Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Dewey
CF Newbie

4g63 cyclone

I drive a 96 eclipse. I am considering swapping my stock motor 4 a 4g63 cyclone motor. I was wondering what would the power increase be? And is it worth $1,650. The price also incudes Intakemanifold exhaust manifold rest of accessories manual transmissionand ECU.Thank you 4 taking the time 2 read.

Last edited by Dewey : 09-02-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey
I drive a 96 eclipse. I am considering swapping my stock motor 4 a 4g63 cyclone motor. I was wondering what would the power increase be? And is it worth $1,650. The price also incudes Intakemanifold exhaust manifold rest of accessories manual transmissionand ECU.Thank you 4 taking the time 2 read.

As long as it's a 6 bolt 4g63T you're good to go!

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Dewey
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
As long as it's a 6 bolt 4g63T you're good to go!
What do You mean By 6 bolt?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:49 AM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
What do You mean By 6 bolt?

There are 3 types of 4G63's You got a 4G63(N/A) 4G63T Cylcone(Turbo) and a 4G63T(Modfied for Evos). They all have either 6 or 7 bolts that attach the engine to the flywheel, or engine to the transmission, either or I forget sometimes. The 7-Bolt motors wich were used in some 93-94 and all of 95-98 Eclipse motors.

The 7-Bolt motors have a serious complication called "crankwalk". Now not all of them do, but a good number of the 7-bolt numbers will crankwalk. This is a condition where the crankshaft of the car is unbalanced and begins to rub against the CPS(crank position sensor) and destroys the crankshaft berrings. Not good; In the event this happens you WILL have to replace the motor, unless you catch it early.

If you're going to buy a 1G(1st Generation 90-94) eclipse, then u should be fine, because I have yet to see anymore than a handfull of those crankwalk.

If you're going to buy a 2G(2nd Generation 95-99) eclipse, then there is a good possiblity you could get crankwalk, especially in the 96-97 models.

Anywhos, I was just giving you some information on Eclipses wich does'nt pertain to you if you're buying a motor from a JDM company. All they sell are 6-Bolt motors(you could probably get 7-bolt on special request), The 4G63T Cyclone motors give about 190-210 HP at the crank. $1600 is'nt a bad price, but I'd have to recommend you go to www.totaljdm.com to get the motor. They are the best JDM motor company arround. I believe their going rate is $1400(everything included). Also you're going to need a 2G bracket kit to put the 1G 6-Bolt motor in your car. The information on how to install a 2G-1G swap can be found at www.dsmtuners.com. The job is a fairly easy bolt in, but my buddy, whom owns a Talon, says he can't pass emissions with the cylcone intake head(He lives in SoCal). So you may have to fork up another $20 bucks to get a USDM 1G intake header off a car in the junkyard.

Hope this helps good luck.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
Dewey
CF Newbie

In simpler terms could I do it with out spending over $2000. Would it be possable to do it by myself and four other friends(two of wichhave experince). And is my Eclipse a 6 or 7-bolt if your not for sure how can i tell.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
In simpler terms could I do it with out spending over $2000. Would it be possable to do it by myself and four other friends(two of wichhave experince). And is my Eclipse a 6 or 7-bolt if your not for sure how can i tell.

Yes it can be done without spending over $2000, provided that you don't run into any problems. Its possible to do it by yourself if you have somone to help you lift the engine and drop the tranny(I've done it by myself). I sureley hope two of your friends have experience in doing an engine/tranny swap on an AWD car.

Your car is a 7-Bolt. You can tell my counting the bolts that connect the flywheel to the engine(looks like a big gear at the end of the engine) You won't be able to count these until you take the engine out.(FYI)

Anywhos, if you're going to swap the tranny I suggest you get a manual(search arround on that site I posted above) for the proper torque specs and diagrams for the suspension. It gets kinda hectic and sometimes you may need a book to guide you.

Good Luck

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
eagletalonracer
CF Newbie

running an eagle talon 2litre DOHC as rookie stock car

i was wondering what would be the best motor to swap into my talon???? the division rules for racing state that it has to be naturally aspired (non-turbo) and not over 3 litres... now the casing for the 5 speed is cracked so it will be a motor and transmission swap... if i have to i have no problem with doing some mod's and a little fabricating to get a newer, higher horse power motor into the car, i need suggestions!!! last year we put a 300ZX motor into a 240SX car so i know that there's got to be a sweet swap for this car.
eagletalonracer is offline   Reply With Quote