery getter and put a monster (for the time) engine in it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-03-2004, 01:08 AM   #12
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Damn, I'm sorry I know what I'm talking about too. From reading your few posts so far, I'm gonna say you look like you've done more than read "Import Tuner" magazine to learn about cars.

I do have to correct you on one point. When the GTO first came out it was all about performance. That's exactly why they took a stripper grocery getter and put a monster (for the time) engine in it.

What was it based off of when they first came out? Le Mans or the Catalina? There might've been something else too.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
What was it based off of when they first came out? Le Mans or the Catalina? There might've been something else too.
Technically the Tempest. That'd be a good name for a glam rock band.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:09 AM   #14
Vassar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

You know, the main magazines I read are Import Tuner and C&D.

I don't know where I got that the GTO wasn't performance. I might have read something about the Tempest and stuck it with the GTO. The Tempest was the grocery-getter, the GTO was a Tempest with a bigger engine. Damn, I don't know where I got that from.
Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
You know, the main magazines I read are Import Tuner and C&D.

I don't know where I got that the GTO wasn't performance. I might have read something about the Tempest and stuck it with the GTO. The Tempest was the grocery-getter, the GTO was a Tempest with a bigger engine. Damn, I don't know where I got that from.
Hey, shit happens. I'm still looking for some discussion about "Mutsnags".